UPSer Survival Guide

arice11

Prologue:
"Welcome to UPS." said the driver as he shoved the door shut to his already over packed package truck.The thick exhaust from the fleet leaving the warehouse was enough to make anyone sick...especially those who were up so early that they couldn't stand to eat breakfast.

A trip to the other side of the building reveals a tangle of drivers punching in as preloaders punched out. Brown uniforms would only have to suffer the casual dressed loaders for a few more minutes, then their own struggle would begin. Anyone tough enough to make it as a driver could look back at the zombie-like preload fleeing to the parking lot and remember just how brutal things use to be for them.

To compare a driver's day to a preloader is much like comparing an DVD to a Blu-ray.
One is more expensive than the other, but they operate with the same guidelines, principles and demanding work ethic. Lift...lower...lift...lower, scan package, repeat until done!
The methods of UPS may have changed over its 100 year existence but the answer to every problem faced remains..."Don't give up...tough it out...smile and show your strength, respect those in higher positions, and never abandon your fellow employees in need."

How does one even find this unending courage and strength to lift, lower, position and scan?
The answer lies within the tested, tried and true. UPSers have survived the company before, some for 25 years, some for 7 months...seasonal workers, even others who retire and come back to lead an entire building.

What I hope to accomplish here is a dialogue between the preload. supervisor, drivers and HR folks who have long weathered the years of boxes and labels. Chapter one should be the overview of UPS operations, and also include the tips, tricks, cheats and success stories from all around the variable Brown-Nation.View attachment 21176

The Driver

I drive.
Prologue:
"Welcome to UPS." said the driver as he shoved the door shut to his already over packed package truck.The thick exhaust from the fleet leaving the warehouse was enough to make anyone sick...especially those who were up so early that they couldn't stand to eat breakfast.

A trip to the other side of the building reveals a tangle of drivers punching in as preloaders punched out. Brown uniforms would only have to suffer the casual dressed loaders for a few more minutes, then their own struggle would begin. Anyone tough enough to make it as a driver could look back at the zombie-like preload fleeing to the parking lot and remember just how brutal things use to be for them.

To compare a driver's day to a preloader is much like comparing an DVD to a Blu-ray.
One is more expensive than the other, but they operate with the same guidelines, principles and demanding work ethic. Lift...lower...lift...lower, scan package, repeat until done!
The methods of UPS may have changed over its 100 year existence but the answer to every problem faced remains..."Don't give up...tough it out...smile and show your strength, respect those in higher positions, and never abandon your fellow employees in need."

How does one even find this unending courage and strength to lift, lower, position and scan?
The answer lies within the tested, tried and true. UPSers have survived the company before, some for 25 years, some for 7 months...seasonal workers, even others who retire and come back to lead an entire building.

What I hope to accomplish here is a dialogue between the preload. supervisor, drivers and HR folks who have long weathered the years of boxes and labels. Chapter one should be the overview of UPS operations, and also include the tips, tricks, cheats and success stories from all around the variable Brown-Nation.View attachment 21176 View attachment 21176

You're a chatty Cathy, aren't you?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Perfect! So how did you end up getting unstuck? Any techniques that would be helpful to others who'll surely get stuck?
Well, the first time I went to turn around at the end of a road and got stuck. It was a pretty rural road but the people that lived there had a tractor and a pickup truck and were able to get me out. Only lost about an hour to that one.

The second time I went to climb a snow covered hill and as I approached the top, I could feel the traction giving out. Then the truck started sliding backwards I just said "oh s:censored2:t here we go" and the ass end spun and got stuck in the hillside. I sat there for about two hours before a tow truck could come and get me out. Fortunately no damage either time.

Pretty much if it looks like s:censored2:t and smells like s:censored2:t, don't drive on it because you'll be waist-deep in s:censored2:t. EC is your friend. And find alternate routes if you know them, even if it takes longer because if you get stuck it's going to take A LOT longer and if you damage property or the package car you're friend:censored2:ked.