UPS Stores: I don't know :censored: about them.

LS Nerd

So real talk I have zero knowledge of what goes on at the UPS Stores. We have one near us and I've never been inside, and all I know is that we get packages from them daily. But I was talking to a buddy looking for work and recommended UPS to him. One thing that came up was the fact he has a UPS store near him as well. But I'm curious, are their employees treated the same as someone that works in a center? Same benefits and such? Or is a UPS store its own side thing?

EDIT: Oh hell I didn't realize the topic would get censored. Now I could not know about any number of things that could be considered crass.

By The Book

So real talk I have zero knowledge of what goes on at the UPS Stores. We have one near us and I've never been inside, and all I know is that we get packages from them daily. But I was talking to a buddy looking for work and recommended UPS to him. One thing that came up was the fact he has a UPS store near him as well. But I'm curious, are their employees treated the same as someone that works in a center? Same benefits and such? Or is a UPS store its own side thing?
UPS stores are not part of the Union. Just another job and it's not tied into the local UPS facility, two separate entities.

By The Book

Alright then, thanks for the information. Man, that's kind of a shame. Seemed like a good idea. Oh well.
Most if not all of those UPS stores are franchises, and are owned and operated within the guidelines of UPS, by individual business owners. The UPS buildings give them late pickup times and monetary credit for accepting packages that they accept for UPS.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Lol. The UPS Store near me has a Help Wanted sign always in the window. They pay crap and people quit like crazy! The place sucks.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Lol. The UPS Store near me has a Help Wanted sign always in the window. They pay crap and people quit like crazy! The place sucks.
I worked at a ups store as my second job while I was a preloader and it wasn't that bad. My boss was very understandable about my ups situation and didn't care if I would take a week off if I had to cover a route as a utility driver. I would recommend it as a second job but not as a primary job.

DriverNerd

It all depends on the business owner. If he/she is a decent person, it might not be such a bad job. It doesn't take long to learn the ins and outs and it's certainly not too labor intensive. Mostly doing computer work/clean up/taping and packing. The UPS store I pick up is better than most, from what I gather. The employees seem to stick around and I think their pay is okay (based on one individual). I always get please and thank you from the owners and a good tip every Christmas. The biggest downside is dealing with pissed off customers, but that comes with any customer service job.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
UPS years ago bought MBE , Mail Boxes Etc. and converted them into UPS stores .
MBE were making a ton of money because they were serving every shipper .

AlliSeeisBrown

I don't know much either, but what I do know is that I pick up two UPS stores usually and they're polar opposites. At one, the employees are chill, typically college aged, boss man trusts them and they pitch in to help me get in and get back on the road.
The other one....When I walk in the employees have "help me" looks on their face, boss man is in the back micromanaging everything, and they're told not to help me at all. If I get it loaded up 10 minutes before scheduled close out, he'll make me wait those 10 minutes. I started showing up later in the window for this reason and he tells me to hurry up.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I don't know much either, but what I do know is that I pick up two UPS stores usually and they're polar opposites. At one, the employees are chill, typically college aged, boss man trusts them and they pitch in to help me get in and get back on the road.
The other one....When I walk in the employees have "help me" looks on their face, boss man is in the back micromanaging everything, and they're told not to help me at all. If I get it loaded up 10 minutes before scheduled close out, he'll make me wait those 10 minutes. I started showing up later in the window for this reason and he tells me to hurry up.
We can't close out any ups before its scheduled. Same as a Dropbox.

PT Car Washer

I have picked up at both of the two stores you described. Plus the one store that the owner's parents bought for him so he could have a FT job. Never know what time he will close on Saturday or if he will even open because of a Holiday. Like national bird day or something.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS years ago bought MBE , Mail Boxes Etc. and converted them into UPS stores .
MBE were making a ton of money because they were serving every shipper .

This is only partially true. Our local MBE declined their purchase offer and was required to change their name in order to stay in business.

MC0493

Same with the store i've visited. They won't print the end of day even one minute early. I've had to sit around multiple times for a half hour or so just to wait since i got there early.