UPS tries a new twist on surge pricing, putting more burden on retailers

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS tries a new twist on surge pricing, putting more burden on retailers- Marketwatch

Delivery giant asking retailers to help pay for extra costs when shipments miss forecasts

United Parcel Service Inc. wants to get paid for packages it never delivers.

The company is starting to ask major retailers to help pay for extra workers and surplus space on trucks when a retailer fails to ship as many packages as planned during peak periods, UPS executives say.

The new charges could also apply if a retailer’s forecast veers off course in other ways, like if the sizes of boxes shipped are significantly mismatched from what was expected.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS tries a new twist on surge pricing, putting more burden on retailers- Marketwatch

Delivery giant asking retailers to help pay for extra costs when shipments miss forecasts

The company is starting to ask major retailers to help pay for extra workers and surplus space on trucks when a retailer fails to ship as many packages as planned during peak periods, UPS executives say.

The new charges could also apply if a retailer’s forecast veers off course in other ways, like if the sizes of boxes shipped are significantly mismatched from what was expected.
Interesting!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
And what if the retailer under forecasts, do we turn their volume away or take it? Resulting in service failures thatvthe company can then blame on UPS for "not being ready". It's all a blame game, UPS wants to hedge their bets in case something goes wrong

Brownsfan

Holy crap. Shipping is so expensive. I tried to send a 7 pound box to New York. The dimensional weight for the pkg was 41 pounds and a whopping $78 dollars. Unbelievable. Kinda like our wages. Lol.

rod

Retired 22 years

That should go over like a fart in church.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yeah ... that's what the article was about.

Suppose UPS were in the heating fuel business. Customer estimates that they will need to use 1000 gallons of heating fuel this winter and the Company orders accordingly; however, it turns out to be a mild winter, and they only use 750 gallons. Using the above logic, UPS sends a bill to the customer for the 250 gallons of unused heating fuel.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Suppose UPS were in the heating fuel business. Customer estimates that they will need to use 1000 gallons of heating fuel this winter and the Company orders accordingly; however, it turns out to be a mild winter, and they only use 750 gallons. Using the above logic, UPS sends a bill to the customer for the 250 gallons of unused heating fuel.
Yeah?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
The sense of entitlement in the Ivory Tower is perhaps much bigger than we thought.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The sense of entitlement in the Ivory Tower is perhaps much bigger than we thought.

Trip

I am not allowed in the Invite thread----I guess my unique brand of tough love was unwarranted---but would like to offer you both my support and some advice on your current situation.

It is essential that you try to include him as much as possible in your family's daily activities.
It sounds as though he is a proud man who is pissed off that he has lost his independence.

If there are other family members in your area, try to get them to give you and your family a break every now and then by offering to watch him while you guys go out and spend some time by yourselves.

Take this time to get his affairs in order. He will need a Power of Attorney and you need to work now to protect as many of his assets as possible. Medicaid has a 5 year look back and any transfers done within that time frame will be looked upon unfavorably.

My father was in failing health and neither my brother were able (or wanted) to provide the care that he needed so we placed him in a nursing home. The care provided was acceptable but by no means exemplary. He was dead within a year.

This will either bring your family closer together or tear it apart.