UPSPAC & United Way 2012

UPS1907

No raise this year, a salary band and no raise for the next X years and upper management has the gall to ask FT management for contribution $$.

What color is the sky in their world?

Just a feeling, but i think contributions may be down this year... And I'm sure FT management will be the bad guys for NOT giving.

beentheredonethat

For United Way, for the last few years, I've always designated my money to go to a particular agency. (Cancer Society). I have siblings, parents, Grandparents, In Laws who have\had cancer and I feel strongly about giving to this charity. I just recently heard thru the rumor mill that the United Way takes 16% of the money as a "handling fee\administrative fee". I always assumed there was some kind of fee, but I had assumed much much lower percentage. Has any one else heard what the fee is? Is this correct? If it is, I'll donate directly to the American Cancer Society.

moreluck

golden ticket member
For United Way, for the last few years, I've always designated my money to go to a particular agency. (Cancer Society). I have siblings, parents, Grandparents, In Laws who have\had cancer and I feel strongly about giving to this charity. I just recently heard thru the rumor mill that the United Way takes 16% of the money as a "handling fee\administrative fee". I always assumed there was some kind of fee, but I had assumed much much lower percentage. Has any one else heard what the fee is? Is this correct? If it is, I'll donate directly to the American Cancer Society.
Before doing that, find out what percentage Amer. Cancer Society takes for their operating expenses first.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Before doing that, find out what percentage Amer. Cancer Society takes for their operating expenses first.

LOL.
If United Way gives the money to the American Cancer Society, the ACS still takes their percentage for operating expenses. Even less gets to the targeted people if through United Way.

moreluck

golden ticket member
If you really want to contribute to something totally...... then volunteer.....drive a chemo patient to their treatment. They can't drive after chemo.

Hold crack babies of addicted mothers...........no one will deduct operating expenses of any kind when you give your time.

Work in a soup kitchen. Volunteer at a Veteran's Hospital. There are so many places that need the direct help of your time and what you give gets to them 100%.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If you really want to contribute to something totally...... then volunteer.....drive a chemo patient to their treatment. They can't drive after chemo.

Hold crack babies of addicted mothers...........no one will deduct operating expenses of any kind when you give your time.

Work in a soup kitchen. Volunteer at a Veteran's Hospital. There are so many places that need the direct help of your time and what you give gets to them 100%.

Giving money is much easier.

I feel good about it.

An unemployed person gets a job and holds a crack baby, drives people around to get chemo, to a soup kitchen or to the Vet.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm not sure if this applies to mgt but I know for hourlies UPS offers a 15% match on our UW donations to cover administrative costs.

beentheredonethat

Well, I googled this question. I found one web site that was from one of the United Way sites. (not sure of the state offhand, I think it was Iowa). It said they deducted around 11.5% (giver or take .2%) with a minimum of $10 and a max of $200.

So I'm sure that some agencies may have different fees, so what I posted earlier may be a bit high, but from the United Way agencies on web page, they take a huge chunk of fees.

As to the comment about donating time etc. I do, my wife does, my kids do. We donate to our community (coaching two teams, my wife for two others), we donate time to our church, to our schools and to the community. One of the groups I coached and donated time to, besides teaching kids about robotics (FLL), we grew a garden and had the kids donate the proceeds to a local soup kitchen in town.

I also realize the Cancer society has administrative fees of their own. Even if their fees are 20%, the money that gets to them is still less if I go thru the United Way. Also, on the United Way web page, the company matching donations do not go where I designate, it goes into the general fund.

I was all for United Way a while ago, but ironically, I became disillusioned after going to a day of caring. I went to day care sponsored by the United way that helped to offset the costs to Poor families etc. What really irked me, was two things.

1. Why didn't the parents who got free or highly subsidized day care staying themselves for a bit of time and helping to clean or organize? I asked the person who ran the location and they said that parents don't volunteer.

2. The parents who were picking up their kids were driving cars nicer then I had. I was scratching my head, how is it they have nicer cars then me, they don't help out. No one even said thanks.

Sorry that really turned me off.

As to why I want to donate to the Cancer Society. My Grandmother (on mom's side) died of uterine cancer, my grandfather (on my dad's side) died of Leukemia, my dad died of kidney cancer, one sister had melanoma, one sister had breast cancer that spread to her bones. MY MIL had breast cancer. So to me, the cancer society is personal. I want to give money to help to stop this disease. I've also participated (and my family) in Relay for Life weekends etc. I donate time to coaching, church etc.

I think it's funny that to many many people in UPS, if you aren't behind the United Way 100% then there is something wrong with you. Many people who are rah rah United Way give way less overall to charity then I do. I just decide to go in a different direction. I enjoy coaching, I enjoy working with my church, I enjoy the relay for life. I enjoy helping to fund to fight cancer. I just don't enjoy the United Way. Sorry.

