UPS Stance on Marijuana

U

uber

Do they test you prior to getting into package driving? If I remember correctly its only if you get in an accident or if your feeder and have CDL.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
yea, thats what I do, dont do it. yes I think you get tested initially, then if and when you have a reason to be checked. Accident, absences. An it stays on you forever. Takes like 90 days to test clean if you are a reg user. Do it before you get a real job, then after you retire.
And then no worries. Its not that hard. Why jeopardize a job for a joint, dont get it.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I work as a driver in CT

I also was in management for 3 years

If you are a driver and are caught with marijuana in your system, you will be fired and the union will have to fight so you can prove that you are an addict and that you need help. You get caught again and you're gone

If you work inside, if a management person feels you are under the influence, you will be subject to a fit-for-work test where an ambulance will be summoned or you will be driven to a clinic (depending on times of day) where you will be tested for an illegal substance. THEN your Union will have to fight to prove you are an addict and if caught again YOU ARE GONE

OH BY THE WAY
In management, if you are caught, You're walked out of the building !!! NUFF SAID

Doesn't sound like a decriminalized substance !!!!

browniehound

Here is the way I see it and it was already posted by another member I believe. Even though its not a criminal offense it IS still a criminal offense to be under the influence and drive any vehicle. In case you were thinking about it I would advise YOU (or anyone) to NEVER smoke before/during work or on property. I understand driving while impaired on weed is not even close to driving drunk but you still are impaired if you believe so or not.

The facts point to that it impairs your driving. However, I would argue its not nearly as dangerous as texting and driving or talking on the cell and driving. I will never advocate smoking and driving but in no way can it be compared to drinking and driving. Its a total different ballgame. People die by the hundreds daily from drunk driving in the US. I never hear about 'smoking and driving' deaths. It simply doesn't happen and its obvious to why. People who drive stoned travel at about 15 MPH below the posted speed limit, LOL. On that same road a drunk driver will travel at 15 MPH OVER the speed limit with extremely dulled reflexes. I'll ride with an experienced stoned driver any day and be and feel comfortably safe.

You need to be careful because another good point was bought up. For alcohol there is a breath test that will prove y how intoxicated you are with a scientifically based number. There is no test for weed except the eyeball test when talking about the immediate incident. If this person is forced to take a urine test he could test positive even if he only took 2 bong hits in his 33 year-old buddy's basement (while his buddy's mother was doing the dishes upstairs, lol) 2 weeks prior.

Should the driver be fired if he tests positive? Say he is under no suspicion from management or the police and the accident was totally unavoidable on his part, should testing positive for Marijuana be a his death sentence? Especially now that its decriminalized in many states?

I say no because it doesn't prove he was high while at work. It just proves he smoked sometime in the last month. What if alcohol stayed in the urine in non-measurable levels for 30 days? That's what we are talking about with marijuana now that its a civil offense.

Unless the employee appears intoxicated to management I believe he will not be subjected to drug tests. Is this correct? I believe he shouldn't be... for the record.

S

speeddemon

Why people want to voluntarily kill brain cells is beyond me. And the ironic thing is, the majority of those who smoke weed are the ones who need all the brain cells they can get!

goetface

[PIC][/PIC]
Why people want to voluntarily kill brain cells is beyond me. And the ironic thing is, the majority of those who smoke weed are the ones who need all the brain cells they can get!

thats why marijuana is given to brain tumor patients to stimulate brain cells to regenerate? is it also why its known to boost the creative portion of the brain ? is it also why you are just regugitating reefer madness 1950's propaganda? If anything alcohol infact kills brain cells. Marijuana is known to temporarily decrease short term memory, not sure anyone's smoked it and jumped off a tall building like all them religious backed anti-marijuana horsecrap facts.

moreluck

golden ticket member

Question: How is Marijuana Harmful?
Answer: Marijuana can be harmful in a number of ways, through both immediate effects and damage to health over time.

Marijuana hinders the user's short-term memory (memory for recent events), and he or she may have trouble handling complex tasks. With the use of more potent varieties of marijuana, even simple tasks can be difficult.

