Ups vs. FedEx ground "hd"

Just a new guy posting in here. I've been reading these posts for a while. I realize ups drivers get better pay and benefits overall but I wanted to discuss the differences. Yes Fedex ground isn't Union. And we do things differently. I leave my bulkhead door open all day. I leave my truck running at MOST stops, not all. I do have bulk stops and businesses. Also I deliver in a high traffic, heavy populated area. Many apartments and cross over major freeways and highways not to mention in and out of a very busy street all day. Average at least 200 packages plus and about 170 stops plus. It does get over 200 stops fairly often. I average 25 stops per hour or so. I'm hustling but not going crazy and sprinting to each stop. So my question is what's the difference in pay. I get 875 a week and quite often I'm paid per stop on heavy days. Also I am paid a 300 dollar bonus at the end of every month in lieu of benefits. This year I am predicting close to 60k a year. Let me know all of your opinions and thoughts please and thanks.

bacha29

875 a week is quite good compared to what the vast majority of drivers who work for Ground contractors get which is around 600-700. But I'll tell you this right now your body especially your knees , hip joints and shoulders will not take that kind of a beating for an extended period of time and that when the absence of a health care plan, disability plan and pension plan comes into focus. Without having those safeguards in place when your body quits on you , you will not be retired. You'll simply be disposed of and no employer is going to want some guy whose ability just to walk is totally dependent on titanium metal hip and or knee joints. They won't take the risk. One of the other contractors who posts here regularly (IWBF) makes it clear to new hires that what he has to offer is transitional employment, the job between jobs. Just something to tide them over until their life's employment comes along. You should think along those lines as well. I was a 23 year single route Ground contractor and the net result was the onset of severe bi lateral rheumatoid arthritis requiring total replacement of both hip joints. Something along those lines is almost quaranteed to happen to you as long you go on killing yourself out there.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
875 a week is quite good compared to what the vast majority of drivers who work for Ground contractors get which is around 600-700. But I'll tell you this right now your body especially your knees , hip joints and shoulders will not take that kind of a beating for an extended period of time and that when the absence of a health care plan, disability plan and pension plan comes into focus. Without having those safeguards in place when your body quits on you , you will not be retired. You'll simply be disposed of and no employer is going to want some guy whose ability just to walk is totally dependent on titanium metal hip and or knee joints. They won't take the risk. One of the other contractors who posts here regularly (IWBF) makes it clear to new hires that what he has to offer is transitional employment, the job between jobs. Just something to tide them over until their life's employment comes along. You should think along those lines as well. I was a 23 year single route Ground contractor and the net result was the onset of severe bi lateral rheumatoid arthritis requiring total replacement of both hip joints. Something along those lines is almost quaranteed to happen to you as long you go on killing yourself out there.

Not always

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
A UPS driver starts at $18.75 an hour, you get incremental raises and after four years you'll be making around $36 an hour (give or take cost-of-living adjustments in different areas)

FedexCares

Those are some of the highest compensation rates I have personally seen for ground drivers. I would consider yourself pretty lucky you seem to work for a decent contractor.

bacha29

60K this year. That's if you live long enough. Fortunately for you however it appears that you do have decent employer because he's giving you just about everything the route makes. Again it all will depend on how long your body can take the beating. It's a subtle beating. the pain level will slowly increase until you cross that threshold of pain every person has.

BootsOnTarmac

Wow, Mrfedexman averages a stop every 2.4 minutes. Parking your truck, getting packages and walking them to the recipient, personal contact with the recipient, walking back to the truck, driving to the next stop. I am amazed what you guys and gals get done in a day. I'm not a courier. I'm at the ramp. I believe eventually you will be popping ibuprofen like candy. You may be able to do it now, but eventually you may end up as a scooter shopper at walmart.

BootsOnTarmac

"I leave my truck running at MOST stops"

Leaving a vehicle running when you are not in control of the vehicle is about as dumb as it gets, and against policy.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Op, if you're that fast why not try being a peak driver for ups ???

Ive seen a few young guns in my barn and ask them the same thing if they're boasting on the same SPH

Now try doing it the UPS~way first with your current route. I E shutting the bulkhead, turning off the engine at the delivery points, securing the vehile at apartment stops, etc... if u can maintain that SPH, then go for brown.

I am too old to start over there, so i won't even try...

I understand it would take longer doing it the UPS way. However we are not paid per hour so speed is a big factor. I am not speeding around or driving insanely either. Just a lot of quick jogging and a really good load of the truck in the morning. UPS has all the benefits and retirement options which is a huge factor! But I have heard drivers are required to be package handlers for a long time before becoming drivers.

baklava

I understand it would take longer doing it the UPS way. However we are not paid per hour so speed is a big factor. I am not speeding around or driving insanely either. Just a lot of quick jogging and a really good load of the truck in the morning. UPS has all the benefits and retirement options which is a huge factor! But I have heard drivers are required to be package handlers for a long time before becoming drivers.

I'm going to gross about $110K this year. Do you think I regret the wait?

Wow that is crazy. Is that just with a ton of OT or what? Because 36 per hour is about 74800 annually based on a 52 week year. Someone previously stated that the 36 per hour is what you top out at after 4 years...

baklava

Wow that is crazy. Is that just with a ton of OT or what? Because 36 per hour is about 74800 annually based on a 52 week year. Someone previously stated that the 36 per hour is what you top out at after 4 years...

Yes, a lot of OT, I'm usually around 55 hrs a week.