UPS Policy

rentadawg

So my Mom passed July 22nd last month. And I’ve been deep into alcohol. Is there any program from the company or Union that get my feet back on the ground. I walked out today seeing I had 212 stops on a 8hr, I’m sure that’s grounds for job abandonment. But it is what it is. Any tips driver fam?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
So my Mom passed July 22nd last month. And I’ve been deep into alcohol. Is there any program from the company or Union that get my feet back on the ground. I walked out today seeing I had 212 stops on a 8hr, I’m sure that’s grounds for job abandonment. But it is what it is. Any tips driver fam?

Anyone?...😳

TopsyKrets

$41.51
I’m sorry to hear about your mother. I’ve been a upser for 4 years and have scoured the brown cafe webs and I’ve never heard of job abandonment being a fireable offense. Take a steward into the office with you and tell your ORS that you need help. There are more options than you’d think. Stress leave, rehab, I’ve even seen a guy here who was allowed to have short days 3 days a week so he could make AA meetings at 7:00.

I hope you get well soon.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Call your BA and tell him your story

rentadawg

I’m sorry to hear about your mother. I’ve been a upser for 4 years and have scoured the brown cafe webs and I’ve never heard of job abandonment being a fireable offense. Take a steward into the office with you and tell your ORS that you need help. There are more options than you’d think. Stress leave, rehab, I’ve even seen a guy here who was allowed to have short days 3 days a week so he could make AA meetings at 7:00.

I appreciate that greatly. I will ask. I thought when I came back to work it would take my mind off of things. But that was extremely short lived. She did so much for me as a child when my dad left in the 90’s. Such a strong willed women. I rather not lose my job. But I’ve been waiting over my feeder bid that I won almost half a year ago with this company.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What would Mom say you acting like this? Get it together.

JonDoe

Sorry about your mother, but am I reading this right? Your mother passed on the 22nd of last month and you are just now returning to work?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I appreciate that greatly. I will ask. I thought when I came back to work it would take my mind off of things. But that was extremely short lived. She did so much for me as a child when my dad left in the 90’s. Such a strong willed women. I rather not lose my job. But I’ve been waiting over my feeder bid that I won almost half a year ago with this company.
As a mother, I can tell you that your mother would not want you wallowing in alcohol. I’m sure she raised you to be a strong person. It’s good that you’re trying to get a hold of it now. Make her proud by sticking to it and excelling. She didn’t struggle for nothing. She struggled to give you the best life possible. You can do it!

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

I've seen probably half a dozen guys get fired for job abandonment.

Maybe half or so got their jobs back?

Context may be important here. Did OP clock in? Who saw him in the building? Did he get into an altercation with management before he left? Use profanity? Tell them why he was leaving?

I think most labor managers would go easy on a dude that just lost his mom and cut them some slack. But it's definitely not a terrific looking situation, and nobody wants to be in a position where they're begging for their job back, and relying on someone else's mercy.

rentadawg

As a mother, I can tell you that your mother would not want you wallowing in alcohol. I’m sure she raised you to be a strong person. It’s good that you’re trying to get a hold of it now. Make her proud by sticking to it and excelling. She didn’t struggle for nothing. She struggled to give you the best life possible. You can do it!
I will be doing just that. Thank you

Wally

She would tell me to be a stronger man and that she wouldn’t want see me in this state. So I’m just struggling for the time being. She would also under that
Probably some yelling in there too.

For me personally, going to work after the parents passed was something I wanted to do. It let me zone out and forget about it for a while.

rentadawg

I've seen probably half a dozen guys get fired for job abandonment.

Maybe half or so got their jobs back?

Context may be important here. Did OP clock in? Who saw him in the building? Did he get into an altercation with management before he left? Use profanity? Tell them why he was leaving?

I think most labor managers would go easy on a dude that just lost his mom and cut them some slack. But it's definitely not a terrific looking situation, and nobody wants to be in a position where they're begging for their job back, and relying on someone else's mercy.
For our hub, the moment you walk in the building there’s a set of computers where you can see your route. My center is the very back of the building, so likely no one saw me. When I’m confronted tomorrow, depending on the questions I’ll answer accordingly

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
For our hub, the moment you walk in the building there’s a set of computers where you can see your route. My center is the very back of the building, so likely no one saw me. When I’m confronted tomorrow, depending on the questions I’ll answer accordingly
If no one knew why you were leaving, and you didn't clock in, who is to say you didn't suddenly feel violently ill and have to go home?

You could have been sick as a dog yesterday.

It isn't job abandonment if it's a no call no show.

rentadawg

Probably some yelling in there too.

For me personally, going to work after the parents passed was something I wanted to do. It let me zone out and forget about it for a while.
That’s why I went back over a week ago, it was working for the most part. But today I just wasn’t feeling it at all. No yelling though. I do appreciate you telling me how it is, even if it was brutal.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I am sorry for your loss. Must be a difficult time for you.

Do you believe your alcohol use is a temporary response to this difficult situation or do you think alcohol is a more serious problem for you?

May you find comfort and peace during this difficult time.

Wally

That’s why I went back over a week ago, it was working for the most part. But today I just wasn’t feeling it at all. No yelling though. I do appreciate you telling me how it is, even if it was brutal.
Anyway, you need to call the hall. Get this worked out.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Anyway, you need to call the hall. Get this worked out.
Not if he isn't in trouble.

Again, I contend that if he was not on the clock, and didn't get into any altercation, management would have no way of knowing the reason he left that day.

Single attendance occurrence.

Wally

Not if he isn't in trouble.

Again, I contend that if he was not on the clock, and didn't get into any altercation, management would have no way of knowing the reason he left that day.

Single attendance occurrence.
Most sups would let it slide but not all.