UPS, Without the Pay

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Given the recent push for productivity, along with a willingness to disregard safety at the expense of more stops per hour, it's time to re-assess how we stack-up with UPS. With every passing day, FedEx is asking for more, and without a commensurate raise in pay.

While we generally don't work as hard as UPS drivers do, the gap is closing fast, perhaps by design as FedEx realizes that a union is probably on the horizon. I've been talking with courier friends in other regions, and it's the same everywhere....way over on 195's and push, push, push to cut gap times, improve leave building times and reduce errors. It's always been bad, but it's rapidly becoming Genghis Khan style throughout the land.

It's time to fight back people. Play the game, but beat them by using their own policies against them. Request check rides constantly, take your sick days, and do your best to gum-up the operation without calling attention to yourself. It's easy to do...and they deserve some payback. Be smart.

quadro

Given the recent push for productivity, along with a willingness to disregard safety at the expense of more stops per hour, it's time to re-assess how we stack-up with UPS. With every passing day, FedEx is asking for more, and without a commensurate raise in pay.

While we generally don't work as hard as UPS drivers do, the gap is closing fast, perhaps by design as FedEx realizes that a union is probably on the horizon. I've been talking with courier friends in other regions, and it's the same everywhere....way over on 195's and push, push, push to cut gap times, improve leave building times and reduce errors. It's always been bad, but it's rapidly becoming Genghis Khan style throughout the land.

It's time to fight back people. Play the game, but beat them by using their own policies against them. Request check rides constantly, take your sick days, and do your best to gum-up the operation without calling attention to yourself. It's easy to do...and they deserve some payback. Be smart.
You can request checkrides all you want, your manager doesn't have to do them just because you request them. And go ahead and call in sick. Nothing like cutting off your nose to spite your face. "I'm going to give up a day's pay. That'll show 'em." And then if you really do get sick "dang, I wish I hadn't called in sick when I wasn't, now my attendance is below satisfactory."

Hopefully the only people taking your advice aren't cut out to be couriers anyway.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You can request checkrides all you want, your manager doesn't have to do them just because you request them. And go ahead and call in sick. Nothing like cutting off your nose to spite your face. "I'm going to give up a day's pay. That'll show 'em." And then if you really do get sick "dang, I wish I hadn't called in sick when I wasn't, now my attendance is below satisfactory."

Hopefully the only people taking your advice aren't cut out to be couriers anyway.

If you are being ridden like a horse with constant harassment over gap times and the like when you are 20 to 30% over on your 195, you do have the right to request a checkride whenever you wish. I don't have policy in front of me, but I'll get to it ASAP. Management might not have to comply, but again, if you are going out way over 195 every day, aren't they asking you to be unsafe too?

Calling-in sick strategically can be very valuable, and if you do it smart, it isn't cutting-off your nose to spite your face. If you have a qualifying FMLA condition, sick children and/or child care issues, you can take the day off without pay and not have it held against your attendance. Just make sure you have an MD do the paperwork and have supporting documentation.

I know you're a doormat, but some of us aren't. If they've been screwing me over and over I will eventually find a way to get even. I no longer have perfect attendance and no longer care if I'm a 7 because it's really irrelevant given the big picture. If I know a lot of people are off already, that it's going to be heavy, and if the weather is bad, I will stick it to them as best I can by not being there. It takes 2 people to cover my route when I'm not there, so the effect is magnified.

Suck-ups and doormats get what they deserve, and that is continued abuse. Do nothing, and the abuse continues. Do something, and maybe it doesn't. If it does, at least you tried.

quadro

If you are being ridden like a horse with constant harassment over gap times and the like when you are 20 to 30% over on your 195, you do have the right to request a checkride whenever you wish. I don't have policy in front of me, but I'll get to it ASAP. Management might not have to comply, but again, if you are going out way over 195 every day, aren't they asking you to be unsafe too?
I didn't say you don't have the right to request a checkride. I said a manager doesn't have to do one just because you request it. As for your question about going out way over on the 195, it depends. Your 195 might say 50 P2 and you have 80. Is that asking you to be unsafe? There's not enough info to answer that. What if you are supposed to have 25 P1's and you only have 15? Now you are only 20 over on P2 instead of 30. What if your return time with 50 is 1530 and your stop per hour goal is 14? So you'll get in about 1700. If your PM ctv pulls at 1830, no big deal (assuming no DOT violations etc). You didn't have to work any harder than you normally do as the sph goal of 14 is based on demonstrated performance.

Of course it could be just the opposite and not possible to do those extra 30 stops. Your blanket statement that going out over the 195 equals being unsafe is misleading. But it serves your purpose so I understand why you say it.

