UPS Rates compared to USPS

upschuck

Ha!! From a guy who uses a screen name of "Turd". Love your Passive/Aggressive behavior... So that means you have no friends in actual life right? You come on here everyday to converse with internet friends. When somebody posts something you don't like, then you call them names like a child. You obviously cannot conduct an intelligent conversation from your thousands of posts on this site. Thankfully you are in the twilight of your career at UPS. you can spend more time chatting online with friends...
And you call me obsessed, you are the one who keeps track of people's post counts.

worldwide

I'm positive. At first I thought they quoted Early AM Saturday delivery when they gave me the cost.

I didn't realize that UPS discontinued as much as can fit into a NDA letter. It was 14 oz of paper. So there was an upcharge for being over 8 oz. Then another surcharge for them claiming it was rural to a business. I verified that it was delivery by end of business. Not Early Am. It was a $58. difference from NDA to Priority Express delivery by Monday a 3.

The UPS Retail rate for a 1-lb NDA Saver going to zone 108 is $59.75. The delivery area surcharge for a commercial air package is $2.45. Fuel surcharge is 2.25%. Total charge should have been about $64.

No doubt the USPS is less than both FedEx and UPS for certain shipments. The ironic part is that the USPS contracts with both UPS and FedEx to fly their Express and Priority Mail shipments.

Generally speaking, the USPS is going to cost less for light-weight (under 5 lbs) shipments for infrequent shippers, especially for residential shipments, .

Overpaid Union Thug

No wonder Amazon uses USPS and Sure Post is so popular.

I've always used UPS for shipping. I go today to the UPS Store to ship a Next Day Air Letter for Monday end of day delivery. Normally I ship packages. The letter is to a commercial address. UPS store tells me is $80 and change.... It was a little over the 8oz minimum they said along with a rural surcharge... I told them forget it.

I go to the post office send it Priority Express for Monday delivery. $22 to ship... $60 dollar difference for the same service...

I think I need to dump my UPS Stock... With FDX investing in infrastructure to beat ground transit times of UPS, you guys are going to be in trouble. When Fred retires, they will be shipping Express through Ground like UPS to increase profit. With FDX reduced labor costs to UPS, you will be in trouble in a few years. Combine that with more shippers using USPS and USPS purchasing larger LLV's (package cars), things will be different with UPS in a few years. The UPS store was empty when I went there. The Post office had a line with people sending packages. The Post office is going after corporate accounts and volume shippers more than ever (Amazon).

Good luck.
Back when I made pickups at the UPS Store on Saturdays I asked the clerk who had the cheaper rates. He did allot of figuring on their computer and said that when comparing apples to oranges (similar service level, similar dimensions, etc) UPS is cheaper for anything weighing more than 3 lbs and that express service was where the USPS was able to be more competitive and even beat our rates. But..... they still suck so UPS is the better choice. And overall across all service levels UPS is still the better option. And they actually make a profit.

And keep in mind that UPS is still able to "outperform" the USPS even though the USPS has the deck stacked in their favor via federal protection. For example.... they don't have to pay taxes.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
The UPS Retail rate for a 1-lb NDA Saver going to zone 108 is $59.75. The delivery area surcharge for a commercial air package is $2.45. Fuel surcharge is 2.25%. Total charge should have been about $64.

No doubt the USPS is less than both FedEx and UPS for certain shipments. The ironic part is that the USPS contracts with both UPS and FedEx to fly their Express and Priority Mail shipments.

Generally speaking, the USPS is going to cost less for light-weight (under 5 lbs) shipments for infrequent shippers, especially for residential shipments, .

and those are the published rates. Big shippers get discounts and pay less.

upschuck

And if plane fills up, guess who's packages gets left off?

Again, sell your stock.

brownstreak86

I have a friend who sends a lot of documents through USPS Express and UPS NDA. She sends the ones she wants there the next day through UPS NDA. She uses USPS Express for stuff she can wait a couple days on. USPS is notorious for having late shipments of Express and when they are late for her, she requests, and receives a full refund.

CharleyHustle

and those are the published rates. Big shippers get discounts and pay less.

I have shippers that leave their manifest with the end of day and a quick scan shows they don't pay any where near published rates. Some people have a hard time figuring out that paying a clerk to stand around taking 1 next day letter from someone without a UPS account is expensive. While sending a truck out to multiple locations picking up lots of pkgs is cost effective. It seems that the diver is mad that the USPS will take a loss on his letter and we wont.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Why would I be a wannabe??? You deliver packages... Yeah a dream job... So stating the fact that USPS is able to provide same service at considerably less cost is "venom"? I didn't say anybody sucked. I will state people like you live in a bubble with your narrow mind thinking UPS cannot be dethroned. If your the future of UPS then this company is in trouble. You're more dumb than I thought... Go back to your lonely life living on this site...
Except that USPS product is not guaranteed overnight by 1030 am next day

You most likely sent it priority mail which is 2-3 days. Even their "express" can't get it overnight.

You really don't know much, do you?

opey

i ship a lot of stuff, sell a lot of things on ebay etc... UPS is almost always the most expensive between USPS and fedex, even with our sweet 8% discount (i think my ebay/paypal seller discount is bigger). lighter items usps is pretty much always cheapest, they get more expensive with heavier items. UPS seems to be cheapest for heavier pieces (go figure)

upschuck

i ship a lot of stuff, sell a lot of things on ebay etc... UPS is almost always the most expensive between USPS and fedex, even with our sweet 8% discount (i think my ebay/paypal seller discount is bigger). lighter items usps is pretty much always cheapest, they get more expensive with heavier items. UPS seems to be cheapest for heavier pieces (go figure)
I get as much as 40% discount off published rates.

Packmule

Didn't realize we had a rural surcharge. Residential or commercial is all I've heard about. If we do, and it costs that much, I'm glad. Costs us a lot of money and time driving 20 miles out some gravel road to drop off a small Amazon package. Then drive 20 miles back. Then get the same stop the next day. And again the day after that.

upschuck

Didn't realize we had a rural surcharge. Residential or commercial is all I've heard about. If we do, and it costs that much, I'm glad. Costs us a lot of money and time driving 20 miles out some gravel road to drop off a small Amazon package. Then drive 20 miles back. Then get the same stop the next day. And again the day after that.
Seen surcharges as high as $22.50, those were some of the islands in Alaska, most I've seen for continental US has been $4.