UPS UNION

UPS MAN Dallas TX

My local union says no where in contact book does it say that a coverage driver can bump another driver. So basically if I have 3 years driving coverage and someone else has 1 year I can’t bump them off a route. Is that right? Please explain

542thruNthru

My local union says no where in contact book does it say that a coverage driver can bump another driver. So basically if I have 3 years driving coverage and someone else has 1 year I can’t bump them off a route. Is that right? Please explain
I don't see it in Article 49.7. Though I do see this in the seniority article.
Screenshot_20210322-190148_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

bigblu 2 you

I would think your job has to be cut or you have been bumped, then you can exercise your bump based on seniority. That’s a “bid coverage driver” and not a “on call” driver just covering routes.

542thruNthru

I'm assuming you're asking if you can bump someone off a better route not bump someone so you can get your 8 hours.

charm299

It use to be seniority could bump anybody, now we can only bump another cover driver if he is covering a bid route. Although it does say some where in the contract you don’t get to choose unless a past practic has been established.

barnyard

KTM rider
There is not enough info in the above post to answer definitively. I suspect that the union rep that the OP spoke to does know the whole story and is probably answering correctly and the OP is unhappy with the answer.

Wah, wah.

ManInBrown

You can’t bump a bid driver off their route if you are a cover driver with more seniority. It’s their route. You can bump another cover driver off a route you would rather cover if you have more seniority.

WeAreAllGoingToMakeIt

You can't bump another driver that has already been assigned a route for that day. You can only bump the LEAST senior driver if he/she are working and you aren't.

ManInBrown

You can't bump another driver that has already been assigned a route for that day. You can only bump the LEAST senior driver if he/she are working and you aren't.
Wrong. Has nothing to do with if someone was already assigned a route. No one has to show up thirty minutes early to jockey for a route with all the kiss :censored2: and nail biters. Before I got my bid route, I used to walk in two minutes before the start time, stroll over to the board, and bump.

You cannot bump a bid driver, whether you have more seniority or not. It is their route. You can bump another cover driver, off a route they are covering, if you have more seniority.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Wrong. Has nothing to do with if someone was already assigned a route. No one has to show up thirty minutes early to jockey for a route with all the kiss * and nail biters. Before I got my bid route, I used to walk in two minutes before the start time, stroll over to the board, and bump.

You cannot bump a bid driver, whether you have more seniority or not. It is their route. You can bump another cover driver, off a route they are covering, if you have more seniority.
Yes sir! They tried to pull that crap on me once
“nope, you can’t bump it’s passed 8:30”
Me: start time is 9, it’s now 8:55, and you are not allowing me to bump?
“Yes, it’s too late”
Me: ok, I’ll go get stew
2 minutes later the poor rookie comes to swap boards with me “DUDE wtf man why are you messing with me”
Lol

ManInBrown

Yes sir! They tried to pull that crap on me once
“nope, you can’t bump it’s passed 8:30”
Me: start time is 9, it’s now 8:55, and you are not allowing me to bump?
“Yes, it’s too late”
Me: ok, I’ll go get stew
2 minutes later the poor rookie comes to swap boards with me “DUDE wtf man why are you messing with me”
Lol
Exactly, they will try it to see if they can get away with it. It’s no ones responsibility to show up 30 minutes before the scheduled start time to jockey for a prime route. That’s not the way it works. That’s why all the kiss asses show up at 8am when the start time is 9am. To jockey for a prime route, and to help load the truck for free and search for misloads.