UPS store issues...

SnakePlissken

I have a UPS store pick up on my route. I like the owner a lot and most of the employees that work there. Well, when they're not on the internet that is. They constantly surf the web and wait till the last minute to process the packages and hold me up almost every day. But that not my major gripe.

Lately, when I go in to load up their stuff, I've noticed that the weights of the packages are WAY off. Like a huge 65 lb. package that has 10 lbs. on it. I've seen packages being naturally well over 70 lbs. and dimensionally overweight both still have like 15 lbs. on it.

They have a scale right there! They have no excuse. But they can't be bothered to get off the internet or their phones and weigh the stuff. And it's got their account number on the bar code-- not a drop off package. I've said "if you're going to put a weight on it anyway, why not put the right one on it?" That's when he gave me the lame excuse such as "why should I bother if we're not making any money on it" type of tripe. How lazy can you be?!

I don't know how UPS stores work when it comes to that stuff. I've complained about it on occasion, but one of the workers told me that weighing packages doesn't affect how much they charge. I'm like WTF? I didn't believe them, but that's the excuse they used.

It's not my goal to get anyone there in trouble, but I don't want to see me or anyone else down the line get hurt by improper weights being applied to the labels. I've told them about the safety concerns but the problem still persists. I'm contemplating talking to the owner if it doesn't get resolved soon.

I have to go there almost every day and don't really want to start some crap, but I want this resolved to my satisfaction.

Does anyone know how the UPS store would truly operate on this matter? Can I refuse to pick up these packages until they are properly weighed? I mean, seriously, their job is to weigh crap, right?!

Any help?

over9five

Staff member
See if you can find a revenue auditor when you get back to the building. This issue will be quickly resolved once that store gets the audit bill.

Notretiredyet

Had a similar issue with a customer once, warned them once about putting the correct weight on the packages. After that I just made it a point to notify a revenue auditor when there was a problem. It ended soon after they received a bill from UPS for corrections. Do the same with address issues, tell them once, then if the problem persists give to auditor or address correct in diad. I'm not going to argue with a customer about things like this, once they get the bill charging them it ends without me being the bad guy.

over9five

Staff member
Had a similar issue with a customer once, warned them once about putting the correct weight on the packages. After that I just made it a point to notify a revenue auditor when there was a problem. It ended soon after they received a bill from UPS for corrections. Do the same with address issues, tell them once, then if the problem persists give to auditor or address correct in diad. I'm not going to argue with a customer about things like this, once they get the bill charging them it ends without me being the bad guy.

​Exactly. All you gotta say is "The auditor must have caught them".

P

pickup

I think I , and many others here, have figured out how these UPS stores work. They are the shipper and get a volume discount .The customer theoretically pays the same price that hewould if he shipped the package by himself(without the volume discount). The discount would be the UPS store's profit.

However, many customers don't check what it would cost to ship themselves and end up paying a much higher price at the store. There are a few that will mention the price they encountered on line. The UPS store personnel could double check and "realize" their error or convince the customers that they didn't put all the parameters in correctly.

So, that's how a UPS store makes money. Now apparently, they found another angle :by decreasing the stated weights , they pay less to ship packages. Their customer, shipping a 65 pound box, paid willingly some more dough to ship a heavy box. The UPS store is not willing to pay the extra money to ship that same heavy box.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Our reply at the Customer Counter to people who state that the UPS Store charge so much more (1) we are a corporate location & (2) they can charge what ever they want .

over9five

Staff member
I have refused to pick up many packages that have the wrong weight. Most of them are call tags that say 1 lb and are 20+.

That's cool if that's the policy where you are. I've called about the same thing and been told "Just pick it up".

​Curious: Do you sheet it as missed?

Buck Fifty

I have also questioned my UPS Store about a few of their overweight shipments be incorrectly marked. What's happening is, they are charging by the dimensional weight not the actual. Other than the obvious safety issue, no revenue is being lost.

I have also questioned my UPS Store about a few of their overweight shipments be incorrectly marked. What's happening is, they are charging by the dimensional weight not the actual. Other than the obvious safety issue, no revenue is being lost.
I dont have a UPS store on my route...but i do have a ffew shippers that do go a lil bit overboard! I always say " I wish u sold shrimp" they say why?.......I would lime to order 5lbs...and get 20lbs...they usually get the message!......lolo

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have refused to pick up many packages that have the wrong weight. Most of them are call tags that say 1 lb and are 20+.

Do you have the authority to make that decision?

That's playing it a bit dicey.

A rule of thumb in business ... never turn away a customer.
UPS has closed loop billing and gets the right revenue in the end.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I stopped worrying about this type of stuff. The lack of caring on managements end when I've brought these issues up before is the attitude I take now. I don't get paid by the weight, dimensions, or amount of packages I pick up. Wether the correct weights are on these packages or not doesn't effect my check one bit.

SnakePlissken

Dimensionally, the packages should be over 70s. They're close to the size of refrigerators at times and only have 10 lbs. on them!

browned_out

Yes, we do have the authority to refuse to pick up a package. There are a variety of reasons that this can happen, as stated above incorrect weight.

browned_out

I stopped worrying about this type of stuff. The lack of caring on managements end when I've brought these issues up before is the attitude I take now. I don't get paid by the weight, dimensions, or amount of packages I pick up. Wether the correct weights are on these packages or not doesn't effect my check one bit.

While you are correct, the revenue ups collects does go to pay your wages/benefits.