Using the Restroom ONLY at break..

RealPerson

FT Sup at PCM told another sort, that workers could only use the bathroom or get a drink during the scheduled break.

If they left the work area to go to the restroom it was considered job abandonment.

What are everyone's thoughts.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Call the hall, file for harassment. They can't do that, bottom line.

They can't also talk out both sides of their mouth, telling you it's part of the methods to hydrate and then telling you that you can't use the bathroom.

anonymous4

I have such trouble believing that was said. I hear some of these stories and it's either trolling, a terrible employee being bullied or you work in the oddest center in the country. My soups are some of the chillest people I know and appreciate the work you do for them. I can see leaving when things just got real. Otherwise I piss as much as I please and no one blinks. Crazy...

IzzyTheNose

I have such trouble believing that was said. I hear some of these stories and it's either trolling, a terrible employee being bullied or you work in the oddest center in the country. My soups are some of the chillest people I know and appreciate the work you do for them. I can see leaving when things just got real. Otherwise I piss as much as I please and no one blinks. Crazy...

I once left to the restroom at the same time as someone else in my area, and the sort manager (who was a known a-hole), shouts that we can't both go to the restroom at the same time. I shrugged my shoulders and told him if he wanted to fire me for having to use the restroom, then knock yourself out.

It may not be rampant. But I'm certain it happens. Especially with new-hires. I've seen part-time sups tell new-hires to work through break, and find out later that that time wasn't added.

stink219

FT Sup at PCM told another sort, that workers could only use the bathroom or get a drink during the scheduled break.

If they left the work area to go to the restroom it was considered job abandonment.

What are everyone's thoughts.
Sups and managers say things to elicit a specific reaction or behavior. You need to work as directed BUT only if your safety and health is not at risk. OSHA assessed the bathroom issue. If you gotta go, then go. This summer OSHA also had the biggest push for proper hydration in the delivery and trucking area.
As a steward, I would inform that sup that their would be a grievance filed for a change in working conditions, a formal complaint to HR for UPS Code of Ethics violation, ULP charges filed against him and a class action complaint to OSHA for an unsafe work environment.
Remember, 2 can play this game.

Macbrother

We had a center manager yell at an unloader for getting a drink of water from the fountain during his shift. It's not so out of the question to hear this nonsense.

We had a center manager yell at an unloader for getting a drink of water from the fountain during his shift. It's not so out of the question to hear this nonsense.

It stops when someone passes out from the heat and as the medics wake them up the first words out of their mouth are " I didn't get a drink of water because I was afraid of disciplinary action from (insert soon to be ex- mgrs name here)".

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

My first FT supervisor was fond of this. Then he got fired for shaving time cards when he was promoted to run a nearby package center.

Eventually, you just have to dare them to discipline you for taking a leak or a drink. They eventually get the message.

RealPerson

No it was 100% real. Several people did call the hall today, and we are waiting to hear back. It was the talk of the night on my shift, and I am sure on pre load.
One steward did say if you go to the bathroom to much, they can require a doctors note or something.

Anyway I will update when I find out what my BA said. The Steward on my shift, she said, good I need the money from a lawsuit...

RealPerson

Sups and managers say things to elicit a specific reaction or behavior. You need to work as directed BUT only if your safety and health is not at risk. OSHA assessed the bathroom issue. If you gotta go, then go. This summer OSHA also had the biggest push for proper hydration in the delivery and trucking area.
As a steward, I would inform that sup that their would be a grievance filed for a change in working conditions, a formal complaint to HR for UPS Code of Ethics violation, ULP charges filed against him and a class action complaint to OSHA for an unsafe work environment.
Remember, 2 can play this game.

Nice, Thanks!

RealPerson

Sad news, my BA said you are an adult, you should be able to hold it...

Good news is, some of the sups I guess said if you allow them to work while you are gone, then they are fine with it.

They said they just wanted to be told when you are gone, so the area can be kept free of boxes... Problem is, it takes longer to find a sup than to just go to the bathroom most of the time.