UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 2012

brownboyups

hello fellow UPSers who invest...in 2009 got out of the Prudential 401k options and moved all but the mandatory 3% into the Dreyfus self managed account to pick and buy stocks...just takes a 10 minute phone call to Prudential to transfer funds

i have a passion for investing in dividend stocks
24 years with UPS
$142,000 in my account
making 12K in dividends per year
you buy when stocks are going down (on sale) not when they are going up

feel free to add your own stocks or ask any questions

stocks i own

all stocks were bought on 11-19-2012

T...AT&T...telecommunications...yield 5.1%
ECT...natural gas trust...yield 15.1%
OHI...healthcare...yield 7%
NYCB...bank...yield 7.1%
RNO...coal...yield 12.4%
SDRL...seadrill...oil rig company...yield 8.9%
NYMT...mortgage reit...yield 15.7%
AI...mortgage reit...yield 14.4%
RCS...pimco bonds...yield 8.1%
PNNT...investment company...yield 10.2%
PSEC...investment company...yield 11.7%

brownboyups

Re: UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 20

didn't know you could...see your an upstate UPSer...me to...Rome, NY center

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Re: UPS/Teamster 401k...Prudential to a Dreyfus self managed account...+22.86% for 20

I put 25% in each of 4 aggressive funds and basically just set it and forget it.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!

I love Divi stocks. I stay away from the growth or speculative stocks. No way I think I can beat those that do it for a living so Divi stocks are the only way I can feel safe.

Long:
PSEC- gotta love monthly payers
DX- got in very low (8.80)
EFC- Also got in low and this stock just keeps running. Growth+ Yield=love it
OXLC- Feb 15 for the special offer (14.50/share for every 2 you own)
UPS-look for an increase in the divi in the next few weeks and the 5% discount through the DESPP is nice, not as nice as the 10% we once got but nothing to sneeze at!

My next buys will be on pull backs of:

TWO-Take a look at it, some very interesting happenings going down.
NCT-just need the right entry point.
NYMT-Sandy scared me, want to see next earnings report.
MCC-steady divi growth stock.

Yes I am very heavy in the financials segment but with interst rates so low and going to stay that way through 2014 I see it as a win-win. I stay away from the pure agency plays and stick with the hybrid REITs and BDCs. If interst rates stay low through the end of 2015 I'll be playing with the "house's money" and can re-ballance then. My rules for myself are only those at or below book value and must be at least maintaning divi's.

Right now my best info source is Seeking Alpha. 3/4 of the above I discovered not from the atricles themselves but from the discussions following the articles. I am also starting to look into MLP's but need more infomation on the tax issues on these.

Where are you finding your best leads?

brownboyups

two scares me...look at their earnings...i looked but doesn't pass my threshold
when it's time to look i hit the net and turn over every rock...trust my brain and wits...love doing homework and picking stocks
best leads...google dividend paying stocks then use cnn/money...aol/finance...yahoo/finance...scottrade...seeking alpha to break down each company down
my stocks up $2,700 last two days 2-12-13...2-13-13 with +1,850 in dividends starting 2-14-13 to 2-28-13
Benben u have the same passion as me
on my days off or vacation i have bloomberg and cnbc on tv
GOF is on my radar right now

brownboyups

use AT&T's earnings history report as a guide when looking at companies to invest in...so many companies offer a high yield but miss on earnings...companies like AT&T that
have that kind of earning history will never hurt you...my advice...look at OHI earnings...outstanding

Benben

I personally think the market is out in left field and is way overdue for a correction. With that being said .........my war-chest to pickup stocks at a discount to book value keeps growing.....

TWO doesn't look great because of the spin-off which took a bite out of the book value......I see what they did as a way to gain income on fore-closed properties without having to mess with the head-ache of relisting them....but this is my opinion. I still have not pulled the trigger on this stock so something in my gut tells my to wait.

I have been looking a bit closer at CYS... BoA lists this stock as a buy but have just started doing my homework on this stock...gimme a couple of days and will have decided on this one. I watch Mad Money and Fast Money every night at 10pm with my Merril Lynch account open in 1 tab and google finance in another on the computer to reference the stocks I hear talked about on the TV.

I am a simple truck driver but this is what I think is going on....sue me if you want, its just my opinion.

Corperate America has been sitting on it's insane cash reserves since the Great Recession. Now that a Demo has a guarrented another 4 years they have (think Koch Brothers) decided that the best way to use those reserves is to buy back shares. In my mind the last 2 years has been all about Divi payments so the new buzz word for 2013 is stock re-purchase. The TnT deal fell through, so UPS has decided that they will spend that $4+ Billion buying back shares this year alone. This will increase EPS nicely (which BOMBED in Q4 due to the 1 off pension correction...missed by over 5 cents/share) UNLESS officer compensation in stock options goes up....we'll see in the next Q's stats. You buy back 50 million shares but issue 50 million additional shares in officer compensation.... =a 0 sum-gain.....unless you count the $4 billion that just evaporated.....of course there is always the PR of UPS stock trading at it's decade+ highs because the $4 billion isn't used to buy the stock back at a "good price" but rather used to prop the price up, even drive the price up according to some.

