UPS offer on the Table for takeover of Central States fund !

badpas

Re: "Beyond Repair" . . . Really???

Sure it matters if were in business pas, eventually the fund will run out of money. I understand the interest and the fund being 100% funded, but what if? Seriously if ups closed its doors and 100,000 were just retireed (5 to 10 years) how long will before we run out of money and the retirees stop getting that check?

The retirees would still get paid even if its from cs. But if you are you talking about running out of money from the apwa's pension plan unless you are a young person, your money would have to be managed accordingly. The difference is with the amount of money ups puts into the fund per person it wouldn't take long for someone to have quite a nest egg, that is of course your planning on surviving on just your pension and nothing else. This is why its so hard to even talk about this around our mechanics when all they do is laugh every time this is brought up. My only point is there are other possibilities out there right under our noses that we could be taking advantage of and yet anyone who sees this that is not ups related, their first question is why, and how are you only getting this instead of that. Its not rocket science, with alittle help we should all be millionaires by the time we retire and not having to worry about union stuff at all.

705red

Browncafe Steward

The retirees would still get paid even if its from cs. But if you are you talking about running out of money from the apwa's pension plan unless you are a young person, your money would have to be managed accordingly.

Of course your talking about in a perfect world. As serious as this issue is you will gladly turn your future retirement plans over to the apwa who have not proven their abilities to even file a grievance, let alone negotiate a contract, or manage a pension fund of this size. Will the apwa's pension be fdic insured or is there a chance that they could mis manage or hire a firm that could mismanage the fund. Theres no quarantees in life that i understand but i wouldnt bet all my pension on black at the roulette table and in this case its comparable.

brett636

The retirees would still get paid even if its from cs. But if you are you talking about running out of money from the apwa's pension plan unless you are a young person, your money would have to be managed accordingly. The difference is with the amount of money ups puts into the fund per person it wouldn't take long for someone to have quite a nest egg, that is of course your planning on surviving on just your pension and nothing else. This is why its so hard to even talk about this around our mechanics when all they do is laugh every time this is brought up. My only point is there are other possibilities out there right under our noses that we could be taking advantage of and yet anyone who sees this that is not ups related, their first question is why, and how are you only getting this instead of that. Its not rocket science, with alittle help we should all be millionaires by the time we retire and not having to worry about union stuff at all.

When its said a pension fund is 100% funded it means all those vested in the plan could retire TODAY and continue to be paid just by the plans growth. So if the company were to go bankrupt and close its doors, assuming the fund is 100% all we would need is someone to manage what UPS left behind. This is all in theory of course.

wkmac

When its said a pension fund is 100% funded it means all those vested in the plan could retire TODAY and continue to be paid just by the plans growth. So if the company were to go bankrupt and close its doors, assuming the fund is 100% all we would need is someone to manage what UPS left behind. This is all in theory of course.

Glad you pointed that out Brett and to the earlier comments about APWA being unproven in several aspects, you are correct. However, the IBT are loaded with their own shortcomings as well so the "perfect world" scenario holds weight with them also. Their path of history has many failures whether of their own doing or not but they took the position of fudciary agent and thus they will get the blame.

As for the "fully funded" idea, back in the early 80's as a young Teamster who gave little if any thought of retirement as growing old was for other people, yeah did I learn the hard truth:lol:
I'd hear others discuss a fully funded pension plan and those opposed to such ideas (generally the hardcore union types) would argue if the plan was fully funded the company could stop paying into the plan. Not being to verse in that whole process I still just couldn't understand what was wrong with a fund that was fully paid up and had everyone covered so that we got exactly what we were promised but at the same time gave the company the flex to take those same funds and either use them elsewhere or if they so choose (not likely as in cold day in hell LOL!)to provide us with a higher pay rate or other benefits. Or in this day of labor costs at UPS verses FedEx, all of a sudden that large cost is off the table and the competitive advantage given back to UPS in pricing and other flexibilities in meeting FedEx, DHL or whoever out there in the real world. I guess I always saw this arguement against a fully funded pension plan as shortsighted and in the reality of today's CS, what would we now give for a fully funded pension fund? My how life changes as we live it!