Calling-in sick strategically can be very valuable, and if you do it smart, it isn't cutting-off your nose to spite your face.
Sure it can if your goal is to give up a days pay.
If you have a qualifying FMLA condition, sick children and/or child care issues, you can take the day off without pay and not have it held against your attendance. Just make sure you have an MD do the paperwork and have supporting documentation.
Sick children/child care issues won't necessarily count as an FMLA qualifying event. But nice of you to give people suggestions that can get them in hot water. And again, that'll show FedEx when you don't get paid.

I know you're a doormat, but some of us aren't. If they've been screwing me over and over I will eventually find a way to get even. I no longer have perfect attendance and no longer care if I'm a 7 because it's really irrelevant given the big picture. If I know a lot of people are off already, that it's going to be heavy, and if the weather is bad, I will stick it to them as best I can by not being there. It takes 2 people to cover my route when I'm not there, so the effect is magnified.
How is giving up a day's pay sticking it to them? If you can afford it, more power to you but a lot of people cannot afford to do that.

Suck-ups and doormats get what they deserve, and that is continued abuse. Do nothing, and the abuse continues. Do something, and maybe it doesn't. If it does, at least you tried.
I know this might be a difficult concept for you to grasp but I do my job well and my managers don't abuse people. Actually, it's the opposite. They let people slide on some things they shouldn't. Shame on them for having a heart. If your managers are tools, then it is truly unfortunate that you have to deal with that. It clearly has made you a miserable person.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I didn't say you don't have the right to request a checkride. I said a manager doesn't have to do one just because you request it. As for your question about going out way over on the 195, it depends. Your 195 might say 50 P2 and you have 80. Is that asking you to be unsafe? There's not enough info to answer that. What if you are supposed to have 25 P1's and you only have 15? Now you are only 20 over on P2 instead of 30. What if your return time with 50 is 1530 and your stop per hour goal is 14? So you'll get in about 1700. If your PM ctv pulls at 1830, no big deal (assuming no DOT violations etc). You didn't have to work any harder than you normally do as the sph goal of 14 is based on demonstrated performance.

Of course it could be just the opposite and not possible to do those extra 30 stops. Your blanket statement that going out over the 195 equals being unsafe is misleading. But it serves your purpose so I understand why you say it.

Sure it can if your goal is to give up a days pay.

Sick children/child care issues won't necessarily count as an FMLA qualifying event. But nice of you to give people suggestions that can get them in hot water. And again, that'll show FedEx when you don't get paid.

How is giving up a day's pay sticking it to them? If you can afford it, more power to you but a lot of people cannot afford to do that.

I know this might be a difficult concept for you to grasp but I do my job well and my managers don't abuse people. Actually, it's the opposite. They let people slide on some things they shouldn't. Shame on them for having a heart. If your managers are tools, then it is truly unfortunate that you have to deal with that. It clearly has made you a miserable person.

It's always amazing how understanding and caring your managers are in your perfect station. Maybe that's where they go to get interviews for the "Top 100 Companies To Work For" farce. It's equally "amazing" that you seem to counter all of my facts with counter-examples that either support and/or defend FedEx. I love your explanation of sph... a typical example. Please continue to conclude that I'm a "miserable" person. Quite the contrary. The fact that I've decided to fight against the way FedEx conducts itself is actually quite energizing, but if you want to tar me with the "miserable" label because I want to put an end to a major scam...go ahead.

Using people up like diapers is inherently wrong and unjust. So is the way FedEx does business. If I can expose any of that to either employees or the general public, it actually makes me quite happy to be a part of the educational process. Actually, it must be "miserable" to be as compliant and obsequious as you obviously are. Were you born without a spine, or was it surgically removed later?

quadro

It's always amazing how understanding and caring your managers are in your perfect station. Maybe that's where they go to get interviews for the "Top 100 Companies To Work For" farce. It's equally "amazing" that you seem to counter all of my facts with counter-examples that either support and/or defend FedEx. I love your explanation of sph... a typical example. Please continue to conclude that I'm a "miserable" person. Quite the contrary. The fact that I've decided to fight against the way FedEx conducts itself is actually quite energizing, but if you want to tar me with the "miserable" label because I want to put an end to a major scam...go ahead.

Using people up like diapers is inherently wrong and unjust. So is the way FedEx does business. If I can expose any of that to either employees or the general public, it actually makes me quite happy to be a part of the educational process. Actually, it must be "miserable" to be as compliant and obsequious as you obviously are. Were you born without a spine, or was it surgically removed later?
My stops per hour explanation is simple math. I didn't counter your facts as you presented no facts. Making a blanket statement that going out over planned stops is unsafe is simply misleading at best. It may or may not be true and therefore, by definition, is not a fact.

