UPS tractor-trailers getting collision-avoidance technology

Returntosender

AVON, Ohio -- UPS, which has a fleet of 16,000 tractor-trailers, says it will install collision-mitigation and stability-control technologies on each 18-wheeler that enters its fleet, starting with 2,600 trucks this year.

The advanced braking system, made by Elyria-based Bendix Commercial Vehicle Systems, helps maintain a set distance between a UPS rig and the vehicle in front of it. Tractors fitted with the technology also automatically slow to avoid a collision.

"These are driver assistance technologies, not driver replacement technologies," said Fred Andersky, Bendix director of customer solutions – Controls Group. "Even with these technologies, the big rig driver is always in control. The system supports safe drivers and safe driving practices."

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/inde...ng_collision-avoidance_technology_photos.html

rod

Retired 22 years
How the hell can you stay back when the highways are bumper to bumper with traffic? Any space cushion you try to leave is immediately filled by some idiot

SCV good to go sir.

Should have developed magnetic force fields that repels any car that comes too close.
Should have also added a mechanism to release oil and banana peels from the rear when tailgated.
Should have programmed probes to follow the truck and shoot lasers at other cars.
Should have installed a megaphone like device that police, fire department, and ambulance vehicles have to help communicate in traffic.
Should have installed a cage full of rabid wolves that have been raised off the flesh of management and the orion team to be released in areas with lots of pedestrians.
Should installed spikes on the hub caps.

I really am wasting my talents as a driver, I should be heading and R&D for UPS.

MaceFremonti

I've been driving one of the new automatic 276xxx Macks with this system installed and barely even knew it was there since I do everything by the book! :rolleyes:

However, it does wake you up real quick if you lose focus! The first time it hit the brakes all by itself was definitely a WTF Was That? moment. If you have the cruise on it will downshift if needed as well as :censored2: the engine power, and make jake or service brake adjustments to keep your following distance where it needs to be.

Your speed also affects the various sensors and alerts. It does NOT give following distance alerts if you are in heavy traffic just creeping along or if you are putting a load on the door and the front of your tractor is close to other trailers etc...

All in all I actually like it. All of us "zone out" at times and it's ability to keep a safe following distance when you are rolling along with the cruise control on is definitely a good thing.

Most of our old schools guys DO NOT like them though!

We have some new KWs that have this system as well.

pharacyde

I've driven one of the new KWs with the system. It can be annoying. But as Mace said, it does a good job of alerting you if your mind wanders. So long as they use this tech as a driver assist and not a reporting device, I think it's a great thing. Some of the tin foil hat wearing guys at my hub think it's the beginning of big brother...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've driven one of the new KWs with the system. It can be annoying. But as Mace said, it does a good job of alerting you if your mind wanders. So long as they use this tech as a driver assist and not a reporting device, I think it's a great thing. Some of the tin foil hat wearing guys at my hub think it's the beginning of big brother...

...and those guys may very well be right....Telematics was touted as a vehicle monitoring system but it has quickly become a driver monitoring system....

MobileBA

We received this technology on our new freightliner sleeper rig. Its flat out dangerous. When we're on an interstate that allows us to drive 70 mph and some four wheeler cuts in front of us the truck will brake and sometimes hard. I just pray no one is tailgateing us.

trickpony1

the truck will brake and sometimes hard. I just pray no one is tailgateing us.

I would be more worried about a jackknife situation on wet roads because the braking action starts on the rear most axle and moves forward.

If the roads are wet that rearmost axle could hydroplane around you.

But what could I possibly know.......

MaceFremonti

I would be more worried about a jackknife situation on wet roads because the braking action starts on the rear most axle and moves forward.

If the roads are wet that rearmost axle could hydroplane around you.

But what could I possibly know.......

They only do that if you have the cruise on. I believe that the only time it applies the brakes when the cruise isn't on is when it calculates that a collision is imminent. You shouldn't be running cruise in heavy rain or snow to begin with.

livin the dream

Should have developed magnetic force fields that repels any car that comes too close.
Should have also added a mechanism to release oil and banana peels from the rear when tailgated.
Should have programmed probes to follow the truck and shoot lasers at other cars.
Should have installed a megaphone like device that police, fire department, and ambulance vehicles have to help communicate in traffic.
Should have installed a cage full of rabid wolves that have been raised off the flesh of management and the orion team to be released in areas with lots of pedestrians.
Should installed spikes on the hub caps.

I really am wasting my talents as a driver, I should be heading and R&D for UPS.

this had me laughing