UPS planning shipment visibility push, CEO says

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS planning shipment visibility push, CEO says - Giełda Transportu

UPS Inc. is working on an initiative designed to provide end-to-end shipment visibility to all of its customers, CEO Carol Tomé said Tuesday.

The initiative, code-named Project Evolve, will give UPS (NYSE: UPS) customers digital insight into the whereabouts of their shipments from the origin manufacturer to the end customer, whether it be a business or consumer, Tomé (pictured) said during an interview that coincided with an annual one-day event held by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce to discuss the outlook for the year ahead.

Tomé did not provide any specifics on the program. Nor would she comment on its progress other than to say it is “not ready for prime time.” UPS was unavailable to comment on her remarks. Various people familiar with UPS and its IT strategies said they were unaware of such an initiative.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There was talk in the 90's of imbedding RFID tags in to the computer generated shipping labels from shippers who used our software with the goal of providing end to end shipment visibility.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think that’s what they’re going to try to do 20 years later lol
Next-generation asset tracking solutions based on Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and Ultra-wideband (UWB) will rapidly replace expensive legacy systems such as passive Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) while providing increased location granularity.Dec 28, 2017

Of course, they are just asking for trouble if they start doing this, especially with rolled volume during Peak or inclement weather:

"Uh, why has my box of diapers been sitting in a parking lot at 24 Avis Dr for 3 days?"

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
There was talk in the 90's of imbedding RFID tags in to the computer generated shipping labels from shippers who used our software with the goal of providing end to end shipment visibility.
FedEx is kind of doing this but with a separate “Senseaware” device that is attached to the package at point of pick up. It’s only put on the First Overnight packages right now.