And you expect everyone to believe that things are as bad as you say they are but as soon as someone, me in this case, states that their station doesn't run like that, they are a doormat, are obsequious, etc. Telling people what they should and should not believe, telling people what they should and should not do reminds me of the person who was the bully in grade school.

I'm sorry your station sucks. I'm sorry that your managers are tools. I'm sorry that you aren't experiencing the FedEx that I'm experiencing. I'm not sorry that I'm presenting facts that may serve to fill in the holes in your statements.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My stops per hour explanation is simple math. I didn't counter your facts as you presented no facts. Making a blanket statement that going out over planned stops is unsafe is simply misleading at best. It may or may not be true and therefore, by definition, is not a fact.
I'm sorry your station sucks. I'm sorry that your managers are tools. I'm sorry that you aren't experiencing the FedEx that I'm experiencing. I'm not sorry that I'm presenting facts that may serve to fill in the holes in your statements.[/QUOTE
And you expect everyone to believe that things are as bad as you say they are but as soon as someone, me in this case, states thI'm sorry your station sucks. I'm sorry that your managers are tools. I'm sorry that you aren't experiencing the FedEx that I'm experiencing. I'm not sorry that I'm presenting facts that may serve to fill in the holes in your statements.[/QUOTE
]

I don't think the FedEx you are experiencing even exists. I really think it's made up to create an impression that my experiences are somehow not typical. No bully here, just the facts, and those facts indicate that the real FedEx is something other than what you are portraying, which would seem to be pure fiction.

quadro

Sorry, my mistake. I forgot that MFE is omniscient and knows what's going on in every station. Except mine of course.

I don't think the FedEx you are experiencing even exists. See, I can say it just as easily as you can. Doesn't make it true.

How about you actually explain how my stop per hour example was wrong? How about presenting some facts to disprove it? You won't because you can't.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sorry, my mistake. I forgot that MFE is omniscient and knows what's going on in every station. Except mine of course.

I don't think the FedEx you are experiencing even exists. See, I can say it just as easily as you can. Doesn't make it true.

How about you actually explain how my stop per hour example was wrong? How about presenting some facts to disprove it? You won't because you can't.

I would say that the reality of my station is more prevalent than that of your Happy Camper station.

LTFedExer

I don't think the FedEx you are experiencing even exists. I really think it's made up to create an impression that my experiences are somehow not typical. No bully here, just the facts, and those facts indicate that the real FedEx is something other than what you are portraying, which would seem to be pure fiction.
Come to work at the station I'm currently in. There is/was a swing position open. It might not be PERFECT, but it's not even close to how bad you say your station is.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Come to work at the station I'm currently in. There is/was a swing position open. It might not be PERFECT, but it's not even close to how bad you say your station is.

Now who is trying to put words into others mouths? I've never sought perfection, just fairness. Maybe you work in a good station. Well, effing hooray for you, OK? The vast majority of locations SUCK, and you can pretend all day that I'm blowing smoke. Except I'm not, and you and your apologist kin know it.

FedEx2000

Now who is trying to put words into others mouths? I've never sought perfection, just fairness. Maybe you work in a good station. Well, effing hooray for you, OK? The vast majority of locations SUCK, and you can pretend all day that I'm blowing smoke. Except I'm not, and you and your apologist kin know it.

Again, what is your claim of "vast majority" based on other than your own perception? Have you taken a survey of all the stations in the country? Based on the maybe 10-20 people that get on here from time to time and complain I would say it's just the opposite. I've worked at 6 locations, non of which sucked. But what do I know, I'm just a corporate apologist.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Again, what is your claim of "vast majority" based on other than your own perception? Have you taken a survey of all the stations in the country? Based on the maybe 10-20 people that get on here from time to time and complain I would say it's just the opposite. I've worked at 6 locations, non of which sucked. But what do I know, I'm just a corporate apologist.

I talk to employees all over the country, many of whom are very purple and previously had only minor issues with FedEx. I know what I see, and I know how hard Fred is working to make sure he keeps his special advantage. I could flip it around and ask you the same thing. Where is your evidence that it's one big lovefest? Like I've said before, there aren't many employees who will tell a manager (you) to their face that "FedEx Sucks". That just wouldn't be smart.

vantexan

Been my experience, and I've been a swing twice and a 4X10 cover twice, as well as have worked in more than twice the number of stations you have, that some stations really "suck", and that's mostly due to local management. For the rest, some routes really "suck" at every station. For the couriers doing those rts their perception of FedEx may be very negative. And mgrs know how bad those rts are. In spite of acknowledgment by everyone else, mgrs will tell you that said rt isn't any worse than any other, get over it. If you are posting good numbers mgr has vested interest in keeping you in the "suck" rt. And will often maneuver to keep you in it, knowing no one else will be willing to do it and it'll have to be posted in JCATS. One thing I've learned transferring around, the route that's open is almost always the worst route in the station. I'd much rather be a 4X10 cover, knowing I'll most likely cover reasonable rts, and in a small station away from a big metro they'll most likely be extended rts. Took a lot of years and a lot of "suck" rts to get to this point, and a lot of dealing with mgrs who could care less about how hard I'm working, only that I'm helping them meet their goals.

