UPS OWNED WHITE RENTALS (ON TOPIC)

UPSmechanicinblue

Here in Michigan we are seeing UPS owned white rentals show up. Last year I had one at my center that was just like fedex with side walk in door and rear roll up door style maybe a P70 package size car that was all white no decals. We used it for peak then after peak it was hauled away on a flat bed truck and no idea where they go. We have centers with pure white vans showing up with no bulk head or shelves this year. We are being told they are UPS owned and thats all. Does anyone have any info on these? Thanks

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
sort of off topic but I saw a rental sprinter van with blue headlights and blue underglow. straight outta Grand Theft Auto.
Imo a package car without shelves might not be too bad of a deal with mall or bulk routes, except that's why we have the actual box trucks.

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
They're the same as uniform delivery and bread trucks and have air conditioning but don't handle that well. No idea on who made the chasis.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
We got a p700 rental made by Utilimaster. Easy to see how cheap ups is. AC, stereo, tilt wheel, nicest seat I've seen. No cradle so the rookies won't destroy it.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Here in Michigan we are seeing UPS owned white rentals show up. Last year I had one at my center that was just like fedex with side walk in door and rear roll up door style maybe a P70 package size car that was all white no decals. We used it for peak then after peak it was hauled away on a flat bed truck and no idea where they go. We have centers with pure white vans showing up with no bulk head or shelves this year. We are being told they are UPS owned and thats all. Does anyone have any info on these? Thanks

There is a national grieve in over who services those things.

anyway,, We got some tractors in last peak and for the most part they sat broken because the company contracted Ryder through merchants rental to service them. We call merchants and it takes months for them to come get the tractor and then when it comes back it's more broken than when it left. We sent one of them 3 times to get the fifth wheel and batteries. 3 times it's been towed back dead with a broken fifth wheel. UPS paid for this lease but in over a year now got zero days out of it.

I hear there is a bunch of dead ones at RIPRO

wornoutupser

For the mechanics: are you allowed to work on the white trucks?

Our mechanics were not allowed to then suddenly they were after filing greivances for outsourcing work.

Johney

My old building has a ton of them. One mechanic said they're waiting to see if they're going to paint them brown or Amazon blue.

Brownwind

We got a p700 rental made by Utilimaster. Easy to see how cheap ups is. AC, stereo, tilt wheel, nicest seat I've seen. No cradle so the rookies won't destroy it.
My old airport ride. I enjoyed the radio and the fan. The a/c was mediocre at best but 110 outside and 85 in the cab I didn’t complain. No telematics ment no crying over idling too long. Can’t compete with my four year old p800 though. Comfort and my unique touch makes it hard to compare.

I miss my p500 and my sprinter. Smaller truck equals happier drivers.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
When you say "on topic"...

What exactly are you referring to?

For clarification and derailment purposes only.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
For the mechanics: are you allowed to work on the white trucks?

Our mechanics were not allowed to then suddenly they were after filing greivances for outsourcing work.
The company claims.
They were leased short term due to the company not being able to source new brown tractors.

The problem we have is they were leased with a service agreement, so technically no we don't fix them.

On the bright side they seemed to be a failure up here.

UPSmechanicinblue

anyway,, We got some tractors in last peak and for the most part they sat broken because the company contracted Ryder through merchants rental to service them. We call merchants and it takes months for them to come get the tractor and then when it comes back it's more broken than when it left. We sent one of them 3 times to get the fifth wheel and batteries. 3 times it's been towed back dead with a broken fifth wheel. UPS paid for this lease but in over a year now got zero days out of it.

I hear there is a bunch of dead ones at RI

When you say "on topic"...

What exactly are you referring to?

For clarification and derailment purposes only.
This use to be a rule to keep the jokes out of the conversation-

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian

I hear there is a bunch of dead ones at RIPRO
Merchants blows. Clapped out Ryders with no service.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Merchants blows. Clapped out Ryders with no service.
Our mechanics won’t even work on our new freightliner tractors because they are supposedly still under warranty. Which means we ship them out to be serviced then don’t see them again for months.

I also want to point out I’ve made 2 road calls to the shop for blown tires at CPU’s all within 20 miles from the hub and both times they’ve sent an outsourced tire repair company to do the fix. How do you (mechanics) feel about this? Do y’all like getting away from the hub for road calls or do you prefer an outside company to do it?

Last edited: