UPS worker killed on way home from work

local804

A motorist stopped on the shoulder of the Long Island Expressway in Dix Hills was killed Saturday when a drunken driver fell asleep behind the wheel and slammed into the parked car, Suffolk County police said.

Asim Iqbal, 40, had pulled over on the eastbound LIE after working a late shift when a 1996 Nissan Maxima struck Iqbal's 2002 Honda Accord at about 4 a.m., west of the Deer Park Avenue exit, police said.

Iqbal, of Nesconset, a father of three, was pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver of the Maxima, David Thai, 23, of Bay Shore, was awakened by the impact. He was treated for a minor injury to his wrist at Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center in West Islip and released Saturday morning.

Thai was charged with driving while intoxicated and was scheduled to be arraigned Sunday morning in First District Court in Central Islip. He could face additional charges after blood test results are returned, Suffolk County police Sgt. Bruce Markgraf said.

Iqbal, a supervisor at United Parcel Service, was coming home from the regional headquarters in Maspeth.

His family believes he pulled over to take a nap, as he often does after working until 3 a.m. He was only 17 miles from home, where his wife, two daughters and infant son were sleeping.

In a soft voice, Iqbal's uncle, Khan Shafiq, condemned Thai and said the family hoped for stiffer charges against him.

"He knew what he was doing," said Shafiq, 50, of Hicksville. "He drank and then he drove and yet he's still alive. All of us are saying, 'Why didn't he die?'"

Thai, who told police that he had had "a few drinks" at a diner in Queens before driving home, was contrite after the accident and asked if he could apologize to Iqbal's family, Markgraf said.

"I told him to give it a little time," Markgraf said.

Iqbal's car was so badly damaged that the Suffolk police emergency services team had to pry the roof off to remove him, police said.

Police are searching for witnesses and ask anyone who saw the accident to call the Second Precinct at 631-854-8252.

Iqbal emigrated from Pakistan 22 years ago and had worked for UPS for 18 years.

For the last five years, the Iqbals have lived in a two-story, wood-framed house on a block in Nesconset lined with cedar trees. The family moved there from Bayside before his oldest daughter, now 9, started kindergarten.

"He came out here for the children and the good schools," Shafiq said.

Iqbal's wife, he said, is angry.

"She says she has no life without him," he said. "This is a terrible thing for her and the children."

Next week, during spring break, Iqbal had big plans for the kids, he said.

"He was taking them to Disney World," Shafiq said.

Channahon

How tragic and sad. There is another post "Goodbye Friend" that describes what a wonderful man he was. My thoughts and prayers with all of you who knew him.

sendagain

It never ceases to amaze me how drunks can totally devistate another person's life and walk away from these accidents with just a sprain or a scratch.

DS

Fenderbender
As I read this I couldn`t help notice that 396 people have read this post and like me,nobody really knows what to say.
Its a tragedy.But his family must persevere and not lose faith.He was loved and God knows he`d rather be with them,
than be in heaven,because of some thoughtless drunk driver.

Last edited:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
see a drunk ?? make a call ,could kill you or somebodys loved one.don't have to leave your name,someone will be happy you cared.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
Here in Mesquite, we are coming up on the 1 year anniversary of the death of Art Rand. Feeder driver was headed back to the hub bobtailing and was rear ended at high speed by 2 drunk teenagers. Hit the tractor with enough force that rear wheels were lifted off the ground and spun tractor 90 degrees. Tractor flipped and wound up upside down in a ditch. I know that Art's family would rather have him at home at night.

local804

Just a little information and some truth to this story. Asim was a feeder driver for UPS and was on his way home from an 11 hour day. He was not a supervisor and never was. He had his vacation planned to go to disney world in May(his vacation) NOT the week after his death. Where is Gods name these news people get these facts from amaze me. A few drivers seen him that night at the Meadowlands and he was in good spirits. A fellow 804 brother will be missed.

T

trucker1946

So sorry to hear this,I knew him,we used to eat lunch together,God Bless his family:thumbup1:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Just a little information and some truth to this story. Asim was a feeder driver for UPS and was on his way home from an 11 hour day. He was not a supervisor and never was. He had his vacation planned to go to disney world in May(his vacation) NOT the week after his death. Where is Gods name these news people get these facts from amaze me. A few drivers seen him that night at the Meadowlands and he was in good spirits. A fellow 804 brother will be missed.

I guess they make it up as they go along?
sad when you read of a person passing, they cant get it right.
On a side note about drunken drivers.............
last Friday night there was a semi in the Northbound lane of the freeway I take home,Pulled over to the median side. I was going South!!! He had to have traveled over 13 miles, from where I figure he must have gotten on. Very scary, drunk or stupid? Last night on the freeway going back into work, there was an accident, a Suv going the wrong way, he was killed the other driver serious, and multiple wrecks avoiding him, and he was drunk. Even drunk at some point, would you not realize you were going the wrong way on a freeway and zip into the median?

local804

One other sad point about this story is that he had to travel from his house past 4 UPS buildings where his dispatch office is located. The seniority for feeder is insane and even with 18 years on the job, he got bumped really far away from his house. Top guy on the feeder list is a 1964 seniortiy date.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Are people playing dumb today, or...?

I don't know, just a little word called "relevance"?

And please, like I said in my original reply - I really meant no disrespect. That being said, this was news two years ago. Yes, yes, death is awful, loss is painful, yes, yes... But why was a 2 year old thread taken out of mothballs? That was my point.