UPS or MTA Bus? What's a better career?

James B

Hello there. At the time, I work for MTA Bus. I like it but don't love it. You have to work weekends/overnights/ holidays, etc. plus you have to deal with all the people.

I was thinking that maybe UPS would be a better choice for me. I don't mind working hard. I just want to provide for my family. At the time, I'm engaged. Getting married next year. No kids. I hear that in UPS, you have to work hard during the week and you'll be coming home 7-8 pm during the week but you're off on weekends and holidays. That's great. I don't even mind working on Saturdays. I just want to work but still be able to spend time with my family. I want to work but I don't want work to take over my life. I want to be home on holidays with my family.

MTA bus is good but it's just a lot. I don't want to sound like a baby but I just am not sure if UPS would be a better choice for me.

I would appreciate any comments about the job or any insights.

Thank you very much

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hello there. At the time, I work for MTA Bus. I like it but don't love it. You have to work weekends/overnights/ holidays, etc. plus you have to deal with all the people.

I was thinking that maybe UPS would be a better choice for me. I don't mind working hard. I just want to provide for my family. At the time, I'm engaged. Getting married next year. No kids. I hear that in UPS, you have to work hard during the week and you'll be coming home 7-8 pm during the week but you're off on weekends and holidays. That's great. I don't even mind working on Saturdays. I just want to work but still be able to spend time with my family. I want to work but I don't want work to take over my life. I want to be home on holidays with my family.

MTA bus is good but it's just a lot. I don't want to sound like a baby but I just am not sure if UPS would be a better choice for me.

I would appreciate any comments about the job or any insights.

Thank you very much
I know a few guys who work for the MTA (LIRR not bus)....i've heard nothing but good things about it...in terma of pay and potential for advancement.

Mentally....given the amount of customer BS you guys deal with....you could probably handle it. However being a package driver is a physical job....getting in and out of the truck 200+ times a day..lifting heavy packages....no AC....it's a lot more than just driving a truck.

undies

Also, you won't get hired as a driver. You will be a part time warehouse employee until a FT position opens up based on your seniority. You can expect to be stuck PT for 4-10 years before becoming a driver. Stick with the bus!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Just to let you know, we don't get home at 7-8 pm, that's when we punch out, usually closer to 8. Add your commute time to that.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Also, you won't get hired as a driver. You will be a part time warehouse employee until a FT position opens up based on your seniority. You can expect to be stuck PT for 4-10 years before becoming a driver. Stick with the bus!
Agreed, listen to this guy. I was part time for 12 years before coming into full time. They are hiring drivers left and right but that is no guarantee you will get the position. UPS has good pay and benefits but it's a tough job in some way in every position. At least with MTA you know what your getting, UPS nobody has a clue what is going on...ever.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Agreed, listen to this guy. I was part time for 12 years before coming into full time. They are hiring drivers left and right but that is no guarantee you will get the position. UPS has good pay and benefits but it's a tough job in some way in every position.

I was hired off the street during a period of growth in 1989 and was a FT driver after just 11 months.

We are currently in a similar, if not bigger, period of growth, and the OP has come here at an opportune time.

The Driver

I drive.
I was hired off the street in October of last year. Laid off after peak but called back to start in May. I made book and now full time. It can happen. Just apply, and if you get the opportunity, go bust your butt!

nystripe96

Go for it. There will be days you don't get home till after 10pm as a driver, especially during peak. Then again there's been days I've punched out at 5:00. The hours & workload can be taxing, but the pay is white collar. A lot of off days & vacation days too. Work safe & you'll be ok

Sent using BrownCafe App