As for the offer from UPS to create a combined pension fund UPS/IBT, etc? It's way early folks and there are still a number of questions but I view this as a positive step but not for the reason you might think. Based on what I've read from the Teamster.org release of 5/10 and the 5/11 UPSDate mailing from IBT, this time verses 1997' the union is giving consideration to the proposal. I said consideration, not they are taking it but the fact that they are looking it over is a good thing. I want them to be openminded to consider any and all potentials out there and not be closed minded to think there is only one size shoe to wear no matter the foot you are trying to fit. Also the fact they are considering this IMO is rather telling. I think the IBT knows that the rank and file are not only watching but their thinking has greatly changed in the last 10 years. Having that "ballbat" called the APWA lurking out, whether it can get the job done or not is having an impact. If they (IBT) blow this, if they muck this up, you very well could see not only larger numbers drop from the union but the even greater chance that one or even a few buildings could do the unthinkable and go APWA and then the potential "genie is out of the bottle" and you run the risk of setting them up with a shot to prove themselves and what happens if they just happen to get lucky!

Hate APWA and their ilk all you want but at the same time I do believe they are helping to hold some feet to the fire and God Bless Em for that! Whatever happens folks I just hope for UPSers that we can obtain a plan that let's UPSers gain from all our hardwork and efforts over the years and be able to enjoy a retirement life that I really believe we deserve.

Don't remember the exact comment but something was asked about the APWA ability to pay pensions if UPS went down the tubes and it's a valid point. APWA as I understand what I've read on the matter seems to be a plan of almost like an individual retirement account. Not it's not strictly in that fashion but it does appear more linked to the individual in certain aspects rather than you are a part of a larger pool. Again, it's not exactly like a pure 401k or IRA plan but it does come across to me anyway as a type of hybrid between a IRA/401K and a larger collective pension plan in the sense that it's taken some good aspects of both and thrown into one. Maybe I've read it wrong but that's the way I see it. As a type of "single employer" plan if the company goes bust you have what you have and nothing more as the same is true for CS under that scenario and I might add if UPS goes down CS is completely dead so let's be real here. Under the multi employer pension insurance protections, a 30 year retiree would get somewhere around $1000 a month as I understand it. However and what I find odd that under a single employer plan, that same retiree under those rules would get nearly twice that amount. I don't understand the thinking of Congress when they set this up but that's how I understand this if the worse case scenario took place. I also think the promises of the payouts of APWA are a little to pie-n-the-sky but I do think their idea is to always have at any given moment a fully funded plan because in theory you would have on hand at all times the funds needed to pay all obligations. This may seem crazy and impossible but what the APWA cheerleaders never tell you is that conversion to APWA would mean everyone starts at zero and until you meet certain time benchmarks of service, you have nothing because your account hasn't built up to cover you future needs. It is a pay as you go type of account and don't get me wrong I like the idea and approach. Very Smart IMO. What I don't agree with is that I don't think some folks with the pom poms are either being honest or they haven't studied all the facts. I personally think the current system sux and I want out bigtime and my solution is a lumpsum payoff and rollover into my 401k and then it's all on me but that cold day in hell scenario comes back into play.
:wink:

JMHO!

Fullhouse

Im sorry i will try and use lit tle wor ds for you fro m now on if its get tin g to com pli cat ed for you. Do you need pictures to? Look you should never pull a dell delivery out of your truck if your not sure someones home, its common sense more than anything. Work smarter not harder!
All I'm asking is that you spell correctly. Go ahead and use little words if you like. Its appears that your spelling is better.
You should really consider giving up that crack pipe, you are becoming delusional. I see nothing in my post about delivering Dell packages. Oh well maybe the stress is getting to ya. You know "trying to convince 33,000 UPS teamsters not to leave Central States" Later!

J

JonFrum

Brett,

Odd as it may seem, a 100% funded fund is not the ideal. A fund needs to be funded as much over 100% as possible, the more the better. What if the stock market slumps, or crashes? All of a sudden that 100% fund is now only, say, 63% funded, just like the Central States fund is today. (Or 47% and headed for oblivion, if you believe Engineer79.)

Besides, I doubt it's possible for a UPS fund to survive after UPS closes its doors. You can't just appoint Van and Danny to be caretakers who'll mail out the checks every month. The fund is taken over by the nearly bankrupt PBGC and they administer the paying out of checks. Their schedule of benefit guarantees is no where near what the cheerleaders have been claiming so expect a lot of disapointments in this regard. I suggested earlier to an APWA supporter that they should publish a chart of exactly what levels of PBGC insurance coverage would apply to all the various categories of UPSers in their plan, but they never did it. Such a chart would make clear how few people would get the full level of pension benefit coverage, and how many would get a lot less, or none at all.

pkgdriver

Hate APWA and their ilk all you want but at the same time I do believe they are helping to hold some feet to the fire and God Bless Em for that!