Because of the drug's effects on perceptions and reaction time, users could be involved in auto crashes. Drug users also may become involved in risky sexual behavior. There is a strong link between drug use and unsafe sex and the spread of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

Under the influence of marijuana, students may find it hard to study and learn. Young athletes could find their performance is off; timing, movements, and coordination are all affected by THC.

Question: What Does Marijuana Do to the Brain?
Answer: Some studies show that when people have smoked large amounts of marijuana for years, the drug takes its toll on mental functions.

Heavy or daily use of marijuana affects the parts of the brain that control memory, attention, and learning. A working short-term memory is needed to learn and perform tasks that call for more than one or two steps.

Smoking marijuana causes some changes in the brain that are like those caused by cocaine, heroin, and alcohol. Some researchers believe that these changes may put a person more at risk of becoming addicted to other drugs, such as cocaine or heroin. Scientists are still learning about the many ways that marijuana could affect the brain.

Lungs and Airways

People who smoke marijuana regularly may develop many of the same breathing problems that tobacco smokers have, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent chest colds, a heightened risk of lung infections, and a greater tendency toward obstructed airways. Cancer of the respiratory tract and lungs may also be promoted by marijuana smoke, since it contains irritants and carcinogens. Marijuana smokers usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer, which increases the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke. Thus, puff for puff, smoking marijuana may increase the risk of cancer more than smoking tobacco does.

menotyou

bella amicizia
If you use a vaporizer, there are no side effects to the air pathways.

Which is more harmful, alcohol or pot? How many children are killed by potheads driving 15 miles an hour on their way to the munchie store?

moreluck

golden ticket member
That's kind of like asking.......do you want to be shot or hung?(cach, you don't need to answer this one).............either way the results are the same.
I would not like to be a passenger in a car driven by a drunk or a high pot smoker!!

Legality comes in too.... it's legal to drink....but illegal to drive drunk and to smoke pot.

Don't do either is the best way to go.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Are people so unsatisfied with their own personas that they feel obligated to distort themselves with pot or alcohol... to what? ....appear more likeable to others????

menotyou

bella amicizia
Just saying that pot is nowhere near as bad as booze. No one blacks out on pot. Alcohol and the influence of alcohol on perceptions and actions is way worse than pot. The alcohol industry and the pharmaceutical has done a wonderful job of scaring people so they can dominate their respective fields.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

LOL at the ignorance of some. I am SO sorry. *Goes back to absorbing quantum mechanics while smoking a J of PIFF*

Marijuana is an absolute enhancement in many aspects of life. Have you ever read a book, had a thought provoking conversation with like minded friends, listened to music, devoured ice cream or just sat there and relaxed while high? Reefer madness is long gone. Time to figure things out for yourselves. Some of the brightest people I know smoke. Some of the stupidest smoke as well. That is life.

I would say something about hallucinogens and what they can do for you, but I will let that one be ;)

Keep destroying your livers, beating your wives, breaking apart your families and killing others behind the wheel.

I will stick to my "stupid herb". A plant put here by your creator. All natural for your satisfaction.. meatheads.

I will reserve comment on this until I retire.:wink2:

moreluck

golden ticket member
LOL at the ignorance of some. I am SO sorry. *Goes back to absorbing quantum mechanics while smoking a J of PIFF*

Marijuana is an absolute enhancement in many aspects of life. Have you ever read a book, had a thought provoking conversation with like minded friends, listened to music, devoured ice cream or just sat there and relaxed while high? Reefer madness is long gone. Time to figure things out for yourselves. Some of the brightest people I know smoke. Some of the stupidest smoke as well. That is life.

I would say something about hallucinogens and what they can do for you, but I will let that one be ;)

Keep destroying your livers, beating your wives, breaking apart your families and killing others behind the wheel.

I will stick to my "stupid herb". A plant put here by your creator. All natural for your satisfaction.. meatheads.

Oh yeah, natural........eat the next mushroom you see growing in a lawn or under a tree. They're natural too.