US Gov. Software Creates 'Fake People'

curiousbrain

When you read through the article and the FBO 'Persona Management Software', it is more clear what is going on here: the creation of fake virtual identities online. It's not like they are printing out fake social security cards, drivers licenses, and drawing up Randall Stevens' left and right.

Any of us could do most of what the contract outlines with thirty minutes of time and some mouse clicking, the contract seems to desire a way to automate the process.

I don't particularly happen to agree with this sort of 'strawman factory', especially in the realm of my government, but there is no technical wizardry going on here; they are asking for well-known, straightforward techniques wrapped up into an automated process.

It does raise another interesting question, though, which is at what point do social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, etc) have a responsibility to look for this type of behavior on their own, and then either take action or make it public?

edit: A list of the organizations who have responded to the proposal.

rod

Retired 22 years
When you read through the article and the FBO 'Persona Management Software', it is more clear what is going on here: the creation of fake virtual identities online. It's not like they are printing out fake social security cards, drivers licenses, and drawing up Randall Stevens' left and right.

Any of us could do most of what the contract outlines with thirty minutes of time and some mouse clicking, the contract seems to desire a way to automate the process.

I don't particularly happen to agree with this sort of 'strawman factory', especially in the realm of my government, but there is no technical wizardry going on here; they are asking for well-known, straightforward techniques wrapped up into an automated process.

It does raise another interesting question, though, which is at what point do social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, etc) have a responsibility to look for this type of behavior on their own, and then either take action or make it public?

edit: A list of the organizations who have responded to the proposal.

This is the internet---nobody is responsible for anything.-------------------------------my name is Peggy

bbsam

Staff member
This is the internet---nobody is responsible for anything.-------------------------------my name is Peggy

Hi, Peggy. Did Al really score four touchdowns in a single game. And did the Darcy's ever have a three-way with Kelly? Enquiring minds want to know!

bbsam

Staff member
when Amanda Bearse directed a show , Kelly was outstanding.

True. Did you notice in the very early years Kelly was really somewhat intelligent? Not sure when the change occurred. I also thought I liked Steve better than Jefferson until I started watching the re-runs. Jefferson really was the better of the two.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
They showed what happened to Kelly during a flash-back, it was riding in the car she banged her head.
Quite true about Jefferson.