I personally think the current system sux and I want out bigtime and my solution is a lumpsum payoff and rollover into my 401k and then it's all on me but that cold day in hell scenario comes back into play.

very much agreed WKMAC

705red

Browncafe Steward
All I'm asking is that you spell correctly. Go ahead and use little words if you like. Its appears that your spelling is better.
You should really consider giving up that crack pipe, you are becoming delusional. I see nothing in my post about delivering Dell packages. Oh well maybe the stress is getting to ya. You know "trying to convince 33,000 UPS teamsters not to leave Central States" Later!
How long have you been driving? Do you always take the heavy deliveries out of the truck if they need a signature without making sure the family is home? (thats were dell came in at) Im not attempting to talk anyone out of leaving the cs plan, im just asking that everyone look at the short and long term effects of leaving and joining a single employer fund. You cant be that stupid not to see that i have valid points unless of course your in management pretending to be a ups teamster. Sorry if my spelling isnt perfect all the time, im typing to fast replying to you apwa cheerleaders.

satellitedriver

Your east to set off in a rage, i will keep that in mind. My friend i do 180-200 stops everyday for roughly 600 pcs. We do work hard but domt think were the only ones, i dont work in the food service but i have friends that do, thats how i know.

Im not in the cs pension thats the only right you got in your last post, and i do feel your pain. But dont think going to a ups only pension plan wont come without the same pains in the near future. So its ok to take care of yourself and not worry about the overall longterm effect of these changes.

Your right again ive never delivered a bowflex up 5 flights of stairs with no elevator to find out no one was home. I either go up 1st and see or look on the label and get their phone number to call them and see if they were home. I didnt need spell check that time to see who the fool was there.

You really should try to learn to spell, if you are not going to use spell check.

nospinzone

Besides, I doubt it's possible for a UPS fund to survive after UPS closes its doors. You can't just appoint Van and Danny to be caretakers who'll mail out the checks every month. The fund is taken over by the nearly bankrupt PBGC and they administer the paying out of checks. Their schedule of benefit guarantees is no where near what the cheerleaders have been claiming so expect a lot of disapointments in this regard. I suggested earlier to an APWA supporter that they should publish a chart of exactly what levels of PBGC insurance coverage would apply to all the various categories of UPSers in their plan, but they never did it. Such a chart would make clear how few people would get the full level of pension benefit coverage, and how many would get a lot less, or none at all.

Jon,
How and why should APWA make this chart? They do not determine the PBGC benefits. How would APWA know better than the PBGC regarding these payouts? Where on the CS or IBT website do you see PBGC benefit charts? This seems like a question for the PBGC. The PBGC has published maximum benefit charts on their website. If an individual has specific questions regarding PBGC benefits in the event that the 100 year old United Parcel Service, the largest parcel delivery company in the world with the 8th largest airline, becomes financially unstable, they should directly contact the PBGC. But thats just my opinion.

And Jon, I urge you and any others reading this that if a question is of importance to you, please contact the APWA officers directly instead of depending on webboard participants to relay your messages/questions for you. It's possible for the messengers to misinterpret your question or their response resulting in you gettin bad information. And after discussing these issues for 2+ years, I've personally grown weary of doing the leg work and research for able bodied individuals. Which is a good reason for me not serving in the APWA-- my lack of patience in dealing with people. But thats just my opinion.

krash

Go big orange

Man, sounds like yall get upset over questioning of the legitimacy of your propaganda. How dare we question the #'s and promises of the APWA. Come on everybody, sign up for that decert, all spin said there's 20 virgins waiting for us on the other side:lol:

nospinzone

Man, sounds like yall get upset over questioning of the legitimacy of your propaganda. How dare we question the #'s and promises of the APWA. Come on everybody, sign up for that decert, all spin said there's 20 virgins waiting for us on the other side:lol:
Krash, show me where I used foul language, called Jon dirty derogatory names or insulted him for asking questions. I believe these are questions that should be posed to the PBGC and not APWA. Show me the appropriate way to disagree since I'm obviously full of anger and spite, in your opinion.

Nothin but love for ya, brutha. :cool:

J

JonFrum

Jon,

How and why should APWA make this chart? . . .

. . . And Jon, I urge you and any others reading this that if a question is of importance to you, please contact the APWA officers directly instead of depending on webboard participants to relay your messages/questions for you. . .

