UPS Profit Tops Estimates, Sees 11% Rise in Peak Shipment

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS Profit Tops Estimates, Sees 11% Rise in Peak Shipment - Bloomberg

Net income rose 11 percent to $1.21 billion, or $1.32 a diluted share, from $1.1 billion or $1.16 a share a year earlier, the company said in a statement. Analysts predicted $1.28 a share, on average. It’s the first time UPS surpassed analysts’ projections this year.

UPS is working to avoid the peak season problems it faced last year, when unseasonably cold and snowy weather combined with a surge in late, online orders and led to missed deliveries on Christmas. This year, Atlanta-based UPS and FedEx Corp. (FDX) are bracing for even more orders. FedEx this week forecast record shipments of packages between Black Friday and Christmas Eve, an 8.8 percent increase from last year, as e-commerce hits a peak.

“We expect another robust peak season and are confident our network is prepared to operate at the highest level,” Kurt Kuehn, chief financial officer, said in the statement.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
UPS Profit Tops Estimates, Sees 11% Rise in Peak Shipment - Bloomberg

Net income rose 11 percent to $1.21 billion, or $1.32 a diluted share, from $1.1 billion or $1.16 a share a year earlier, the company said in a statement. Analysts predicted $1.28 a share, on average. It’s the first time UPS surpassed analysts’ projections this year.

UPS is working to avoid the peak season problems it faced last year, when unseasonably cold and snowy weather combined with a surge in late, online orders and led to missed deliveries on Christmas. This year, Atlanta-based UPS and FedEx Corp. (FDX) are bracing for even more orders. FedEx this week forecast record shipments of packages between Black Friday and Christmas Eve, an 8.8 percent increase from last year, as e-commerce hits a peak.

“We expect another robust peak season and are confident our network is prepared to operate at the highest level,” Kurt Kuehn, chief financial officer, said in the statement.
Net income rises and we take healthcare concessions. Something wrong with that picture.

wkmac

Maybe that's the reason for the rise in profits???
Wonder how much profits would go up with pension concessions?

One can cannibalize and gain short term benefit. No doubt this is true but long term there are always unintended consequences.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Like I said on a different thread, if UPS is unwilling to buy new handcarts and magliners, it's all just talk about wanting to improve our performance for peak.

brownrod

I've seen no upgrades in my building. it will be a disaster just like last year. It's offensive that they waste billions on programs like ORION but we are stuck with facilities there were obsolete 25 years ago. I don't care because UPS doesn't.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
One can cannibalize and gain short term benefit. No doubt this is true but long term there are always unintended consequences.
Teamcare was costly in the short term but should save money in the long term.
The major consideration was long term commitments and the uncertainty associated with healthcare.