One last thought, Why is it that the President of the United Way has a salary in the 1,000,000 range? Isn't that excessive for a charity leader?

supenazi

John R. Seffrin, CEO American Cancer Society
$2,222,272​
Includes $1.5 million in a retention benefit approved in 2001, "to preserve management stability."
Peter G. Cordeiro, M.D., Chief Attending Surgery, Plastic & Reconstructive ServiceMemorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
$2,050,872​
Edward J. Benz, Jr., M.D., President/CEO​
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute/Jimmy Fund​
$1,252,705​
Jonathan W. Simons, M.D., President/CEO
Prostate Cancer Foundation
$1,233,240​

[TD="class: text2, width: 242, bgcolor: #cc0000"] Name & Title [/TD]
[TD="class: text2, width: 242, bgcolor: #cc0000"] Organization [/TD]
[TD="class: text2, width: 92, bgcolor: #cc0000"]
Top Salary*
[/TD]

LiB

Funny thing about the PAC Mr. Davis, who makes millions gave only 850 last year. So by that reckoning with the 60 i'm "recommended to give" is should be making 957,000 a year. Funny thing about that is...I don't. However, i do try to give generously to the United Way every year.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Funny thing about the PAC Mr. Davis, who makes millions gave only 850 last year. So by that reckoning with the 60 i'm "recommended to give" is should be making 957,000 a year. Funny thing about that is...I don't. However, i do try to give generously to the United Way every year.
I think the amount to be given to PAC is dictated.....I don't think anyone gives more than the dictated amount. It's PAC, not charity.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think the amount to be given to PAC is dictated.....I don't think anyone gives more than the dictated amount. It's PAC, not charity.

Contributions to the PAC are not dictated, in fact, that is illegal.
The immediate manager does not know how much each person gives up to level 20 or so.
I would think a District Manager (level 22) could get to that info if desired.
I know people that give $10 when their suggested is higher and I know people who give $200 - $300 when their suggested is $120.

I'm not sure how much, if any, I will get this year.
More out of pocket for Health Care, 1/2 month gone and no raises have many I know saying they will not give.
This may be the year UPS begins to see the repercussions of their actions over the last 5 - 6 years.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Re-thinking dictated.........As a div. mgr. my hubby was "HIGHLY RECOMMENDED" what to give to UPSPAC........ We all know what highly recommended really means!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Re: UPSPAC & United Way 2012

It's on your paycheck!! The total contributions can be queried.

That's why I said Level 22.
I don't think a Division Manager or Center Manager has the authority rights to query other management person's Payroll detail.
Not sure a 22 can but wouldn't surprise me.

UPS1907

moreluck:978508 said:
Re-thinking dictated.........As a div. mgr. my hubby was "HIGHLY RECOMMENDED" what to give to UPSPAC........ We all know what highly recommended really means!

Highly recommended means have a lawyer on hand when they try to retaliate.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
There has been a lot of talk from all management (well, the ones that did not get a raise) that they will be donating $1 to UPSPAC and $1 to United Way.
It will interesting to see if they stick to their guns on this.
UPS management can be rather ruthless in pursuit of goals.
I don't feel like I should contribute but I am afraid not to.
Upper UPS management don't care whether it is legal or not.They set goals and they will not stand still if they are not met.
Last year there was a lot of last minute pressure to give to United Way when UPS did not meet their goals.
They extended the contribution period and frankly, some of the tactics seemed to be done with no integrity or honesty to the UPS official line that contributing was voluntary.
There was nothing voluntary for many people who were asked to reconsider contributing.

UPS1907

Mr Jingles:979029 said:
There has been a lot of talk from all management (well, the ones that did not get a raise) that they will be donating $1 to UPSPAC and $1 to United Way.
It will interesting to see if they stick to their guns on this.
UPS management can be rather ruthless in pursuit of goals.
I don't feel like I should contribute but I am afraid not to.
Upper UPS management don't care whether it is legal or not.They set goals and they will not stand still if they are not met.
Last year there was a lot of last minute pressure to give to United Way when UPS did not meet their goals.
They extended the contribution period and frankly, some of the tactics seemed to be done with no integrity or honesty to the UPS official line that contributing was voluntary.
There was nothing voluntary for many people who were asked to reconsider contributing.

I think this year they have to expect less. You can only intimidate so many people before trouble starts. Wait until the new contract in 2013. If the drivers don't get what they want... Oh boy, now you've lost most management and the drivers.
I'm sure the Casey Foundation can pick up the slack.