UPS = Overrated?

UPSaxel

I used to be horrified at how some packages were treated, especially since I help out with overgoods after the sort. But when you think of the thousands upon thousands of packages we move every night, it is a very small percentage that gets damaged, and usually because of improper packaging. I gladly ship via UPS, but always in a very sturdy box with proper packaging and lots of tape (unlike Cititrends).

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
I used to be horrified at how some packages were treated, especially since I help out with overgoods after the sort. But when you think of the thousands upon thousands of packages we move every night, it is a very small percentage that gets damaged, and usually because of improper packaging. I gladly ship via UPS, but always in a very sturdy box with proper packaging and lots of tape (unlike Cititrends).

Thanks for making a great point!...By the way who/what is Cititrends?

j13501

I am happy to say that in my 30+ years with UPS, our package handling has improved significantly. When I read some posts, I notice that some people talk about the "good old days" when things were better.
Well, in package care, the "good old days" are now. Our time-in-transit and our damage picture as an organization has never been better, and, although we can always improve, I'm pleased to see that we are providing a better service to our customers.

UPSaxel

Nice to know things are lookin' up j1. The hub I work at gets a couple trucks every night full of clothes from Citi trends. They only use one piece of tap to secure both flaps on a 12x12x28 box. They constantly bust open coming off the truck, on the sort aisle, and on pick off.

abc123

Nice to know things are lookin' up j1. The hub I work at gets a couple trucks every night full of clothes from Citi trends. They only use one piece of tap to secure both flaps on a 12x12x28 box. They constantly bust open coming off the truck, on the sort aisle, and on pick off.

You would think these companies would realize they were doing something wrong and try to correct it?

j13501

You would think these companies would realize they were doing something wrong and try to correct it?

They do know that they have a poor package. In many cases, a shipper takes the viewpoint that the extra money spent on more packaging and tape is more in total, than the loss that occurs with some open packages. They look it as an "acceptable" level of expense. We don't pay these claims, of course, but it is still a hassle for the hub employees because they have to deal with the mess.
And while we will continue to speak to the customers about improved packaging, we don't want to get them angry- so they don't move their business to our competitors.

TheKid

You know UPS has this general consensus with the general public that they are a top-notch company.

I think they are highly overrated. They move as slow as molasses when it comes to promoting people.

Everyone thinks their packages are handled with kid gloves when anyone that has ever workied there can attest that the packages are smashed, dirty, stepped on, etc...

And what's this you have to wait one year for medical and dental? A year and a half to include family?

Certainly an outfit the size of UPS can do better than that.

OK, done ranting. :happy2:

Who would you rate as better ?

TheKid

First the disclaimer that I have been at UPS for 24 yrs.
I make $30/hr. with no college education. I have the best medical and dental insurance available that I pay $0.00 for unless you count union dues. I have 5 weeks (soon to be 6) vacation. Job security. Sick pay, optional days, disability ins. , workmans' comp. What else do you want ? BTW we work hard....sorry.

TheKid

...and a 401K plan, a pension plan, stock buying options....do you really need me to go on. Everytime I feel like complaining I think about my 58 yr. old neighbor who is a self-employed carpenter....wanna guess what he pays for crap insurance...no paid vacations, no job security, no pension....

We may not want to admit it because it sounds cooler to hate your job but we have it PRETTY FREAKIN' GOOD.

There now I am done with my rant.

code5

...and a 401K plan, a pension plan, stock buying options....do you really need me to go on. Everytime I feel like complaining I think about my 58 yr. old neighbor who is a self-employed carpenter....wanna guess what he pays for crap insurance...no paid vacations, no job security, no pension....

We may not want to admit it because it sounds cooler to hate your job but we have it PRETTY FREAKIN' GOOD.

There now I am done with my rant.

I agree with everything you said pretty much. I enjoy my job for the most part but, you love your overtime don't you? Not that there is anything wrong with that. Pretty much everything that is structured at UPS now involves their employees needing that to be the number one priority in their lives.

UPS is a top notch company, one of the best all around companies on the planet, period. Look at all the benefits they offer PART-TIMERS, pension, medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability, ect. Most companies out there do not offer all these to full time employees let alone part timers. The whole waiting period for benefits is a smart deal for UPS, the turnover rate was so high that new hires were getting medical after 8 or 12 weeks, depending on your local, then they could leave and continue to get COBRA benefits for months, all at the expense of UPS. This weeds out the people that won't last the first 12 months. Lastly, I used to work for FedEx and we treat our packages WAAAYYYYY better than they do. They had multiple clerks repacking packages constantly, I mean hundreds even thousands a day, it was terrible. UPS really tries their best to prevent damages. ADOPT training every year has reduced our damages significantly