UPS Screwed me on Vacation

hiatt21

I am an hourly been there over a year busting my butt. My Supervisor tells me I can take the first week in July off but I wasn't scheduled until the last week in July. Sup said he had me and another guy on the same vacation on the last week in July so asked if I wanted to take mine early. I said okay. I come in today and they tell me I can't punch in because I was supposed to be on vacation. Tell me to go home. So I get punished because my supervisor is an idiot. I am out of work and no pay for their screw up. Any advice I am not in the Union in NC. I got screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drewed

Shankman
I am an hourly been there over a year busting my butt. My Supervisor tells me I can take the first week in July off but I wasn't scheduled until the last week in July. Sup said he had me and another guy on the same vacation on the last week in July so asked if I wanted to take mine early. I said okay. I come in today and they tell me I can't punch in because I was supposed to be on vacation. Tell me to go home. So I get punished because my supervisor is an idiot. I am out of work and no pay for their screw up. Any advice I am not in the Union in NC. I got screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you didnt get paid prior to you taking it early? or last week(since they say you were supposed take it this week)?

hiatt21

You are supposed to be paid 2 weeks in advance for vacation. I recieved my vcation check and took the week off. Came to work a week and now today was the actual week my vacation was supposed to be and they tell me they can't let me work because I can't clock in. So I am being forced to take this week off with no pay.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would sit down with your supervisor and, if possible, his supervisor, and show him your pay stub showing your vacation pay and tell them what you have told us here. It sounds like your sup did not update the vacation schedule after he made the deal with you. From what you have told us here, you should be allowed to work this week. I would come in early tomorrow (ready to work) and sit down with the sup(s) and see if it can't be worked out. You should be paid for the hours that you were scheduled to work today--make sure they take care of that or file a grievance to have it taken care of. It simply sounds like your sup did not update the vacation log and it has come back to bite you on the butt. Should be an easy fix.

hiatt21

I would sit down with your supervisor and, if possible, his supervisor, and show him your pay stub showing your vacation pay and tell them what you have told us here. It sounds like your sup did not update the vacation schedule after he made the deal with you. From what you have told us here, you should be allowed to work this week. I would come in early tomorrow (ready to work) and sit down with the sup(s) and see if it can't be worked out. You should be paid for the hours that you were scheduled to work today--make sure they take care of that or file a grievance to have it taken care of. It simply sounds like your sup did not update the vacation log and it has come back to bite you on the butt. Should be an easy fix.
Talked to the hub Sup says they cant change or update it the vacations this year so I cant login this week to get paid.

Talked to the hub Sup says they cant change or update it the vacations this year so I cant login this week to get paid.

I've worked several vacation weeks as a driver. There must be a way they can log in your hours manually.

hiatt21

I thought the same thing that I could take it early like my sup said to begin with but they say they cannot change it or allow me to work on my scheduled vacation.

The Mook

I would have to agree with upstate on this one. Talk to the MANAGER, not the supervisor. I would walk in with grievance paperwork as well. Not filled out, just in hand. This is not personal but business and your not maliciously attacking somebody. Your supervisor made a mistake. His boss can fix it.

browniehound

Join the Union

Outta is right. Do you see why the cost of union dues is worth it? You were probably thinking you could save some money each year by not joining the union because you never get in trouble. To me union dues are peanuts because they negotiated our health plan in which we pay nothing out-of pocket.

It looks like you are stuck this week with no work.

drewed

Shankman
Outta is right. Do you see why the cost of union dues is worth it? You were probably thinking you could save some money each year by not joining the union because you never get in trouble. To me union dues are peanuts because they negotiated our health plan in which we pay nothing out-of pocket.

It looks like you are stuck this week with no work.

he never said he could be in the union, he said he was an hourly not in the union, so he could just as easily be an admin employee

tourists24

he never said he could be in the union, he said he was an hourly not in the union, so he could just as easily be an admin employee
well if that be the case, unless the center manager feels generous then he just took a week off for no pay. You could always work your way up the chain to plead your case, but not sure you'll get the answer you are looking for. Are you in a union job or admin?

U(s)PS Guy

they switched your vacation from the last week of the month to the first week of the month, so it's pretty apparent that they CAN change your vacation schedule. it sounds to me like someone did something they shouldn't have, and now they don't want to go through the steps to correct it out of stubborness. I would do like everyone else is suggesting and talk to your supervisor's boss.

hiatt21

I talked to my sups boss I am a loader by the way, no one important in the eyes of UPS. I talked to mt PT sups supervisor. Because my PT Sup didn't know you cant change the vacation weeks I get screwed out of work this week. I hate UPS. There seems to be always something. But I need the insurance and UPS has the name behind them. Id rather tell people I work at UPS than Macdees. I am so pissed off!! They don't know how to run our little hub it is ridicules the stuff that goes on!

brownrodster

I talked to my sups boss I am a loader by the way, no one important in the eyes of UPS. I talked to mt PT sups supervisor. Because my PT Sup didn't know you cant change the vacation weeks I get screwed out of work this week. I hate UPS. There seems to be always something. But I need the insurance and UPS has the name behind them. Id rather tell people I work at UPS than Macdees. I am so pissed off!! They don't know how to run our little hub it is ridicules the stuff that goes on!

Sorry you got screwed!!! PT sups are worthless.

Pollocknbrown

no thats not fair to say, there are some good ones...but when it comes to personal business in terms of hours and pay, your wasting your breath talking to them.....just go to the manager or FT sups after or b4 your shift with those problems....they could care less too but generally atleast fix it.