Ups stock

ManInBrown

I put aside $50 a week to buy the stock. I’m seriously considering stopping and just adding 2% more to my 401K. The discount really sucks. Lousy 5%. A lot of companies give 15%. I only own 45 shares but it doesn’t seem like a stock that you can really make money on. It hovers around the same price point for as long as I’ve been buying it. Just doesn’t seem worth it. I don’t see anything on the horizon to make it shoot up to $150+ just seems like a total waste. Be better off just adding to the 401K. What do you guys think? I mean I know it’s only 50 bucks. Buy weekly and just forget about it for the rest of my career. Check my balance in 20 years but it just seems like the 401K would be better served. My 401K is up 26% since the day Trump took office. And if the contract gets voted down the stock will definitely go in the tank.

Last edited:

ManInBrown

I'd personally rather put the $ in some safe (well-diversified) 401K index funds than buy UPS stock and hope its growth/returns beat the overall market.
I have 100% of my 401K in the two S&P funds. Probably not to smart but it’s paid off big time the last 18 months.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
When UPS went public, my Center Manager told me it would never be the same. Too many shares offered and the stock will never split again. I just bought 144 shares and I hung onto those with the IPO, the rest I put into mutual funds when the Thrift Plan ended. Most of my investments are in the 401K, I'm sticking 20% into it every payday now.

Last edited:
When UPS went public, my Center Manager told me it would never be the same. Too many share offered and the stock will never split again. I just bought 144 shares and I hung onto those with the IPO, the rest I put into mutual funds when the Thrift Plan ended. Most of my investments are in the 401K, I'm sticking 20% into it every payday now.
Into the stock or the 401k?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Nice. Are you using the ROTH option for any of it?

Mine is a traditional, I don't think Roth existed with the IPO. I recommend new employees to go with a Roth though. I know I can start one but I don't think it would matter much since I'm close to retirement.

ManInBrown

When UPS went public, my Center Manager told me it would never be the same. Too many shares offered and the stock will never split again. I just bought 144 shares and I hung onto those with the IPO, the rest I put into mutual funds when the Thrift Plan ended. Most of my investments are in the 401K, I'm sticking 20% into it every payday now.
Yeah I put 13% in my 401K. Debating 15 or 16 and just ending the stock purchase. Why do you like the Roth over traditional other than the obvious? Tax free when you withdrawal. I did the Roth very early on in my career at UPS for a brief time, but switched to traditional.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Just remember the ROTH is tax free when you withdraw from it.

Oh I know that, that would be the best way to go if somebody is starting out. I put my 144 shares of UPS into an IRA and bought some mutual funds at that time. My UPS dividends get re-invested back into my mutual funds and a money market account. I'm planning on six different money streams to take care of me in retirement. Pension, Social Security, 401K, IRA, Mutual Funds, and a little in the money market. I opened a small Coin Bank account to play around with crypto currency a little bit but that seems like a bust right now.

Oh I know that, that would be the best way to go if somebody is starting out. I put my 144 shares of UPS into an IRA and bought some mutual funds at that time. My UPS dividends get re-invested back into my mutual funds and a money market account. I'm planning on six different money streams to take care of me in retirement. Pension, Social Security, 401K, IRA, Mutual Funds, and a little in the money market. I opened a small Coin Bank account to play around with crypto currency a little bit but that seems like a bust right now.
Are you going to try to stick it out till 2020 with pension increase?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Didn't it open at about $50? You were able to buy at the original IPO price before it went public?

A lot of management cashed in and retired then.

I had raided my Thrift Plan several times since I wasn't planning on staying here as a career originally, that was a bad mistake. When it was done away with, I bought 144 Shares of UPS at $25 a share, it did double to $50 when it went public. I had one supervisor that took a second mortgage out on her house and made a bundle at the time.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Are you going to try to stick it out till 2020 with pension increase?

I'm trying to decide that right now, that's 17 months away. I would have been tempted to retire right now if that was offered last Wednesday like it should have been. I noticed that was another concession to make us work two more Peak Seasons to get that. I haven't punched that date into the retirement calculator yet but that should put me at about $4700 a month pension payment. All the guys that are left that started driving when I did are pondering that Jan. 2020 date right now. Most of them are in Feeders, the ones left in package are just about crippled for life with injuries this job has caused.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I put 13% in my 401K. Debating 15 or 16 and just ending the stock purchase. Why do you like the Roth over traditional other than the obvious? Tax free when you withdrawal. I did the Roth very early on in my career at UPS for a brief time, but switched to traditional.

The Roth simply didn't exist at that time, a traditional was the only choice offered. I know I'm going to pay a lot of taxes when I start to spend mine. I would bump up the 401K as much as you can and talk to an investment expert to pick the best funds for your situation.

I'm trying to decide that right now, that's 17 months away. I would have been tempted to retire right now if that was offered last Wednesday like it should have been. I noticed that was another concession to make us work two more Peak Seasons to get that. I haven't punched that date into the retirement calculator yet but that should put me at about $4700 a month pension payment. All the guys that are left that started driving when I did are pondering that Jan. 2020 date right now. Most of them are in Feeders, the ones left in package are just about crippled for life with injuries this job has caused.
They don't want everyone to retire this year and have another peak disaster.

It's hard choice you have to make.

ManInBrown

The Roth simply didn't exist at that time, a traditional was the only choice offered. I know I'm going to pay a lot of taxes when I start to spend mine. I would bump up the 401K as much as you can and talk to an investment expert to pick the best funds for your situation.
I was thinking of talking to an expert. I know having 100% in S&P is dangerous. Been very profitable last 18 months but probably not advice an expert would recommend.

Here’s what I don’t understand why people prefer the Roth. What does it matter if you pay the taxes now or later? Isn’t all the same, and in some cases couldn’t it be more beneficial to pay them later? That’s the complicated part that I don’t understand. Could they change the laws down the road and tax traditional 401K’s very heavily? Is that why people like Roth?

Hey, might as well be aggressive with your retirement investments if you're still a couple decades out from hanging it up at work.
Why would you invest in a company that you know is so ass backwards? If the shareholders only knew that Orion is a total waste. They pull rdo in favor of a useless map. Bid drivers know there routes. They don’t need a map on the diad. And they don’t need some worthless program putting our stops in the wrong order everyday.