LTFedExer

I talk to employees all over the country, many of whom are very purple and previously had only minor issues with FedEx. I know what I see, and I know how hard Fred is working to make sure he keeps his special advantage. I could flip it around and ask you the same thing. Where is your evidence that it's one big lovefest? Like I've said before, there aren't many employees who will tell a manager (you) to their face that "FedEx Sucks". That just wouldn't be smart.
Do you sit at home and think of things to post on here? If I took all the managers (8) and senior managers (5) I have worked under, put together everything they know and people they have spoken to.......you have talked to and 'know' more then they have combined.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Been my experience, and I've been a swing twice and a 4X10 cover twice, as well as have worked in more than twice the number of stations you have, that some stations really "suck", and that's mostly due to local management. For the rest, some routes really "suck" at every station. For the couriers doing those rts their perception of FedEx may be very negative. And mgrs know how bad those rts are. In spite of acknowledgment by everyone else, mgrs will tell you that said rt isn't any worse than any other, get over it. If you are posting good numbers mgr has vested interest in keeping you in the "suck" rt. And will often maneuver to keep you in it, knowing no one else will be willing to do it and it'll have to be posted in JCATS. One thing I've learned transferring around, the route that's open is almost always the worst route in the station. I'd much rather be a 4X10 cover, knowing I'll most likely cover reasonable rts, and in a small station away from a big metro they'll most likely be extended rts. Took a lot of years and a lot of "suck" rts to get to this point, and a lot of dealing with mgrs who could care less about how hard I'm working, only that I'm helping them meet their goals.

Overall, FedEx sucks, and that's because it is no longer a good place to work for many people. The individual "suckage" varies, but, in general, the level is high. Perhaps there are a few exceptional stations with great management where it somehow makes-up for the low pay and the takeaways. I don't see how, but as P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute". If you're happy being a maroon, please don't let me stop you.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

If the vast majority of FedEx employees are so freaking happy, then why is Fred S spending $25 million to fight unionization? Isn't that a waste of money, since nobody wants any changes because everything is so wonderful? Your argument is like a wet paper bag. It's obvious that many employees are extremely unhappy. Get a clue.

vantexan

Overall, FedEx sucks, and that's because it is no longer a good place to work for many people. The individual "suckage" varies, but, in general, the level is high. Perhaps there are a few exceptional stations with great management where it somehow makes-up for the low pay and the takeaways. I don't see how, but as P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute". If you're happy being a maroon, please don't let me stop you.

I'm not sure why you are attacking me, just writing about my experience to another's post. Yes, I worked for a senior in AZ who did everything possible to make it a good job for us. And I've worked for a few others who were decent. But not most, although I'll admit they have a difficult job that doesn't always bring out the best in people. As far as the company goes, it's obvious that they are telling us to live with what they offer or leave. And if they were sensitive to criticism they'd have done things very differently. All the anger, screaming, ranting, raging is just wasted energy. But it's your right. I just wonder why we aren't pursuing a national vote under the RLA. It may be as Quadro says, it's a business decision. But if the majority are eager for a union and the Teamsters are so hot to have us, what's stopping them? You mentioned that it looks like a union won't happen. Why not? I'd like to see a resolution to this once and for all. If a union won't happen I've got other things to do. Unlike you I made the mistake of quitting. I've paid dearly financially for that, and really don't understand why topped out couriers are upset beyond the pension if they didn't get enough years in. I really feel sorry for mid-range employees but they either don't plan to stay long or are ok with less as long as their spouse is working, or are glad to have anything in this economy. More and more I'm just accepting the inevitable, being almost 49. Maybe you should too, or do you plan on raging against the machine the rest of your life?

quadro

If the vast majority of FedEx employees are so freaking happy, then why is Fred S spending $25 million to fight unionization? Isn't that a waste of money, since nobody wants any changes because everything is so wonderful? Your argument is like a wet paper bag. It's obvious that many employees are extremely unhappy. Get a clue.
Sooooo Fred's spending $25 million to keep people unhappy? That makes a lot of sense. Your argument can easily support the notion that people are happy. Fred's spending the money to keep the unions from screwing things up and making people unhappy.

Not saying that is the case, but your argument is more like a wet paper bag than FedEx2000's.