UPS Store tells employees to lie, overcharge customers: suit

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Maurice-Moss-Eating-Popcorn-The-IT-Crowd.gif

...though I bet this is settled behind closed doors and out of the public eye.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

- Charging customers fuel surcharges for air delivery, even when packages weren’t shipped by plane but by truck.

UPS Store employees have zero control over how we transport air packages.

I pick up at a UPS Store and the employees there always give the customer all of the service options and corresponding prices for their shipments. They then ask the customer to review and sign the receipt, which shows the address the package is being shipped to, the level of service and the total price, which is broken down to show any fees and/or surcharges.

Do they try to upsell? Sure but what retail business doesn't try to upsell?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
- Charging customers fuel surcharges for air delivery, even when packages weren’t shipped by plane but by truck.

UPS Store employees have zero control over how we transport air packages.

I pick up at a UPS Store and the employees there always give the customer all of the service options and corresponding prices for their shipments. They then ask the customer to review and sign the receipt, which shows the address the package is being shipped to, the level of service and the total price, which is broken down to show any fees and/or surcharges.

Do they try to upsell? Sure but what retail business doesn't try to upsell?

wnod.gif

ups1990

I believe it was around 5 years ago I witnessed a UPS store employee flip over a used semi-new box and charge the customer the price for a new box. I guess we all get hosed along our consumer journey. Been to Disneyland or Sea World lately?

bluebiker

When I used to ship stuff I sold on ebay, the ebay price calculator price always seemed to be a couple of dollars less than what it cost if I walked in to the UPS store. I found if I used paypal shipping using UPS it cost the price calculator price.

I asked about it once at a UPS store and got shrugged shoulders. I guess now I know why.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
When I used to ship stuff I sold on ebay, the ebay price calculator price always seemed to be a couple of dollars less than what it cost if I walked in to the UPS store. I found if I used paypal shipping using UPS it cost the price calculator price.

I asked about it once at a UPS store and got shrugged shoulders. I guess now I know why.
The UPS Store charges standard rates.
PayPal/ebay gets a discounted rate, some of which they pass onto their seller/shippers.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How does ORION change the fuel surcharge? If the company is saving tons of fuel by cutting miles, how do they justify current surcharges?

I smell class action.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Based solely on the Post's information, the Hagan's were in control of their customer interface and their employees, not UPS. They're just a couple of losers that will end up with huge legal fees and probably nothing else. I don't think UPS would settle on something like this.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Whats ironic about this story, is that revenue clerks all over the country do the same thing at the end of the pens everyday every week every month every year.

How many times has a customer come to you and asked how they got charged a correction on a box that mysteriously grew after it was picked up?

Then they show you the bill and the package is inches larger than it actually was.

Its an ugly trend at UPS, and a cheap way to increase revenue for nothing knowing that less than 1% of our customers actually check the bills vs. just paying them.

Dishonestly at the hub level is a systemic syndrome that wont be stopped until the company gets away with the number game.

TOS.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Everyone has to be good at something. Maybe that's his thing. Does it bother you if that's his contribution to this forum?

I'm just picking on him because I asked him why all he does is post news stories and never contribute otherwise and he didn't even have answer for me. His answer was a complete tangent.