Ups not the company you father remembers:

Brokedownandbrown

Ups has become its on worst enemy.

Then RPS rolled out in the 80's and the brass at UPS laughed at this inept operation. Management did not put a plan in place to crush them.

UPS went public in 2000 and made instant millionaires of many upper management, never did anything to eliminate RPS. The millionaires retired and took their money and ran.

Fed Ex bought RPS and dump millions into the system made them a stronger competitor.

Now current brass wants to retire with their millions and will do what ever it takes to get their money.

Eskew and Davis have 250,000 shares of stock which is worth 20 million a piece.

Ups is not the only large corporation that has the I got mine and screw anybody that gets in their way!

moreluck

golden ticket member

Then RPS rolled out in the 80's and the brass at UPS laughed at this inept operation. Management did not put a plan in place to crush them.

UPS went public in 2000 and made instant millionaires of many upper management, never did anything to eliminate RPS. The millionaires retired and took their money and ran.

Fed Ex bought RPS and dump millions into the system made them a stronger competitor.

Now current brass wants to retire with their millions and will do what ever it takes to get their money.

Ups is not the only large corporation that has the I got mine and screw anybody that gets in their way!

The "I got mine and screw everybody ..." comment is about 97% of the population today.(didn't used to be)
To put that second to the last statement in perspective.....Justin Bieber made $55 million last year......wth???

Catatonic

Nine Lives

That may have been true of a very few but most were already millionaires anyway ... these people did not cash in their stock or, if they did, just a small percentage.
They, as stock-owners, live off the dividends which are increasing consistently.
I know ex-UPSers that retired back in the 90's and early 00's that held onto their stock that have dividends over $100,000 a year.
Of course, some higher up ex-UPSers have dividends over $500,000 a year.
That's the real action in UPS stock and it would have happened regardless of going public or not.

Limper

Out For Delivery
Davis and Eskew are millionaires......so what? All CEO's are wealthy. My problem with Davis is his 2 million raise in the climate of my manager and supervisors taking cut after cut with MIP, health care, pension, etc. it's not the money,
its the message it sends.

InsideUPS

That may have been true of a very few but most were already millionaires anyway ... these people did not cash in their stock or, if they did, just a small percentage.
They, as stock-owners, live off the dividends which are increasing consistently.
I know ex-UPSers that retired back in the 90's and early 00's that held onto their stock that have dividends over $100,000 a year.
Of course, some higher up ex-UPSers have dividends over $500,000 a year.
That's the real action in UPS stock and it would have happened regardless of going public or not.

Hoaxster, thank you for the additional insight into UPS stock.

Could you explain your comment "That's the real action in UPS stock and it would have happened regardless of going public or not". From the best of my recollection, UPS stock was valued around $25 per share before the IPO.

Do you really believe that there would have been the same number of UPS multi-millionaires without going public? Right before the IPO....the UPS management I knew were racing to invest their 401k's into buying UPS stock (something that we hourly were prohibited from doing). Also, management hypothecation loans were at an all time high. This was around the same time that we hourly were forced to sell our Thrift Plan investments (which we later discovered was actually UPS stock). Basically.....we hourly were forced to sell LOW....and buy at twice the amount that we sold for following the IPO. Hardly what I think of as being a "partner" in the company.

UPS stock and money from profits seems to be one of the few materials that defies "gravity".......... I believe that this "Trickle Down" place people talk about must be somewhere in Australia....or China.......(Blue Font)

Oh well.....those "Good Old Days" of new management becoming multi-millionaires is over...... that is of course unless they buy a winning lottery ticket.

As a side note.....interesting Insider Trading the past few months.... Sells out numbering Buys....not too difficult to figure out why???

[h=3]Insider Summary[/h]
TypeLast 3 Mo.Last 12 Mo.
Number of Insider Trades2979
Number of Buys25
Number of Sells2774
Net Activity(126,712)(358,811)
Total Shares Traded:144,112568,947
Number of Shares Bought:8,700105,068
Number of Shares Sold:135,412463,879

Read more: United Parcel Service, Inc. (UPS) Insider Trading Activity (SEC Form 4) - NASDAQ.com
Screen shot 2013-03-09 at 12.47.01 PM.png
UPSIPO.jpg

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoaxster, thank you for the additional insight into UPS stock.

1) Could you explain your comment "That's the real action in UPS stock and it would have happened regardless of going public or not". From the best of my recollection, UPS stock was valued around $25 per share before the IPO.

2) Do you really believe that there would have been the same number of UPS multi-millionaires without going public?

Right before the IPO....the UPS management I knew were racing to invest their 401k's into buying UPS stock (something that we hourly were prohibited from doing).

3) Also, management hypothecation loans were at an all time high.

4) This was around the same time that we hourly were forced to sell our Thrift Plan investments (which we later discovered was actually UPS stock). Basically.....we hourly were forced to sell LOW....and buy at twice the amount that we sold for following the IPO. Hardly what I think of as being a "partner" in the company.

UPS stock and money from profits seems to be one of the few materials that defies "gravity".......... I believe that this "Trickle Down" place people talk about must be somewhere in Australia....or China.......(Blue Font)

Oh well.....those "Good Old Days" of new management becoming multi-millionaires is over...... that is of course unless they buy a winning lottery ticket.

5) As a side note.....interesting Insider Trading the past few months.... Sells out numbering Buys....not too difficult to figure out why???

Read more: United Parcel Service, Inc. (UPS) Insider Trading Activity (SEC Form 4) - NASDAQ.com

1) Could you explain your comment "That's the real action in UPS stock and it would have happened regardless of going public or not". From the best of my recollection, UPS stock was valued around $25 per share before the IPO.

The dividend has been rather consistent - it did not jump with the IPO not did it go down with 9/11 or 2008 crash.
You are hung up on the price of UPS Stock where the real value is in the dividends.
This is what was preached to us in the 70s, 80s and some of the 90s.

2) Do you really believe that there would have been the same number of UPS multi-millionaires without going public?

Yes I do. I think the price of UPS stock by 2005 would have been the same as the price is was as a public stock.
I actually think there would be more UPS millionaires today if UPS had stayed private.

3) Also, management hypothecation loans were at an all time high.

Many of these people did not sell UPS stock to pay off their hypos (relying on dividends to pay interest) and they had their stock sold in a margin call during the 2008 crash. Then they had to sell more stock to pay the taxes on the stock involuntarily sold in the margin calls.
Many of these people lost 2/3's to 3/4's of their wealth. You may want to pity them rather than being jealous.

4) This was around the same time that we hourly were forced to sell our Thrift Plan investments ...

This was all employees not just hourlies.

5) As a side note.....interesting Insider Trading the past few months.... Sells out numbering Buys....not too difficult to figure out why???

Paying taxes on stock options awarded? Most likely why
Diversification? Probably to some extend
Top UPS executives don't believe in UPS? Not too likely