As we discussed at the time, you guys, (and before you, Tieguy,) were making exaggerated claims about PBGC insurance coverage for Single-employer pension funds. I pointed you to the PBGC website to prove the true levels of coverage were significantly less. Asking APWA to translate the PBGC rules into a chart was designed to make the levels of coverage easier to determine for anyone who didn't, or couldn't, visit the website. I didn't want people thinking they would be covered for $4,125 per month when almost everyone is not.
- - - - -
And I don't expect you or others to relay my questions to the APWA officers, or to do research for me. Usually I post because I see something posted that I think is wrong and I try to correct the record: sometimes with a general post, sometimes with a post directed at the specific poster of the misinformation.

As I've said before, I think it is really strange that the APWA refuses to publish adequate information on its website, and that misinformed cheerleaders are spreading so much misinformation and exaggerated claims. Especially now that cards are being signed based on that misinformation.

And I thought the Teamsters kept us in the dark!!!

sawdusttv

Jon,
How and why should APWA make this chart? They do not determine the PBGC benefits. How would APWA know better than the PBGC regarding these payouts? Where on the CS or IBT website do you see PBGC benefit charts? This seems like a question for the PBGC. The PBGC has published maximum benefit charts on their website. If an individual has specific questions regarding PBGC benefits in the event that the 100 year old United Parcel Service, the largest parcel delivery company in the world with the 8th largest airline, becomes financially unstable, they should directly contact the PBGC. But thats just my opinion.

And Jon, I urge you and any others reading this that if a question is of importance to you, please contact the APWA officers directly instead of depending on webboard participants to relay your messages/questions for you. It's possible for the messengers to misinterpret your question or their response resulting in you gettin bad information. And after discussing these issues for 2+ years, I've personally grown weary of doing the leg work and research for able bodied individuals. Which is a good reason for me not serving in the APWA-- my lack of patience in dealing with people. But thats just my opinion.

Nospin,

They don't want answers, they just want to bash the APWA because there ba told them that they should and we all know that what he says is the gospel. LOL:lol:

If you have noticed, as time has past there challenges and arguments against the APWA have gotten weaker and weaker, and lamer and lamer. When it is all said and done they can't argue with the true at least not intelligently.

Just keep calling these mindless teamster zombies on everything they say, because it is coming straight from there BA and is 99% lies. Just like the teamster ba in Winston Salem NC. Every time he shows up at the UPS center we shadow him and call him on everything he says. He can't handle the true, and he self-destructs and leave with his tail tucked between his legs. So keep calling the teamsters BA on everything they say, most of which they can't answer or explain because they are all lies. That is what they are trained to do, Lie to the members. So, it is nothing personal, they are just trying to do there job.:wink:

raceanoncr

I don't care WHAT else they're offering! I'll sign for that bene alone!!!!!!

krash

Go big orange

Krash, show me where I used foul language, called Jon dirty derogatory names or insulted him for asking questions. I believe these are questions that should be posed to the PBGC and not APWA. Show me the appropriate way to disagree since I'm obviously full of anger and spite, in your opinion.

Nothin but love for ya, brutha. :cool:
Now, now spin. Just a little sarcasm. I never said you used foul language or called someone a name.
Am curious as to your suggestion of doing our own leg work since you scour sites to post your pro-APWA position. Seems like you would wanna "show us the money" if your gonna be there spokesman:thumbup1: That way we would follow you in droves.
One more thing, hugs and kisses spin:lol:

krash

Go big orange

Nospin,

They don't want answers, they just want to bash the APWA because there ba told them that they should and we all know that what he says is the gospel. LOL:lol:
Ha, ha, ha, ha. You should be there mascot. Gimme an A, gimme a P....uh, what's next. DOH!:w00t: You must be the really smart one.

sawdusttv

Ha, ha, ha, ha. You should be there mascot. Gimme an A, gimme a P....uh, what's next. DOH!:w00t: You must be the really smart one.

Now Krash,
Did your BA give you the OK to respond to this post, and how long did it take him to compose your response?
LOL:lol:

krash

Go big orange

Now Krash,
Did your BA give you the OK to respond to this post, and how long did it take him to compose your response?
LOL:lol:
Shhhhhhh! He doesn't know I posted with out consulting him first. He would get weally weally mad at me and take away my computer privileges. He's got me, Bret, race, jon and 705 on a short leash when it comes to what we can and cannot post so keep this on the low low:thumbup1:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Ah Ha !!

I caught you Krash.... Thought you could get away it... Didn't you !!

Now go to your room and sing the praises of the "whats their names ? "

If you can't play nice with sawman....

-Bug-