UPS pilot paves way for other Black female pilots

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member

UPS pilot paves way for other Black female pilots - NewsNation

Angel Hughes has always had her eyes on the skies.

As a young girl growing up in Newark, New Jersey, Hughes, a retired U.S. Coast Guard pilot, would always see commercial airline pilots when she traveled.

“So that was kind of the goal as a little girl,” she said.

As she traveled, though, she noticed little girls like her didn’t have much representation in the industry.

“I’d never seen a young Black female pilot in uniform, flying jumbo jets doing exactly what I wanted to do,” Hughes, now a pilot for UPS, said.

UPS, one of the world’s largest cargo carriers, still has less than 200 female pilots— that’s nearly 6% of its pilot base. And in the United States, less than 1% of all certified pilots across the aviation industry are Black women.

rod

Retired 22 years

UPS pilot paves way for other Black female pilots - NewsNation

Angel Hughes has always had her eyes on the skies.

As a young girl growing up in Newark, New Jersey, Hughes, a retired U.S. Coast Guard pilot, would always see commercial airline pilots when she traveled.

“So that was kind of the goal as a little girl,” she said.

As she traveled, though, she noticed little girls like her didn’t have much representation in the industry.

“I’d never seen a young Black female pilot in uniform, flying jumbo jets doing exactly what I wanted to do,” Hughes, now a pilot for UPS, said.

UPS, one of the world’s largest cargo carriers, still has less than 200 female pilots— that’s nearly 6% of its pilot base. And in the United States, less than 1% of all certified pilots across the aviation industry are Black women.
Sounds like a fair number to me considering blacks make up what? only 11% of the population. Now divide that by 2 for men and women and deduct those who aren't of age (kids & old people) to be a pilot and bingo--- about 1% now seems seems over the limit.