UPS Slip-sliding away

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS profit falls as global customers use cheaper shipping - Yahoo

United Parcel Service Inc (UPS) on Tuesday posted a smaller quarterly profit as customers, especially on international routes, chose slower, cheaper shipping services.

Earlier in the month, UPS said it expected to report a quarterly profit below analysts' expectations due to a weak U.S. industrial economy, customers switching to less expensive shipping options and overcapacity in the global air freight market.

dei8

Yes stink I can respond. Read the who;e article not just the headline.1.For the second quarter, UPS, the world's No. 1 package delivery company, said export shipments rose 5 percent, but because customers used more normal delivery services instead of express options, export revenue fell 3.4 percent. That means more packages if I am not mistaken.2. In the domestic market, daily package volume improved 1.9 percent from the same period last year as more customers shopped online. Total U.S. domestic revenue per piece was up 0.3 percent. 3For the quarter, UPS earned $1.07 billion, or $1.13 a share, in the second quarter, compared with $1.12 billion, or $1.15 a share a year before.NOT LOST 4Total revenue increased 1.2 percent to $13.51 billion. So lets recap. MORE packages for us to deliver, and UPS Earned 1.07 BILLION DOLLARs, and you want us to feel sorry. Yes the earned a little less, but pretty sure they are not that close to going bankrupt

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
All I know is we are working with less and doing the same. Cut Cut Cut . I am working as 1 where we had 2. Same numbers just getting a little more time.

It only bothers me IF we didn't have the foresight to see this coming and have plans for a cheaper, albeit slower, service to recapture the volume.

​Adaptation is survival.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
UPS profit falls as global customers use cheaper shipping - Yahoo

United Parcel Service Inc (UPS) on Tuesday posted a smaller quarterly profit as customers, especially on international routes, chose slower, cheaper shipping services.

Earlier in the month, UPS said it expected to report a quarterly profit below analysts' expectations due to a weak U.S. industrial economy, customers switching to less expensive shipping options and overcapacity in the global air freight market.

Isn't the same problem (more and more international shipments being shifted away from premium services and more towards cheaper service levels) also adversely affecting FedEx?

RealPerson

Yes stink I can respond. Read the who;e article not just the headline.1.For the second quarter, UPS, the world's No. 1 package delivery company, said export shipments rose 5 percent, but because customers used more normal delivery services instead of express options, export revenue fell 3.4 percent. That means more packages if I am not mistaken.2. In the domestic market, daily package volume improved 1.9 percent from the same period last year as more customers shopped online. Total U.S. domestic revenue per piece was up 0.3 percent. 3For the quarter, UPS earned $1.07 billion, or $1.13 a share, in the second quarter, compared with $1.12 billion, or $1.15 a share a year before.NOT LOST 4Total revenue increased 1.2 percent to $13.51 billion. So lets recap. MORE packages for us to deliver, and UPS Earned 1.07 BILLION DOLLARs, and you want us to feel sorry. Yes the earned a little less, but pretty sure they are not that close to going bankrupt

Maybe UPS can raise our PPH, to cover the Not making a Record Profit, LOL...

But then again if injuries went down with more help, I am sure that would help the bottom line also.

Maybe UPS can offer a Cheaper SLOWER Delivery rate as well, and then send with the USPS, HAHA

I had a package take 2 days longer because UPS handed it off to USPS. It got to my center on a Tuesday, should of went out for delivery, but instead went to the post office, then it was delivered to me on Thursday.... I guess I could of Paid $5 extra to HOLD it at my center then drove on my gas to go get it, and then cut more from a Fellow Brothers route....

Stink you sure do smell..

rudy5150

just cuz we made a little less doesn't mean they didn't make more profit. Read between the lines! Our workforce has shrunk and is filled with new part timers and cover drivers.

rudy5150

Liquidity

UPS generated free cash flow of $2.5 billion and spent $990 million in the second quarter. The company also repurchased 21.8 million shares worth $1.8 billion and paid dividends of $1.1 billion.

Guidance

As guided on Jul 12, 2013 adjusted diluted earnings per share are likely to the range between $4.65 and $4.85. The projection represents year-over-year growth of 3% to 7%. In the second half of the year, the company expects earnings growth to accelerate, representing growth rate of 4% to 13%.

Our Analysis

Despite the challenging macroeconomic conditions, UPS has a strong hold within the industry with a focused approach towards expansion, various strategic measures, collaborations with other leading firms, a well-defined business model and constant technology upgrades. Its integrated sales approach also promises growth given its industry-leading margins and financial strength. However, we remain concerned about the volatile economy condition that continues to restrict market demand. Further, rising pension headwinds also keep us on the sidelines.

UPS, which operates with the likes of FedEx Corporation (FDX), Expeditors International of Washington Inc. (EXPD) and Radiant Logistics, Inc. (RLGT) retains a Zacks Rank # 4 (Sell).

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Do you know what any of that means?

Didn't think so....

Liquidity

UPS generated free cash flow of $2.5 billion and spent $990 million in the second quarter. The company also repurchased 21.8 million shares worth $1.8 billion and paid dividends of $1.1 billion.

Guidance

As guided on Jul 12, 2013 adjusted diluted earnings per share are likely to the range between $4.65 and $4.85. The projection represents year-over-year growth of 3% to 7%. In the second half of the year, the company expects earnings growth to accelerate, representing growth rate of 4% to 13%.

Our Analysis

Despite the challenging macroeconomic conditions, UPS has a strong hold within the industry with a focused approach towards expansion, various strategic measures, collaborations with other leading firms, a well-defined business model and constant technology upgrades. Its integrated sales approach also promises growth given its industry-leading margins and financial strength. However, we remain concerned about the volatile economy condition that continues to restrict market demand. Further, rising pension headwinds also keep us on the sidelines.

UPS, which operates with the likes of FedEx Corporation (FDX), Expeditors International of Washington Inc. (EXPD) and Radiant Logistics, Inc. (RLGT) retains a Zacks Rank # 4 (Sell).

purplesky

Is the recession/depression/ economic downturn -- or whatever we have been calling it -- finally over? I like Downward economic spiral.

UPS has survived a major recession that probably isnt over yet and UPS still made record profits. The economy will recover at some point.

UPS is a buy.