UPS's best ideas - No commit time over relaxed, Xmas week

JL 0513

While no commits is a good move to smooth things along, UPS shouldn't have maintained the same price structure for NDA vs NDAS. I'm still getting lots of NDA which means people aren't being told that there are no time commits otherwise they would all be paying for savers. Today I was delivering NDA at 7:30 at night. As a customer, I wouldn't be too happy if I was waiting at home at 10am.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
This is the best idea they've had in years. It's surprising that they didn't start this sooner. Like other folks have said, relaxed commit only helps somewhat when we're leaving the building super late. With the no commit, leaving over an hour late no longer means you'll be out all night.

This is the best peak we've had in years. I'm usually super critical of all the questionable moves the company makes. But this year they seem to have gotten it right. They hired a ton more seasonal drivers and gave up on the helper time limit BS. There's so many routes out there that getting anyone help at any time whether it's with stops or a PU is not a problem. I feel bad for the scores of seasonal drivers who want to stay driving after peak. But at least the regular drivers have been staying truthful with them about what they'll be doing after peak (either working in the hub or waiting for a call).

I do agree with the Saver vs Air bit though. If UPS were honest they would charge the same price on Next Day Air and Next Day Air Savers just for this week. But I know they're not.

One last thing: have any of you noticed your business stops being lighter than usual? It's so light for me that it kinda resembles those days where UPS deems it a holiday even though most businesses are open and put 'known closed' on a bunch of business stops. I hope they're not holding back on business packages. A couple of years ago on Christmas eve they closed almost all the businesses on my route. I had a ton of pissed off customers after Christmas because they ordered their presents to their jobs. Yes they shouldn't have waited till the last minute. But the point is, they weren't closed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First of all, does anyone know for sure that UPS has not changed their pricing structure in response to their commit time change?

Second, I have also noticed that my business stops are a bit lighter, but I figured it was more because it is near the end of the year and less about UPS holding commercial stops in favor or getting all of the resis delivered.

Over 70

I know they met me with late air yesterday around noon and there was an early AM on there. Needless to say customer was pissed they paid the extra $$. I just told them to complain and maybe they would reduce it?

DOK

If you hit the second soft key from the left on the bottom that says "commit" it will show just your commit times and in order. Then the same soft key will say "whole" so you can get back to the regular screen ;)

Yes, I'm meaning less toggling around, I like that it's in order and you can go right down edd without bouncing around between screens or toggling up and down.

Indecisi0n

In theory almost anyone can deliver a box and be good at it overtime. What separates us from the rest is and should be the service that comes with it. Most people will pay more to get better service but once the service part goes away it then only becomes about the cost.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
This is the best idea they've had in years. It's surprising that they didn't start this sooner. Like other folks have said, relaxed commit only helps somewhat when we're leaving the building super late. With the no commit, leaving over an hour late no longer means you'll be out all night.

This is the best peak we've had in years. I'm usually super critical of all the questionable moves the company makes. But this year they seem to have gotten it right. They hired a ton more seasonal drivers and gave up on the helper time limit BS. There's so many routes out there that getting anyone help at any time whether it's with stops or a PU is not a problem. I feel bad for the scores of seasonal drivers who want to stay driving after peak. But at least the regular drivers have been staying truthful with them about what they'll be doing after peak (either working in the hub or waiting for a call).

I do agree with the Saver vs Air bit though. If UPS were honest they would charge the same price on Next Day Air and Next Day Air Savers just for this week. But I know they're not.

One last thing: have any of you noticed your business stops being lighter than usual? It's so light for me that it kinda resembles those days where UPS deems it a holiday even though most businesses are open and put 'known closed' on a bunch of business stops. I hope they're not holding back on business packages. A couple of years ago on Christmas eve they closed almost all the businesses on my route. I had a ton of :censored2: off customers after Christmas because they ordered their presents to their jobs. Yes they shouldn't have waited till the last minute. But the point is, they weren't closed.
First of all, does anyone know for sure that UPS has not changed their pricing structure in response to their commit time change?

Second, I have also noticed that my business stops are a bit lighter, but I figured it was more because it is near the end of the year and less about UPS holding commercial stops in favor or getting all of the resis delivered.

In 2016, UPS can't just hold back trackable boxes.
It would not shock me that non-essential non-holiday business shippers were asked to hold those shipments until next week.
I delivered to a store years ago and I had 8 boxes of Valentine Cards from American Greetings a week before Xmas.
I'm sure that Account Executive worked out a deal with them to delay shipments. It probably happens more often now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In 2016, UPS can't just hold back trackable boxes.
It would not shock me that non-essential non-holiday business shippers were asked to hold those shipments until next week.
I delivered to a store years ago and I had 8 boxes of Valentine Cards from American Greetings a week before Xmas.
I'm sure that Account Executive worked out a deal with them to delay shipments. It probably happens more often now.

Sure they can.

We only processed half the air both Tuesday and Wednesday.

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
We're having a flawless fantastic peak over here...they got it right over here finally, like it or not everyone gets a helper 95% of the center is in by 6:30-7 o'clock.

Ms.PacMan

One last thing: have any of you noticed your business stops being lighter than usual? It's so light for me that it kinda resembles those days where UPS deems it a holiday even though most businesses are open and put 'known closed' on a bunch of business stops. I hope they're not holding back on business packages. A couple of years ago on Christmas eve they closed almost all the businesses on my route. I had a ton of :censored2: off customers after Christmas because they ordered their presents to their jobs. Yes they shouldn't have waited till the last minute. But the point is, they weren't closed.

Yes - I was thinking last week that my businesses were the heaviest they had been all year (pieces) for the last two weeks and suddenly this week I have maybe one package for them and resis are thru the roof with multiple packages for each address.

Maybe that's what all the business/resi designations were for last year and they are advancing business deliveries early in peak and holding resis. Seems unlikely that all these residential pkgs (6,7,8 per house) were all ordered last weekend or that businesses are suddenly all stocking up at the same time.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
'
I just got a shipping quote from Ups.com and nda saver is still cheaper. I really doubt UPS told anybody about the commit time cancellation because at least some of them would have been smart enough to use saver instead. Feels kinda shady delivering nda at 9pm.