UPS on National Geographic Channel

bad company

semi-pro
Just wanted to remind everyone that starting tonight at 9:00 eastern time, the National Geographic Channel program "Ultimate Factories" will feature UPS. Below is the information that was on the UPSers website:

National Geographic Channel's "Ultimate Factories" explores manufacturing goliaths and brings to life some of the greatest one-of-a-kind factories in the world.​

The show steps inside UPS Worldport in Louisville–the largest, most efficient and high-tech automated delivery system on the planet that helps deliver four billion packages a year.​

Show dates and times are as follows:
  • Thursday, June 12, 9 p.m. Eastern/Pacific Time​
  • Saturday, June 14, 3 p.m. Eastern/Pacific Time​
  • Thursday, June 19, 2 p.m. Eastern/Pacific Time​
The show details the global proportions of the UPS transportation network, its meteorology center, and flight-simulation training hub.

UPS1.JPG

Overpaid Union Thug

The whole show was nothing but footage of packages riding on belts. There was never less than 4 feet between each package. I think all the footage was taken at the beginning of a sort. They didn't want the public to see the true UPS where packages are jamming up and bending and breaking.

rod

Retired 22 years
No doubt it was presented to make UPS look good with no jammed belts or crushed boxes but I was still amazed at the miles of belts and all the automation. Makes my old 25-30 driver center look like a knat on an elephant.:peaceful: So was anyone on here there when they filmed it? I thought I saw Kenmei and his taper gun.

bad company

semi-pro
The whole show was nothing but footage of packages riding on belts. There was never less than 4 feet between each package. I think all the footage was taken at the beginning of a sort. They didn't want the public to see the true UPS where packages are jamming up and bending and breaking.

Worldport is UPS' pride and joy. A lot of money and time went into World Port's developement and design. My guess is that with all the technology, money, and research spent at Worldport, it is actually run very smoothly and as cleanly as you saw in the footage. Outside of Worldport, we all know it's not picture perfect.

It was still interesting to see what a state of the art facility can look like. And while us UPSers may take most of these things for granted, it was still a unique insight into the behind the scenes work being done, and the average non-upser viewer would probably be very impressed.

CFLBrown

Saw quite a few things that might have missed the approval desk @ the ol' UPS HQ.

Wonder what happened to aiming high in steering with the girl waving goodbye as she left the building.

ups79

Saw quite a few things that might have missed the approval desk @ the ol' UPS HQ.

Wonder what happened to aiming high in steering with the girl waving goodbye as she left the building.

Whats with this "up to 100 pounds"? Before I retired 5 years ago the weight limit was 150 poundss.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Worldport is UPS' pride and joy. A lot of money and time went into World Port's developement and design. My guess is that with all the technology, money, and research spent at Worldport, it is actually run very smoothly and as cleanly as you saw in the footage. Outside of Worldport, we all know it's not picture perfect.

It was still interesting to see what a state of the art facility can look like. And while us UPSers may take most of these things for granted, it was still a unique insight into the behind the scenes work being done, and the average non-upser viewer would probably be very impressed.

Do you think the copy or fax machines at UPS Worldport work?:laughing:

:dance:Imagine having to walk out those belts...LOL

drewed

Shankman
Whats with this "up to 100 pounds"? Before I retired 5 years ago the weight limit was 150 poundss.

100lbs for parcels
anything over is a ireg max limit per contract is 150

umm i wasnt too impressed with it, its good publicity but as a upser i saw a lot of things that shouldnt have been done per regs unless world port has some special standards only they can use

cgrant55

Anyone know of any way to see it other than on the channel itself? Id really like to see it, but dont have the channel. Do they sell any of these episodes individually or anything along those lines?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Anyone know of any way to see it other than on the channel itself? Id really like to see it, but dont have the channel. Do they sell any of these episodes individually or anything along those lines?
Maybe, National Geographic sells alot of their programs. It might also be that UPS won't allow the sale of this program. Try online at nationalgeographic.com, then search ultimate factories.

brett636

I wish I had that channel as I would sure tape it. Although being a air driver I have been inside the world port many times and it is a pretty smooth operating facility. Not to mention gigantic in size.