UPS Work Ethic

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Why do we work the way we do?
Is it really good for you?
Is it really good for the company?
Is it really good for the country?

Is Klein really smarter than the rest of us?
I mention Klein because his posts have, many times in the past, in their essence a general point of view that questions whether the Western Work Ethic that is held as sacrosanct is not really that great for the individual.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I remember a cat that once told me, "I don't want the cheese. I just want to get out of the trap."

Are you one and the same?

Maybe not on target but an old saying from my father - Time you enjoyed wasting is not time wasted.

Last edited:

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
All I know is that I am paid a wage to do a job. I think that the wage is fair for the amount of work that I do, so I come back each day and do my job. If I thought that I was being taken advantage of, then I would find something else. Yes, you have to put up with stuff, but it is that way everywhere. We think we have it the worst, but I am sure it is worse somewheres else. After all, at least we still have a job. Just think what an auto assembly line guy is doing right now-out of work, and no future, or a very dim one.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
people are confused with work ethic, and the amount paid to do a job.

the amount paid is not part of the work ethic.

work ethic is the doing the best job according to your abilities and training, and to look out for the employer's best intrests while you are on the clock. what you do after is your business. but while on the clock, you are a steward of the time and effort you spend at each delivery, you dont waste time, after all, that time is not yours, it has been purchased at an agreed upon price.

to be on time, ready to do the job each and every day, even when you dont "feel like it"

there are some other things you could add, but that is work ethic.

work ethic at ups is quite a bit higher than it is in a lot of otherplaces. the wage might be partially responsible, as we do have people that are very hard workers, moreso than many other places.

d

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
The wage is why I do what I do. If I was paid less, I probley won't worry about the force I use to attach gladhands, or check hoses to prevent roadcalls. Yes, you buy my work ethic with the way I am treated and paid.

UPSGUY72

Work ethic has to do with waking up every morning and going to work or wanting to go to work. Than going to work and doing the best job you know how by rules you have to work with. If you want to see people with know work ethic check out 90% of the people on welfare or the people that can't keep a job becasue they take every other day off.

jw55wags

Work Ethic
Work ethic has to do with waking up every morning and going to work or wanting to go to work. Than going to work and doing the best job you know how by rules you have to work with. If you want to see people with know work ethic check out 90% of the people on welfare or the people that can't keep a job becasue they take every other day off.

Thats a very good post.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Work ethic is like anything else, it is not specific to UPS employees. On a daily basis I see plenty of employees at UPS that in my opinion are not deserving of the job. However it has been more than apparent that that too is not reserved for only UPS. We all deliver to places every day that when we walk in there are numerous people just standing around doing nothing. I believe that "work ethic" is something that you either have or you do not. I have always been of the opinion that regardless of your occupation you be the best and do the best you can while there. As far as production that UPS gets out of us, thats entirely different. Having a good "work ethic" makes the demands easier on you but if you don't have the "work ethic" the demand doesn't disappear it just makes your life more difficult. Also I agree with previous post in regards to our outstanding pay and benefits. We are payed quite well for the job that we do, so I would hope that UPS would require production that mirrors it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Work ethic means all those things.
Going to work when you feel ill, when 90 % of the work force would stay home.
Caring about your job, doing the best to give 100% no matter how much you are paid. Because it is a reflection of you.
Caring what happens at your work place even when you are not there (I know how sick is that). (or on your route)
Not even taking a chance of being late, as you are dependable.
Making it to work in a snowstorm, ice storm, earthquake, tornado, knowing it will be tough, but its your job.

TheKid

"...I will faithfully execute all duties assigned to me to my best ability and skill..."

Sound familiar ?

Or something like that....it's been 23 yrs since I first took that oath.

Fixed it for ya. Notice I left out a word? That was not by mistake.
The one's carrying the cardboard are carrying this company and there members of the bargaining unit called TEAMSTERS. I can tell you like to reap the rewards but you don't like to give credit where credit is due and thats sad actually your kind of sad.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Kid, I brought my work ethic with me to UPS. It was not given to me by the Teamsters; in fact, fellow Teamsters tried to get me to put my work ethic on the back burner. My work ethic came from my late father.

When I was a casual working my way up to becoming a seniority driver, I would cover the areas of some of our older drivers. Invariably they would tell me to slow down. When I would tell them all I was trying to do was get my seniority they would respond by telling me I was making them look bad. So much for your Teamster work ethic theory.

Union shops by their very nature promote mediocrity.

In another thread Brown Eyed Girl was vilifed for working according to her belief system.

I am a UPS employee by choice and a Teamster by default.

BILLYB

Kid, I brought my work ethic with me to UPS. It was not given to me by the Teamsters; in fact, fellow Teamsters tried to get me to put my work ethic on the back burner. My work ethic came from my late father.

When I was a casual working my way up to becoming a seniority driver, I would cover the areas of some of our older drivers. Invariably they would tell me to slow down. When I would tell them all I was trying to do was get my seniority they would respond by telling me I was making them look bad. So much for your Teamster work ethic theory.

Union shops by their very nature promote mediocrity.

In another thread Brown Eyed Girl was vilifed for working according to her belief system.

I am a UPS employee by choice and a Teamster by default.

BILLYB

Amen Upstate! I am my own boss! I have been lambasted by fellow "brothers" many times about where I stand in the eyes of UPS and the Teamsters. I explain to most of them that they do NOT give me my paycheck nor do I badmouth their work ethic - so leave me alone! I have always felt that I would make more money if I were paid for my abilities! But in a Union you are only paid as much as your weakest co-workers - less actually since it takes them longer to do the same job. Sorry if I offend anyone since my Rep power seems to be going South but this is how I feel!