Upstate Gets A Son-In-Law For Christmas

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My daughter and her boyfriend spent this past weekend with me and James asked for my blessing to marry my daughter. He was so nervous. He is a good kid and I suppose she could (and has) done much worse.

He will be popping the question today. They are going to NYC for the day. Part of their day will be spent at the skating rink at Rockefeller Center.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
My daughter and her boyfriend spent this past weekend with me and James asked for my blessing to marry my daughter. He was so nervous. He is a good kid and I suppose she could (and has) done much worse.

He will be popping the question today. They are going to NYC for the day. Part of their day will be spent at the skating rink at Rockefeller Center.

Wow.

Lucky girl.

:happy-very:

I don`t envy you with a daughter of my own that I have that to look forward to.I remember asking my father in law for his OK to marry his daughter. He`s a big guy,former Navy Captain and has the ability to put the fear of God in you with just a look. The circumstances were unusual at the time but I remember he clamping his big hand on my shoulder and telling me that he knew I would take care of her. It was a big relief. Props to James for doing it right.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That was the part that impressed me the most.

The best part is my daughter has absolutely no clue of his plans for the day. As far as she is concerned they are going to NYC to spend the day together.

I will say though as respectful as any future son in law may be I`m still going to scare him,just a little.:happy2: After all she is my little girl.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
That's one of the perks of having a daughter.:wink2:

Daughters are great and I love my princess dearly and the best part is I only have one.If you want I can send you copies of reciepts from the wedding(the ones that my wife the wedding planner let me know about) I will also send along some heart medicine to help with the sticker shock.
In all sincerity congradulations !

bbsam

Staff member
My daughter's 2 and she's never getting married. I told her so. I have 2 sons and don't want another yucky boy around.:happy-very:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

She was blown away--she had no clue. They skated for an hour or so and then the staff started to clear the ice. Megan thought they had to get off also but was told to wait a moment. Soon it was just the two of them. They skated a lap and then James proposed. She said yes. They then skated 2 laps and had a champagne toast. I guess there were nearly 1000 spectators so I am sure she was somewhat embarassed.

I called her last night and we started to talk budget. I told her that her mother and I would spend up to $5K each and that they needed to stay within that budget. I also told her that she didn't have to spend the whole $10K and that whatever money was left over would be theirs to start their new life together, whether it be toward a down payment on a house or whatever they chose to spend it on.

I jokingly called her Bridezilla and she assured me she would not be like that. She is actually level headed and I'm sure it will be a nice ceremony, not the most lavish but certainly not the cheapest.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Congratulations on your march to becoming a Father-in-Law, Upstate. I'm glad you had the honor of watching James do things the right way. Thanks for sharing such a nice story with us here at the BC. I pray for their happiness, joy and may there always be freedom of communication. God bless them and you through this new chapter in your lives.:peaceful: