UPS (NYSE:UPS) is Keeping its Debt under Control

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS (NYSE:UPS) is Keeping its Debt under Control - Yahoo

United Parcel Service, Inc. ( NYSE:UPS ) released third quarter results yesterday. The stock price gained nearly 7% after the company beat consensus estimates on the top and bottom line and raised full year guidance.

Highlights from the quarterly results:
  • Consolidated revenues were up 9.2% year-on-year, to $23.2b. This increase was off a high base set a year ago, and 27% higher than the third quarter in 2019.
  • Diluted EPS were up 18.3% year-on-year at $2.71.
  • US Domestic segment operating profit up 28%.
  • Full year guidance for revenue growth raised to 13.8%.
  • Full year guidance for operating margin raised to 13%.
The market evidently approved of these results and is anticipating a strong holiday season despite the ongoing supply chain issues.

meritocracy

After hearing how the PVD stuff went for a friend of a friend I struggle to comprehend how it's profitable for the company. Bunch of idiots getting paid top rate or damn close PLUS MILEAGE and most of their time is spent driving around getting lost and occasionally dropping off one small package at a time.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
After hearing how the PVD stuff went for a friend of a friend I struggle to comprehend how it's profitable for the company. Bunch of idiots getting paid top rate or damn close PLUS MILEAGE and most of their time is spent driving around getting lost and occasionally dropping off one small package at a time.
I’m not sure of PVD status, but I think there’s No medical for their family, I don’t think they pay into SSI or WC for them, no PTO or sick time….lots of averted costs.
@Challenger can enlighten us.

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
Top rate? Not even close. The rate is about 1/2 of that. IMO it's still GREAT $. Mileage, I mean "MILEAGE"?? HA! Mileage is 50 cents. Considering the price of gas and the wear and tear on a vehicle the mileage is far from decent compensation.
"Driving around getting lost"? Maybe I suppose sometimes. I never got lost or even close to lost. I was slow when I picked up stops from an unfamiliar route when it was dark but I otherwise averaged more than 20 stops/hr on a residential route that was 2/3 somewhat tight and 1/3 slightly spread out. I'm not experienced enough to know if this is a good average or an average average but my route, without the additional stops I'd usually pick up, would be about 110 stops and 35 miles. I'd do this in about 6.5 hrs which included 1-1/2 sorting and loading around 150 packages.
I have to say that I LOVE this job and it sucks that's it's winding down.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Top rate? Not even close. The rate is about 1/2 of that. IMO it's still GREAT $. Mileage, I mean "MILEAGE"?? HA! Mileage is 50 cents. Considering the price of gas and the wear and tear on a vehicle the mileage is far from decent compensation.
"Driving around getting lost"? Maybe I suppose sometimes. I never got lost or even close to lost. I was slow when I picked up stops from an unfamiliar route when it was dark but I otherwise averaged more than 20 stops/hr on a residential route that was 2/3 somewhat tight and 1/3 slightly spread out. I'm not experienced enough to know if this is a good average or an average average but my route, without the additional stops I'd usually pick up, would be about 110 stops and 35 miles. I'd do this in about 6.5 hrs which included 1-1/2 sorting and loading around 150 packages.
I have to say that I LOVE this job and it sucks that's it's winding down.
The Federal mileage rate is 58.5 cents per mile and depreciate it at a rate of 26 cents per mile.
You may also be able to depreciate your phone, computer, etc.

UPS just pays you an hourly rate and mileage? No benefits (vacation, sick, Social Security pay in, etc.)?

The Federal mileage rate is 58.5 cents per mile and depreciate it at a rate of 26 cents per mile.

UPS just pays you an hourly rate and mileage? No benefits (vacation, sick, Social Security pay in, etc.)?
I'm sure they pay his social security because he's not an independent contractor

BlackFriday

PVDs work for UPS as seasonal employees. We are not contractors and we don't get a 1099. There is no option for claiming deductions etc. Tax is deducted as it is from other emoloyees. I don't pay dues and, obviously, don't receive any benefits. It's only a 10 week (max) gig and, since Christmas, I'm only working 2 days a week.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
PVDs work for UPS as seasonal employees. We are not contractors and we don't get a 1099. There is no option for claiming deductions etc. Tax is deducted as it is from other emoloyees. I don't pay dues and, obviously, don't receive any benefits. It's only a 10 week (max) gig and, since Christmas, I'm only working 2 days a week.
Well that kinda’ sux

BlackFriday

Well that kinda’ sux
No it doesn't. Why should I expect a single perk for such a short gig? I'm getting $21.00/hour for delivering boxes. A PVD's job is T. I. T.. I shake my head when I see my paycheck. The PVD job is rediculously easy and the day flies by.
Do you work for UPS? Maybe you can get me on full time 😬

meritocracy

No it doesn't. Why should I expect a single perk for such a short gig? I'm getting $21.00/hour for delivering boxes. A PVD's job is T. I. T.. I shake my head when I see my paycheck. The PVD job is rediculously easy and the day flies by.
Do you work for UPS? Maybe you can get me on full time 😬
I thought they were paying you guys a lot more. Never mind then. UPS is making a killing off you fools.

BlackFriday

I thought they were paying you guys a lot more. Never mind then. UPS is making a killing off you fools.
So I'm a fool? That's your opinion. I've brought home over 7k since starting. IMO I'd be a fool to NOT do this job. Carrying cardboard is a way too easy and getting overpaid for it is ok with me.