UPS Training and the "Real World" of Day to Day Life at UPS

Integrity

Binge Poster
The training offered at UPS is fairly to very good for most work groups.

The sad fact is that there are many instances at UPS where individuals are expected to not follow the training that they receive.

Often the very employees who want to follow the training are viewed as little more than slackers or trouble makers.

I think it would make a decent discussion thread to throw out any training that UPSers receive yet are expected to ignore that come to mind.

I will start with the first 2.

UPSers are taught to maintain adequate egress and yet they are expected to not maintain adequate egress by management. Unless there are visitors or an audit.

UPSers are taught to park legally and yet illegal parking is an expected and accepted way of life, until something bad happens.

What UPS training have you received that in "the real world" of day to day life at UPS you are expected and it is accepted for you to ignore?

Sincerely,
I

Last edited:

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
"until something bad happens".

I like to answer you but I am to worried about my future health care costs.Speaking of something bad happening !

"What UPS training have you received that in "the real world" of day to day life at UPS you are expected and it is accepted for you to ignore?"

Supervisors doing bargaining unit work . We are expected to ignore as we go home and they finish the work.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I was never taught to park legally. Just park where u can and make yourself as visible as possible.

Integrity

Binge Poster
"until something bad happens".

I like to answer you but I am to worried about my future health care costs.Speaking of something bad happening !

"What UPS training have you received that in "the real world" of day to day life at UPS you are expected and it is accepted for you to ignore?"

Supervisors doing bargaining unit work . We are expected to ignore as we go home and they finish the work.
PT Stewie,

What training have you received regarding supervisors doing bargaining unit work?

Who provided this training?

Please don't be offended by my questions I am just trying to further the discussion.

I in no way would think less of you based upon the questions you choose to answer or not on an online discussion forum.

I always enjoy your input.

Sincerely,
I

stoni24

It is impossible to follow the 8 keys of lifting/lowering on a preload belt or a blown out package car.

UPS Preloader

Re: UPS Training and the "Real World" of Day to Day Life at UPS

It is impossible to follow the 8 keys of lifting/lowering on a preload belt or a blown out package car.

That's only if you choose not to follow them. I follow them everyday regardless of whether or not the truck is blown out. Safety is what you make of it. I choose to work safely because I do not want to get hurt. I lift packages properly and if egress issues arise I let management know that I need help otherwise I'm going to have to stop the belt.

stoni24

That's only if you choose not to follow them. I follow them everyday regardless of whether or not the truck is blown out. Safety is what you make of it. I choose to work safely because I do not want to get hurt. I lift packages properly and if egress issues arise I let management know that I need help otherwise I'm going to have to stop the belt.
glad I don't load behind u, constantly pulling all the crap u miss. I assume ur able to always "face the flow" of the belt as well? While scanning the floor for straps and bands.

Justaname

glad I don't load behind u, constantly pulling all the crap u miss. I assume ur able to always "face the flow" of the belt as well? While scanning the floor for straps and bands.
Like he said, he'll stop the belt. I follow the methods and stop the belt if need be.

UPS Preloader

If you were behind me, you would realize that I miss very few packages and that I am one of the better preloaders in our building. I do face the flow most of the time and I do scan the floor for straps, bands, and any packages that may have fallen of the belt. The key is to work the belt and not let the belt work you and most importantly to know your limits.

air_dr

Integrity,

Last August I posted a long reply to one of your threads which included this paragraph which was basically my main point...

"What I think this and your other two threads which I mention fail to take into consideration is what I believe is the imposibility, in practical terms, of coming up with a thorough users' manual for life which would effectively cover every circumstance. Real life is just too complicated and nuanced. Furthermore, people who make the rules are sometimes simply out of touch with the reality of some situation. It's just the way it is."

You never replied. Perhaps you never saw the post. What I said then is what I feel about most of the issues you have been bringing up, and if you care to reply, I would be interested in your reaction.

Integrity

Binge Poster

UPS Preloader,

I commend you.

Some at UPS are too afraid and they have given up their power to choose.

Judge the or call them what you want but they do exist.

I have yet to eyewitness any preloader shut a belt off without direction from management.

I have seen mountains of packages stacked in the sort aisle and piles of packages in various locations in various facilities.

I believe you and I commend you for your integrity by which you work.

Sincerely,
I

stoni24

Like he said, he'll stop the belt. I follow the methods and stop the belt if need be.
ok one more and I'll quit. When u stop the belt do u....push the stop button, flip the latch down to secure it, then test the start button to make sure it will not come on? If u don't ur an unsafe worker.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integrity,

Last August I posted a long reply to one of your threads which included this paragraph which was basically my main point...

"What I think this and your other two threads which I mention fail to take into consideration is what I believe is the imposibility, in practical terms, of coming up with a thorough users' manual for life which would effectively cover every circumstance. Real life is just too complicated and nuanced. Furthermore, people who make the rules are sometimes simply out of touch with the reality of some situation. It's just the way it is."

You never replied. Perhaps you never saw the post. What I said then is what I feel about most of the issues you have been bringing up, and if you care to reply, I would be interested in your reaction.
air_dr,

I'm not sure of your question.

It sounds like I would like to respond this.

Can you reference the post that your talking about or ask a direct question or clarify what you want me to respond to?

I have hope that anything can change.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
ok one more and I'll quit. When u stop the belt do u....push the stop button, flip the latch down to secure it, then test the start button to make sure it will not come on? If u don't ur an unsafe worker.
kinrossy,

Actually you have described the procedure for conveyor securing.

You don't have to secure a conveyor every time you shut it off.

Only if you are going to break a jam, move a diverter, or walk on the conveyor.

Shutting off a conveyor without securing does not make anyone an unsafe worker if securing the conveyor is not required.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster

I was never taught to park legally. Just park where u can and make yourself as visible as possible.
Brownslave688,

You were never taught to follow traffic and vehicle laws?

That is very reassuring for the safety of the public and integrity of the training you received.

Sincerely,
I

UPS Preloader

UPS Preloader,

I commend you.

Some at UPS are too afraid and they have given up their power to choose.

Judge the or call them what you want but they do exist.

I have yet to eyewitness any preloader shut a belt off without direction from management.

I have seen mountains of packages stacked in the sort aisle and piles of packages in various locations in various facilities.

I believe you and I commend you for your integrity by which you work.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity, I thank you for your kind words, but like others I sometime question your motives. You throw a lot on the table, but I've yet to see where you practice what you preach. Sometimes I respect you, sometimes I think your just a drama queen. I'm still trying to figure it out. Anyway, I don't shut the belt often, but when I do they ussually don't bother me. They used to, but they backed off after telling the PT Sup several times if you have a problem with me shutting the belt off I'd like to have a meeting upstairs with my Steward present to discuss what I believed to be a safety issue. Hasn't been a problem since.

UPS Preloader

If I were securing the belt to break a jam, move a diverter, or walk on ther belt I would do all of that, but all am doing is stopping it.