Ok, bed time...biggest day of the year outside of X-Mas peak is tomorrow.

brownboyups

two stocks that i own that are undervalued and are going to go lower...both have solid earnings
RNO...coal...$14.18
ECT...natural gas...sold off because of the dividend ex date and day of record...$17.39

i have no problem anyone owning these 2 stocks at these prices but i feel they can go lower

i've loaded up on $4,700 on dividends payments (free money) and gonna buy more of these 2 stocks...just want best (lowest) price possible

ECA Marcellus Trust Quote Page (ECT)
RHINO RESOURCE PARTNERS LP COM UNIT REPSTG LTD PARTNER Quote Page (RNO)

will update when prices change

Benben

Wow, just did a fast check on GOF.....nice yield, nice history on Divi's, 4-star morningstar rating. Going to do some more digging but this 1 looks very nice. This one really, really needs a pull back and I'm going to jump in I think.

RNO...missed the divi so I am going to check in on the earnings call the 28th. Maybe a call buy before the earnings call? I really want to read the transcript after the 28th. Cutting the divi last year leaves a bad taste in my mouth from the get-go but if there's growth to be had from this point on......

ECT...very interesting. I personally do not like Nat Gas as a play but I'll look into this 1 more. No where near its 52 week high, nice yield. What is the expected life span on this trust?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I personally think the market is out in left field and is way overdue for a correction. With that being said .........my war-chest to pickup stocks at a discount to book value keeps growing.....

TWO doesn't look great because of the spin-off which took a bite out of the book value......I see what they did as a way to gain income on fore-closed properties without having to mess with the head-ache of relisting them....but this is my opinion. I still have not pulled the trigger on this stock so something in my gut tells my to wait.

I have been looking a bit closer at CYS... BoA lists this stock as a buy but have just started doing my homework on this stock...gimme a couple of days and will have decided on this one. I watch Mad Money and Fast Money every night at 10pm with my Merril Lynch account open in 1 tab and google finance in another on the computer to reference the stocks I hear talked about on the TV.

I am a simple truck driver but this is what I think is going on....sue me if you want, its just my opinion.

Corperate America has been sitting on it's insane cash reserves since the Great Recession. Now that a Demo has a guarrented another 4 years they have (think Koch Brothers) decided that the best way to use those reserves is to buy back shares. In my mind the last 2 years has been all about Divi payments so the new buzz word for 2013 is stock re-purchase. The TnT deal fell through, so UPS has decided that they will spend that $4+ Billion buying back shares this year alone. This will increase EPS nicely (which BOMBED in Q4 due to the 1 off pension correction...missed by over 5 cents/share) UNLESS officer compensation in stock options goes up....we'll see in the next Q's stats. You buy back 50 million shares but issue 50 million additional shares in officer compensation.... =a 0 sum-gain.....unless you count the $4 billion that just evaporated.....of course there is always the PR of UPS stock trading at it's decade+ highs because the $4 billion isn't used to buy the stock back at a "good price" but rather used to prop the price up, even drive the price up according to some.

Ok, bed time...biggest day of the year outside of X-Mas peak is tomorrow.

a correction may come but historically speaking the market is still pretty cheap. P/E ratios are pretty low for the overall market right now.

Benben

Correction is in process thanks again to Washington. I personally think the market will continue its slide untill at least the first of March. Maybe through the first if the automatic cuts go into effect and further scares investors.

Looking at my Merrill Edge account trying to decide where to act next and what entry points I want.

Thinking the following:

PSEC- I got in too high. I think I will double my stake to lower the cost basis. Under $10.80 I can get to 12% yield.

CYS- Book value fell and prepayments climbed another .03% to 17.6% This one I will pass one.

ECT- I think I'll put in a limit order at $17.

GOF- I want in at $20.

TWO- I want in at $11.50

DHF- Limit order at $4.

brownboyups

gotta sale going on in a stock pickers market...will post some thoughts this weekend

remember...need stocks to go down to buy...good stocks will always rise again...usually when the dividend comes around

brownboyups

stock market sale didn't last long

prices for almost every stock is too high (look at the chart of every stock u like or want to buy)...they will come down in time...buy when the chart takes a dive not when it
is at a peak

RNO (coal) is a buy at this price...market hates coal until RNO announces another .45 cent dividend then the stock is gonna run
i own 520 shares at $13.90...closed friday at $13.93...just before the dividend it ran up 19%...didn't sell before the dividend...i'm usually a buy a hold person unless the stock goes
so high i gotta sell...USA is going to be using coal for a long long time
going to buy some more very soon...maybe with any luck at a lower price

advice...the VXX...when the VXX is low u don't buy...when the VXX is high u buy...right now the VXX is very low so be very careful

my watchlist

WM
UHT
ETP
LINE
GOF
CSX
HE
FCX
SLV

brownboyups

just found NRP....Natural Resource Partners...passes my earnings test and raises the dividend...looks solid

Benben

I looked at NRP a few months ago and something made me pass on it, but damned if I can remember what it was now. Hell I even took it out of my "buy short list" web folder. Check on Seeking Aplha.

2/25......Dow down 1.5%, SP down 1.8, hell the energy sector as a whole is down over 2.3%. All but 2 of my holdings are down.

RNO UP 1.79%.....WTF? Come on Mr. Market give a guy a break! Gimme a good entry point! We are still 2 days away from the conference call for goodness sakes.