UPS, Teamsters to Restructure New England Pension Plan

UPSGUY72

As a driver in New England, this is great news and eases one of the great fears we faced. I heard this rumor in June by one of my stewards and find the timing very funny. You would think UPS would use this as a condition in labor negotiations instead of just handing all that money out.

By all accounts, the Teamsters negotiating team will probably have to give UPS what it wants in our new deal !!!

UPS was going to be on the hook either way this move just makes it so they are only on the hook for UPS employees... This move should have no effect on the contract negotiating it actually will save UPS money in the long run....

bluehdmc

Sounds very similar to what happened with Central States.

....are you talking about when 6 billion dollars slid across the table and the Teamsters became even more impotent than they were before?

No I'm talking about when UPS got out of Central States so they would no longer be liable for the pension obligations. The problem with multi-employer plans is as more and more employers have gone out of business the employers that are still in business end up paying retirees that did not work for them. Since these retirees are still collecting pensions the remaining companies have larger liabilities or the funds become "underfunded" or both.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
It is exactly what UPS did for Central States. Moved the UPS employees out of the multiemployer plan, thus reducing the risk to the failure of the pension to UPS employees. Central States is holding on by a thread, and if YRC defaults on it's catchup plan with Central States, it will go under.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is exactly what UPS did for Central States. Moved the UPS employees out of the multiemployer plan, thus reducing the risk to the failure of the pension to UPS employees. Central States is holding on by a thread, and if YRC defaults on it's catchup plan with Central States, it will go under.

Did the members vote or was this a decision made by the Union?

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
Multi employer pension funds are backed by the government. Single employer funds are not. It also affects our social security benefits. So if it's consider a single employer fund now, that would suck but it's better than nothing. I can't wait to see the details.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Did the members vote or was this a decision made by the Union?

It was voted on by the members as part of the National Contract Agreement. I'm glad it happened, we will get something. At least UPS knows how to invest and make money, unlike the Central States Pension Fund Trustees.

beentheredonethat

No I'm talking about when UPS got out of Central States so they would no longer be liable for the pension obligations. The problem with multi-employer plans is as more and more employers have gone out of business the employers that are still in business end up paying retirees that did not work for them. Since these retirees are still collecting pensions the remaining companies have larger liabilities or the funds become "underfunded" or both.

I don't know why people keep saying this, it is wrong. Granted, I will give you if there are lots more employees working then collecting the ponzi scheme set up can work and will work for a longer period of time. The problem is very similar to what is happening with Social security. It started off as a great supplement for people when they get older. It was designed initially when the majority of people didn't live much past retirement age. Now we have people talking about 25 and out and collecting 2500+ per month for life. Which for many people can be in the order of 40 or 50 years. I'll give you that 1/2 the vote was by members of companies and 1/2 teamsters. UPS for the longest time didn't even get one vote, now we do. I do not know what the other companies contribute nor what other companies employees make. I've heard different rumors that it is close to what a retired UPSer would make. A proper retirement plan should assume modest returns and will have acturial data to know the avg life span. They can know exactly how much needs to be collected and how much they can give out to fully fund what they promised the retirees. A properly funded retirement plan could have every company stop the next day paying into the fund (and of course, all employees would stop gaining additional time) and the fund could pay out what is promised. That's the whole idea. The TEAMSTERS mismanaged the fund, they stole money, they overpromised benefits to stay in power etc. I've said this before, and I"ll say it again. Look at what UPS pays out in your name to the pension fund. Show it to a financial advisor of what has been contributed. Then show them what they are offering. The financial advisors will easily tell you that you are getting screwed.

TheKid

We are having a meeting tonight to go over the changes in the pension. My BA has briefed me on it and it does truly seem like a win / win situation for UPS and Teamsters.

What'dyabringmetoday???

This appears on the surface to be a win/win for the New England Teamsters and UPS. I do hope that our pension fund is next on their list.

....and as far as your comment, you're damn right I am worried only for myself. Will you be paying my bills when I retire?
You wouldn't understand the point if it was made. No, I won't be paying your bills, but I hope you will be able to. Again, I know you won't understand what I mean.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
All I want to know is if our pensions are getting better, more money, fewer years, or is this just a freeze of benefits for 10 years?