UPS PE Management are now denying safety items.

PE Pro

(If the shoe fits by all means wear it. If not disregard this statement, I am obiviously not talking about you)
The PE dept has started a dangerous trend of denying to supply certain safety items that have been supplied in the past. This reflects the sad state of affairs in the UPS PE Dept. I am so glad that when I look in the mirror in the morning and put my head on my pillow at night I don't have to see what some of the PE management people see or have to reflect on what some of the PE management people have become as I try to sleep at night. I have been here long enough to see that the lies and deceit that this Dept puts on it's management people and their frightened, cowardice manner that they accept it, without even appearing to have a backbone at all, changes people. It does not change them for the better. I feel sorry for them however I don't pity them. They are responsible for what they do and what they have become.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Are the jersey gloves and protective sleeves essential or nice things to have?

PE is Plant Engineering. They work on the electric motors, conveyor belts, and other physical plant equipment. Sounds to me like gloves, sleeves etc are legitimate safety items. I am sure the OP would be a better judge of what is needed for his job than one of us drivers.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
PE is Plant Engineering. They work on the electric motors, conveyor belts, and other physical plant equipment. Sounds to me like gloves, sleeves etc are legitimate safety items. I am sure the OP would be a better judge of what is needed for his job than one of us drivers.

That is why he was asking.

The company ultimately wants to shift as much cost as possible to the employee. That is a given and this seems like a good example without knowing too much. Does not sound "drastic" to me, though.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
jersey brown gloves approximately .28 pair- order denied- "No more brown gloves"
disposable protective sleeves can be bought as cheap as .17 each- ordered denied- "No more sleeves"

It is absolutely amazing that ups can deny someone an order of gloves that are 28 cents but pay someone triple time for not granting them an 8 hour request or giving them hundreds of dollars extra a week for 9.5 issues, or pissing off a customer and having them jump ship loosing how many thousands of dollars in future profit because they want to force a driver to deliver a business 3 hours later than they were getting for the last 20 years....do they really care about anything...including a profit...Im starting to think no???

GayOfThrones

(If the shoe fits by all means wear it. If not disregard this statement, I am obiviously not talking about you)
The PE dept has started a dangerous trend of denying to supply certain safety items that have been supplied in the past. This reflects the sad state of affairs in the UPS PE Dept. I am so glad that when I look in the mirror in the morning and put my head on my pillow at night I don't have to see what some of the PE management people see or have to reflect on what some of the PE management people have become as I try to sleep at night. I have been here long enough to see that the lies and deceit that this Dept puts on it's management people and their frightened, cowardice manner that they accept it, without even appearing to have a backbone at all, changes people. It does not change them for the better. I feel sorry for them however I don't pity them. They are responsible for what they do and what they have become.

Things such as gloves and sleeves are HARDLY anything to get THIS worked up over. Please re-evaluate your life.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The PE dept has started a dangerous trend of denying to supply certain safety items that have been supplied in the past. :madashell:

jersey brown gloves approximately .28 pair- order denied- "No more brown gloves"
disposable protective sleeves can be bought as cheap as .17 each- ordered denied- "No more sleeves" :grrr:

Things such as gloves and sleeves are HARDLY anything to get THIS worked up over. Please re-evaluate your life. :slap:

:whatever:

RoyalFlush

One of Them
Nice response. Great contribution. My guess is the shoe may be just your size. Does the shoe fit you?

No the shoe doesn't fit me, but I hit the nail on the head with my prediction. You want UPS to buy you gloves for your personal benefit. Brown jersey gloves and plastic/vinyl gloves are not used for safety. They are used to keep your hands from getting dirty or cold. Buy you own gloves like everyone else. I'm just sick of people crying "safety" to get their way. There is inherent risk with everything.

tieguy

Banned
gloves and sleeves? With the big build up in his first post I was expecting something serious. Specially when you over embellish the drama by speaking of being able to look in the mirror.

How many PE mechanics do you have in your department? five to ten? At .28 cents a pop you should be able to supply all of them with gloves. Can we count on you to do the right thing with these critical life saving items so that you can continue to be able to look at yourself in the mirror?

problem solved. Next item?

PE Pro

Are the jersey gloves and protective sleeves essential or nice things to have?

Unless UPS is in the habit of supplying things that are not essential for years. OH that's right this is UPS and we all know the qualilty of management that is roaming the halls of the mighty UPS.

To answer your question yes they are essential safety supplies to have on hand just like dust masks, eye goggles, safety glasses, chemical gloves, welding respirators, welding masks, ear plugs, and so on and so on. They are essential and they are invaluable.

You union brothers you think this may be small but don't be so quick to judge. When corrupt, dishonest people starts setting these kind of trends the rank and file should unite and nip it in the bud.

PE Pro

Things such as gloves and sleeves are HARDLY anything to get THIS worked up over. Please re-evaluate your life.
Oh thank you doctor. I can see things clearly now. The problem is not the greed, corruption and dishonesty running rampant in UPS it is me and it has probably been me the whole time. I don't know how to thank you. Give me a break. What in God's great earth do you know about what is or isn't something to get worked up over or not. I will make those decisions for myself and I will live with the consequeces. My experience has been that PE dept is very poorly managed and have proven to be highly dishonest. Your statement lacks no substance and is just another one liner response from someone else who doesn't know what he is talking about.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Oh thank you doctor. I can see things clearly now. The problem is not the greed, corruption and dishonesty running rampant in UPS it is me and it has probably been me the whole time. I don't know how to thank you. Give me a break. What in God's great earth do you know about what is or isn't something to get worked up over or not. I will make those decisions for myself and I will live with the consequeces. My experience has been that PE dept is very poorly managed and have proven to be highly dishonest. Your statement lacks no substance and is just another one liner response from someone else who doesn't know what he is talking about.

I wonder if its just boils down to unrealistic expectations put upon people. This company doesnt work well as a cohesive whole..so many different faction fighting each other, the combinations are many. So much focus is put on the hub and driver groups that some think that other functions run smooth as silk, but that doesnt seem to be the case, especially hearing from some non union management on here, besides from the few token sups.