UPS union jobs/hours cut during 2008-2009 recession?

SortSortSort

Folks that worked through the last recession, did UPS cut union jobs or significantly cut hours around 2009? Hiring freeze?

I found some articles that the cut admin/office positions during that time, but didn't see any info on union positions.

I know we're crazy busy now as delivery is the only option for many businesses, but am wondering about 2-6 months down the road.

Thanks.

542thruNthru

Folks that worked through the last recession, did UPS cut union jobs or significantly cut hours around 2009? Hiring freeze?

I found some articles that the cut admin/office positions during that time, but didn't see any info on union positions.

I know we're crazy busy now as delivery is the only option for many businesses, but am wondering about 2-6 months down the road.

Thanks.

Depended on the area. Lots of layoffs in some areas and hiring freezes. There was a thread about it a while back.
Life at Brown during the 08 market crash

So areas didn't see much change and some saw a lot.

robot

Has A Large Member
I was a full time feeder driver at the time. The bottom 10% of us were given the choice of going back to package car as swing drivers because we lost our package car seniority. Or go work 8 hours hub. This lasted about a year or so

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
There was a hiring freeze at that time but that was primarily for hourlies trying to go in to management.

1C2386CD-723E-417D-9EA6-F19AFBA2A847.gif

Post of the day

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Thanks.
At one point we lost 14 or 15 drivers and hadn’t replaced a single one out of about 70.

Thanks.
We didn't put on anybody full time here for almost 5 years after that

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We had a ton of accidents because the old timers were so used to their "area" that when it expanded they were not as knowledgeable and hit a ton of things.
This was when everything changed. We used to go out with 58-60 routes every single day. Rural routes went out with the exact same area every single day. Monday’s and Friday light wednesday heavy.