UPS To Test Parcel Return Service Using USPS

kingOFchester

"
UPS will begin a pilot program to test Parcel Return Service (PRS), allowing customers to return items — originally shipped by UPS — to participating retailers using the Postal Service for pickup. Consumers will gain the convenience of USPS access points for a return pickup — collection boxes, Post Offices, and Free Package Pickup from home or business addresses.
USPS will consolidate the PRS packages at designated postal facilities, where they will be picked up by UPS for the final return leg of the trip back to the retailer.
Returned packages are a growing market segment, thanks to increased Internet and catalog sales and the recycling of small electronics. Market studies indicate that in order to maintain consumer loyalty and repeat business, the returns process must be easy.
The Postal Service developed PRS for merchants that experience a large number of returns and want to provide their customers with a convenient return solution, and for shipping consolidators or reverse logistics providers. PRS has shown steady growth, with more than 50 million packages shipped and more than $148 million in revenue since its launch in 2003.
“Working with UPS on this extension of PRS combines the strengths of both companies, leveraging the Postal Service’s unparalleled reach to every address in the United States,” said Jim Cochrane, vice president of Ground Shipping. “The added value of high visibility and the convenience of the most extensive network of drop-off and pick-up options available in the consumer market today make this service unbeatable.”
UPS will begin pilot programs using PRS in late February. Watch for PRS service talks and other information from Ground Shipping before the launch.
source: USPS "

Big Babooba

Last Friday I had a basic package addressed to the local Post Office. The clerk signed for it and I asked him to clarify his last name. He pointed to his name badge and said "Frank, just like the badge. My last name is none of your damn business. That's why we have badges. Anyways, we don't have to accept your damn packages". I felt like saying. "maybe your mommy never taught you your last name" - but I held my tongue. I wonder how Frank would react when the customers start bringing in PRS packages? I can picture the mushroom cloud now!:happy-very:

Last Friday I had a basic package addressed to the local Post Office. The clerk signed for it and I asked him to clarify his last name. He pointed to his name badge and said "Frank, just like the badge. My last name is none of your damn business. That's why we have badges. Anyways, we don't have to accept your damn packages". I felt like saying. "maybe your mommy never taught you your last name" - but I held my tongue. I wonder how Frank would react when the customers start bringing in PRS packages? I can picture the mushroom cloud now!:happy-very:
I have a feeling that Frank ain't gonna be a happy camper.

CFLBrown

Yes they do have to accept the damn packages. Tell Frank to 'man up' and say that in front of the Postmaster. He's obviously pissy about UPS coming to the dock.

Big Babooba

Yes they do have to accept the damn packages. Tell Frank to 'man up' and say that in front of the Postmaster. He's obviously pissy about UPS coming to the dock.

refused; and perhaps a msg for LP along the lines of customer is acting eraticaly/refusing to clarify sig. i hope you didnt just make up a name or used a first name...
It's a one man operation. Everything gets delivered to the counter. Frank was covering for the usual lady. I called the center and the supe told me just to put down Frank. He couldn't believe it either.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Geez,what's the cliche nowadays..........................going postal. LOL Ithink I'd be afraid to go in there. :wink2:

brownrodster

What's wrong with just typing in a first name ??? One route I know pretty much every name is a first name. I can't remember their last names and don't want to waste time asking.

Ms.PacMan

I hate delivering to those idiots at the post office!

They leave me standing out in -11 weather because they had 3 minutes until they had to punch in (all they have to do is push a button to let me in). So you're not human until you punch the clock :angry:?

You need to count the boxes in front of me. (This when I delivered all the Harry Potter books).

The invoice is wrong - we won't take it until you have your dispatcher fix the errors. We don't make the invoices. Don't argue with me just do your job, he said. RTS x 4, have a good day.

There is no name on the package (Grainger box for maintenace), NDA for postmaster, no name, they refuse to sign. RTS. RTS.

I'm guessing the postmaster one was the last straw because they unhappily sign for everything now.

BigBrownSanta

One of the guys at the post office I deliver to won't sign when he's on break. It's kinda funny, but I understand. I feel the same way when someone approaches me wanting their package when I'm at lunch. And BTW, I also do not work during my lunch hour.

Sometimes I have to wait awhile for someone to come to the door when I ring the buzzer. On the other hand, I won't go in to get a signature even if the door's wide open. I buzz and make them come to me.

A few times I have left and brought the packages back the next day. It's always fun putting a service cross on 40+ packages.

Big Babooba

I know what it is. Basic packages do not need a signature. It defeats the whole purpose of the basic pkg.
I was told that a Post Office employee had to sign for them. I just do what I'm told. If I had my way, Frank the Crank would be retrieving his packages from the roof.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I was told that a Post Office employee had to sign for them. I just do what I'm told. If I had my way, Frank the Crank would be retrieving his packages from the roof.
We also get sig's at our post offices for all pkgs including basics. Suppose it has something to do with the post office being a business and we have to get sig's at all businesses. :surprised:

kingOFchester

After a quick research, I see that most companies, including LLBEAN, charge a fee or the entire shipping cost to the customer.

How many returns do you drivers see now?
Wouldn't the new venture cut out a lot of teamsters? I see that UPS will be used for the "final leg" of the return trip. USPS will pick up and consolidate the return B4 a UPSer gets a hold of it. The up side that I can see is that customers may be more inclined to buy VIA web/mail if the return process is easier and cheaper...thus more volume in sales= more deliveries.