UPS shutting down 138 hubs nationwide

Has anyone else heard anything about this? Our hub is being shut down and 19 feeder drivers being laid off causing a chain reaction of people losing their jobs. We're not getting very clear answers on anything. Just wondering what anyone else knows?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Are these satellite hubs? Like in small towns?

They did this years ago in Northern California. Shut down a bunch of smaller hubs with say 6-8 package cars and just a couple feeders.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
I wouldn’t think the routes would just disappear. Find out where your route is going and follow it.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
We have over 40 package drivers and almost 50 feeder drivers
Well like mentioned "Change of Operations" language in cointract , means you can follow work. They may cancel some routes/runs altogether or consolidate but as far as I know they can't let people go.

They may try. When they closed Willows, Cali which was a 17 feeder run hub they tried to put us out on the street but the union saved our jobs. We were scattered everywhere. A couple drivers retired, some went to Sac, some went to Roseville, OR, Redding CA, Cordelia , CA etc.It was a real mess but we all still had a job.

Well like mentioned "Change of Operations" language in cointract , means you can follow work. They may cancel some routes/runs altogether or consolidate but as far as I know they can't let people go.

They may try. When they closed Willows, Cali which was a 17 feeder run hub they tried to put us out on the street but the union saved our jobs. We were scattered everywhere. A couple drivers retired, some went to Sac, some went to Roseville, OR, Redding CA, Cordelia , CA etc.It was a real mess but we all still had a job.
This sounds all too familiar. Basically either move, or go back to the bottom of package. It's a mess for sure