UPS researching delivery drones

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I saw this article in the paper today

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/3/5...s-own-delivery-drones-to-compete-with-amazons

UPS researching delivery drones that could compete with Amazon's Prime Air
Flying parcel-carriers are the next logical frontier for delivery companies

By Ben Popper on December 3, 2013 08:29 am106COMMENTS

DON'T MISS STORIES FOLLOW THE VERGE

aeroquad-drone-stock1_2040_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

world's largest parcel service, UPS, has been experimenting with its own version of flying parcel carriers.

"THE COMMERCIAL USE OF DRONES IS AN INTERESTING TECHNOLOGY."

Sources familiar with the company’s plans say it has been testing and evaluating different approaches to drone delivery. Asked for a comment, a company spokesman said that, "The commercial use of drones is an interesting technology and we’ll continue to evaluate it. UPS invests more in technology than any other company in the delivery business, and we’re always planning for the future."

In some ways, say industry experts, this is no surprise. "I would be shocked if a company like UPS wasn’t considering this," says Ryan Calo, a law professor specializing in drones and robotics. "If you want to compete in logistics and delivery, drones and unmanned robots have to be part of the conversation about where things are headed."

"I WOULD BE SHOCKED IF A COMPANY LIKE UPS WASN’T CONSIDERING THIS."

So far UPS has kept quiet about its plans, perhaps because any drone delivery project is years away from being legal and operational. For Jeff Bezos, on the other hand — who admitted that his drone fleet probably won’t be available for some time— the news was perfectly timed to hit on Cyber Monday, driving tons of free publicity to Amazon on the biggest online shopping day of the year.

UPS has a number of different ways it might utilize drones. It could offer something similar to Amazon’s Prime Air, or it might use them to help move packages around its own warehouses. Calo was skeptical of the video offered up by Amazon, where a drone drops off a package in a family’s suburban driveway. "I think from both a tech and a policy perspective, delivering to consumers in residential areas is going to be tough thing to accomplish any time soon," says Calo. "But a company like UPS could use drones to bring packages quickly and cheaply from a major airport or city to pick-up centers in more remote locations, speeding up delivery for a lot of customers."

"GPS COORDINATES ALONE WON’T CUT IT IF YOU GOT A CAR OR SOME KIDS IN THE DRIVEWAY."

Others in the industry are more bullish on how quickly a drone delivery service could be up and running. According to Colin Guinn, the North American CEO for the drone manufacturer DJI, "A company like Amazon or UPS could have a safe, operational fleet in 18-24 months," he tellsThe Verge. "What we need in terms of tech is improved object detection and avoidance, because GPS coordinates alone won’t cut it if you got a car or some kids in the driveway."

FedEx founder Fred S has spoken repeatedly about his desire to move to a fleet of unmanned aircraft, something he believes could generate major cost savings. The impediment so far has been regulators. "We have all this stuff working in the lab right now, we don’t need to reinvent the wheel," remarks Guinn. "We need a set of rules from the FAA. It’s just a matter of getting the laws in place so companies can begin building to those specifications and doing some real field testing."

P

pickup

Let the same geniuses that provided the software for Orion come up with the software that controls these drones. When these things start screwing up, there will be no drivers or human workers to blame other than these programmers.

Edit : Oops, partial footnote to Indecision, I see he mentioned Orion already.

jaker

trolling
I mean really does anybody really see this happing , drones in the skies with planes , helicopters and everything else in the air . Not mention all the stuff on the ground cars , kids , animals , thefts and just crazy people

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Ok here is the story i was talking about seeing today . I'm getting a bit daft in my old age
http://www.ajc.com/news/business/ups-ceo-elect-discusses-drones/ngfhc/
UPS CEO-elect discusses drones

By Kelly Yamanouchi

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

UPS CEO-elect David Abney said he sees potential for shipments by drone, but added that there are many issues to be resolved, particularly dealing with safety.

“We do believe that at some point in time that there will be a use for drones,” Abney said. “We’ve looked at that technology for a long time…. It may be very time-urgent, time-sensitive, expensive shipments or things like that.”

Abney made the comments during a Rotary Club of Atlanta luncheon on Monday. He will step into the top position at UPS on Sept. 1.

His comments come on the heels of online retailer Amazon’s request last week for permission from the Federal Aviation Administration to test drones over its property. Amazon last December unveiled a plan to deliver packages with drones.

While Amazon’s plan is seen by some as a publicity stunt and by others as a threat to shipping firms like UPS and FedEx, Abney also noted, “Amazon is a big customer of ours.”

UPS has said it will “continue to evaluate potential uses [for drones] within the business.”

“I don’t think it’s a question of if it’s going to happen,” Abney said, but added, “I don’t know that it’s anytime in the very near future.”

Still, he said, “There’s a lot of things that have to be worked out before you can make that happen…. The last thing you would want is for drones to interfere with the airspace.”

BrownTexas

Then I will stand outside and wait for it to fall on my head. Either way there is no way this will happen without a expensive lawsuit coming.

overflowed

If they do, many a drone will be full of birdshot in many mancaves. Including mine. However I'm sure it will be an Amazon drone to grace my walls first because UPS and Fedex are only thinking how to keep their employees from stealing them, like they think we steal everything else.

O

OLDMAN3

I don't have a shotgun, but...I'm allergic to bee stings. I spray 3M spray adhesive at them.. gums up their wings...and they drop right out of the air. Cant discharge a firearm in the city, but you can spray a "solution" with a power washer.

jaker

trolling
I don't have a shotgun, but...I'm allergic to bee stings. I spray 3M spray adhesive at them.. gums up their wings...and they drop right out of the air. Cant discharge a firearm in the city, but you can spray a "solution" with a power washer.
Or a paint ball gun , sling shot , potato launcher there is so many different things you can use besides a gun

Hell you could even use another drone now that would be cool

O

OLDMAN3

I would order boxes just to see if it could navigate through the obstacle course I would set up.