UPS Told Drivers to Stop Picking Up Packages From These 6 Retailers. It's a Critical Lesson in Managing Expectations

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS Told Drivers to Stop Picking Up Packages From These 6 Retailers. It's a Critical Lesson in Managing Expectations - Inc

The surge in online ordering has pushed the delivery networks to capacity.

Many years ago, I worked for FedEx. I was in sales, and I remember a manager telling our team that our biggest competitive challenge wasn't pricing or quality. No, the biggest challenge was that every time we walked into a business to talk about switching to FedEx, inevitably the thought that would go through their mind was that it would mean they were firing their UPS driver.

"But we really like Mike. He's been picking up and delivering packages here for as long as I can remember." Our manager was right, it was a real thing that would happen--and more often than you might think.

Now, however, if you're one of 6 retailers, Mike isn't stopping by today. The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday that UPS told its drivers to stop collecting deliveries from Nike, Gap, Macy's, L.L. Bean, Hot Topic, and Newegg when those companies reach their capacity.

badpal

It seems like over the years we have more and more ignored the small local shipper in favor of these big guys. Guess we still have customer service reps out in the remote places?