UPS union contract extended to allow negotiators to reach new deal

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS union contract extended to allow negotiators to reach new deal - Great Falls Tribune

National union negotiators and United Parcel Service Inc. have agreed to an “indefinite extension” of their current contract while they work on resolving some issues rejected by local members of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters in a recent vote.

A representative from UPS said the extension will allow negotiators to hammer out the the finer points of the next five-year contract, but the president of the Teamsters Local 89 blasted the move.

“... The International Union has essentially given away the members’ right to strike,” Teamsters Local 89 President Fred Z wrote on the union’s website Saturday. “This seriously degrades the leverage needed to force UPS to finally agree to a fair contract that addresses the concerns of its workers.”

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The members in the Southwest are also against the extension. Hoffa and Hall are corporate sellouts!

I voted no but an extension is defiantly necessary.

Realistically there just isn't time to get changes made and voted on.

No reason to scare the customers either.

stink219

The Teamsters Union and UPS have agreed to an extension of the current UPS National Master Agreement and all Supplements, Riders and Addenda. The extension does not have a specific end date, but can be terminated by either side with a 30-day notice.
This means that all of the current Agreements will remain in place until the Supplements that did not receive a majority of votes have been re-voted and agreed to. Any increases in wages, pensions and health and welfare contributions that were agreed to in the new National Master Agreement will be made retroactively to August 1, 2013 but will not take effect until the Supplements have been re-voted and agreed to.
In addition, UPS has agreed not to implement the increase in retiree contributions to retiree health insurance on August 1, 2013 as set forth in letters that were sent out to Retirees in December of 2012.

oldupsman

Do you think people can see through the TDU BS? God I hope so.
You worry about TDU way too much Stink. I've always read their stuff but they are what they are. A thorn in the IBT's side too keep the
IBT a bit honest. And sometimes when TDU goes off the deep end it gives me a chuckle. But you really don't have to worry about people
blindly following TDU like their the gospel.

The Teamsters Union and UPS have agreed to an extension of the current UPS National Master Agreement and all Supplements, Riders and Addenda. The extension does not have a specific end date, but can be terminated by either side with a 30-day notice.
This means that all of the current Agreements will remain in place until the Supplements that did not receive a majority of votes have been re-voted and agreed to. Any increases in wages, pensions and health and welfare contributions that were agreed to in the new National Master Agreement will be made retroactively to August 1, 2013 but will not take effect until the Supplements have been re-voted and agreed to.
In addition, UPS has agreed not to implement the increase in retiree contributions to retiree health insurance on August 1, 2013 as set forth in letters that were sent out to Retirees in December of 2012.

We all know what this is about Stink. It's all about losing the UPS health care. You know it, I know it, the whole freakin world knows it. If the IBT and UPS wants
the supplements passed all they need to do is give back everybody UPS health care. With the same conditions as before. No cost for employees and $50 a month
for retirees. Boom! All 17 supplements passed tomorrow. Hell Stink, I'll even be a nice guy and accept $100 a month for retirees. And that my friend is a small price for UPS to
pay for 5 years of labor peace.

rpoz11

Oldupsman, it would be nice to see that happen with the HC, but it wont play out that way.
Costs.
What I think will happen is is that the company will have to agree to raise wages ; that would be a start to cover costs not foreseen.
Raise financial support of their liable contributions; which may fall under some scrutiny in the 4'th & 5'th years.

The one sticking pointe I see is asking us to contribute monies from pension contributions in the event of unforeseen spikes in HC costs.

It bothers me that we voted down the supplements, yet I feel our voices of concern will not be heard nor used during these negotiations.

That negotiation extension is buy out to prevent customer loss based upon our supplement rejections.

teamster 804

TDU wants a strike so ups is wrecked and the teamsters loose more dues paying members. They want to wreck the union and my livelyhood and yours.
Thank god your not my steward "UPS wrecked"your kidding me right.You must be from one of those states that push the contract through every couple of years.Ups dangles out a nickel and you jump.This company treats all of its employees including lower level management like garbage,they deserve nothing.Hoffa and Hall sold us out what kind of leverage does anyone have now.You give UPS unlimited extension you wonder what side are they on.It is pathetic, this company makes millions on our back treats us like slaves with paychecks and the Teamsters do them a favor.

Thank god your not my steward "UPS wrecked"your kidding me right.You must be from one of those states that push the contract through every couple of years.Ups dangles out a nickel and you jump.This company treats all of its employees including lower level management like garbage,they deserve nothing.Hoffa and Hall sold us out what kind of leverage does anyone have now.You give UPS unlimited extension you wonder what side are they on.It is pathetic, this company makes millions on our back treats us like slaves with paychecks and the Teamsters do them a favor.
Ok you got me there. Lol. What are you going to tell your mom now.

stink219

You give UPS unlimited extension you wonder what side are they on.
The "indefinite extension" was in quotes. But in the OP it doesn't say who quoted it. Only person that made a statement in the OP was Suckerman. Did he say it? Indefinite wasn't on the IBT site. How can you put a finalization date when you never had an initial meeting for the changes? Someone wants to play big boy poppie pants. We can see through Flip-Flop Fred!

oldupsman

Oldupsman, it would be nice to see that happen with the HC, but it wont play out that way.
Costs.
What I think will happen is is that the company will have to agree to raise wages ; that would be a start to cover costs not foreseen.
Raise financial support of their liable contributions; which may fall under some scrutiny in the 4'th & 5'th years.

The one sticking pointe I see is asking us to contribute monies from pension contributions in the event of unforeseen spikes in HC costs.

It bothers me that we voted down the supplements, yet I feel our voices of concern will not be heard nor used during these negotiations.

That negotiation extension is buy out to prevent customer loss based upon our supplement rejections.

But now you're talking about renegotiating the master. Neither side wants anything to do with that. There's a simple fix for
all 17 of these supplements. And both sides know what it is.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

But now you're talking about renegotiating the master. Neither side wants anything to do with that. There's a simple fix for
all 17 of these supplements. And both sides know what it is.

If you are thinking healthcare you are mistaken. The Upstate/West NY supplement was rejected and it had nothing to do with healthcare as ours remained unchanged.

oldupsman

If you are thinking healthcare you are mistaken. The Upstate/West NY supplement was rejected and it had nothing to do with healthcare as ours remained unchanged.

I believe that's my point. They rejected the supplement because they wanted the UPS health care plan because it's a superior plan to the one
you have now. Even though you might be happy with your plan there are many others who aren't.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I believe that's my point. They rejected the supplement because they wanted the UPS health care plan because it's a superior plan to the oneyou have now. Even though you might be happy with your plan there are many others who aren't.

The UPS health care plan was never an option for us or any other local which already has a Teamster plan in the first place. UPS wants to get rid of healthcare altogether----why in the world would they agree to take on more insureds?

oldupsman

The UPS health care plan was never an option for us or any other local which already has a Teamster plan in the first place. UPS wants to get rid of healthcare altogether----why in the world would they agree to take on more insureds?

To insure labor peace. Like I said, a small price to pay.

oldupsman

It's not going to happen. UPS will sweeten the pot with wage increases and/or a bonus but they will not take back healthcare.

Well we disagree. And we won't know who's right until it all plays out. But I can tell you this. I keep in touch with a local
official who is very well informed regarding our supplement. The bottom line is we want our UPS health care back. That's it. They can offer 10
bucks an hour more. Doesn't matter. One thing and one thing only gets this supplement passed. Will they stick to their guns? We'll see. But talking
to all the rank and file in the area everybody is on the same page. And like I've said before, I don't think we're alone, not by a long shot.