UPS What a waste of time

jb5g

I starting working at ups not to long ago, I was so excited. the one week training is a waste, the only thing that I was able to use out of it was the 8 keys and the 5 keys, they rush you on the rest of it. I started in small sort, they want you to bag 400 packages an hour the 1st week. the volume was not there and they don't take under consideration the time it takes you to add bags to the rack. After 3 hours you get a 10 minute brake, it takes you 4-5 minutes to get to the closest rest room. At the end of the night once you are done with your work, they moved you to help put on the slow ones and on the way out you have to carry bags to othe PD'S. I am so disappointted. They work you so hard an d pay you so litte. Once the Union fees come out is like working a free day out of the week.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
okay ill be "that guy"

mcdonalds is always hiring.

thats the way it is at ups. its not for everyone. i would like to say it gets better with time, but i would be lying to you. if your having doubts now get out before you make any money here. you will be happier.
good luck.

jb5g

Yes I know McDonalds is always hiring. I am trying to give it a shot. I have heard good things about the company but come on.

jb5g

What is really bothering me is that the sorter puts 5-6 boxes in the bins and then he uses his phone to text for 10-15 minutes, I let my sup know and he said oh yeah we know, he has been here for 10 years and we can't tocuh him, he has been fired 3 times already and in the mean time I am not gettting the volume that I need to bag 400 pckgs and hour

Working for UPS is not working for beauty salon, what were you expecting, sit down on a chair with a mirror infront, we all started that way from the bottom up, just be patience and the reward will come.

tritese

tritese
they can't do anything to you about production. work safe and do your best. that is all they can ask. and as said before, be happy you got small sort and not unload/load.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Small sort :

My definition - "Small sort is a sinking ship - women and children go first"

That's what small sort is - the place where those who can't make it in the unload, the Primary, etc go. Mostly women and old men.

You got on the sinking ship, by far the easiest part of UPS, and still can't hang LOL

Please, don't stick around. Go work at McDonalds and flip burgers for your $8.50. Last thing small sort needs is another woman! ;D

chev

Nightcrawler
I starting working at ups not to long ago, I was so excited. the one week training is a waste, the only thing that I was able to use out of it was the 8 keys and the 5 keys, they rush you on the rest of it. I started in small sort, they want you to bag 400 packages an hour the 1st week. the volume was not there and they don't take under consideration the time it takes you to add bags to the rack. After 3 hours you get a 10 minute brake, it takes you 4-5 minutes to get to the closest rest room. At the end of the night once you are done with your work, they moved you to help put on the slow ones and on the way out you have to carry bags to other PD'S. I am so disappointed. They work you so hard and pay you so little. Once the Union fees come out is like working a free day out of the week.

Just hang in there. You will thank yourself one day. Trust me. It is well worth the aggravation now in exchange for a well paying job with excellent benefits in the future. Dude, the weekly dues will be over before you know it. Don't you want to be making $30+ an hour some day. (Well, most of us are around $28 right now. By the time you are driving it will be 30+) That's what us drivers make bud. Patience young grasshopper. :wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When you come to work this morning, I want you to turn around when you walk in the door and look up. You will see a red sign which says "Exit". Please feel free to use this at any point.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
im sure we all thought the same as jb5g when we all started here!!! JB this is not raking leaves at Nana's house, you won't get a pat on the back with a hug and some hot cocoa when your done!! This job won't start you off at 50 k cause you may be some sort of college boy!! This job is the school of hard knox like your Grampah went to!! YOU work hard all day/nite keep your mouth shut at the proper times and learn something!! wipe the snot off your nose and dig in!!! eventually thing$$$ will get better! It Don't come over a months or years stay. If you expect it to,UPS is no place for you!! Pull up your boot straps ,stop your whining talk to some senior people in your group for advice,but don't go there crying I want I want I want!!! Please start a fresh new attitude and re port back here with your progress!! Most of us here on the B.C are a friendly helping bunch who can help you with just about all your questions,we have all been there and done almost every job here from unloaders to pilots!!! remember what the Roman said to Ben Hurr ""row well live long"" just kidding its not that bad here!! good luck kid!!

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
yes talk with the people that have been in it for a while. they will tell you the same thing. its not for everyone. but hang in there long enough and it pays off. it seems like forever but it pays off in the end.

LiL"Comet"

Small sort :

My definition - "Small sort is a sinking ship - women and children go first"

That's what small sort is - the place where those who can't make it in the unload, the Primary, etc go. Mostly women and old men.

You got on the sinking ship, by far the easiest part of UPS, and still can't hang LOL

Please, don't stick around. Go work at McDonalds and flip burgers for your $8.50. Last thing small sort needs is another woman! ;D

Easy there killer there's a lot of women that can work circles around men. :peaceful:

BrownIsUgly30

Isn't small sort the easiest area in a hub? lol Anyhow, if you can't handle "that" job then UPS isn't for you jb5g. :sad-little: you think small sort is hard, go start in load, people quit left and right there because "its not for them." Didn't they learn anything from there first week of training? :surprised: