USPS set to close 2,000 branches.

over9five

Staff member
Why in the world does the USPS still deliver on Saturday? It's a totally unnecessary service, and could save millions if done away with!

UPSGUY72

Why in the world does the USPS still deliver on Saturday? It's a totally unnecessary service, and could save millions if done away with!

They could do away with Sat Deliveries and still would be lossing money. The problem is the goverment runs it. Everything the goverment is in charge of losses money they even destroyed Social Security by stealing from it to pay for other things that they couldn't afford to start with.

klein

Für Meno :)
And if it wasn't government controlled ( said controlled, because it's not run by the government), a letter would be well over $1.00 by now, and maybe they would get UPS union wages, and a top notch wages for sups, managers, ceo's.
Pay dividends to shareholders, instead of keeping the price of a stamp low.

UPSGUY72

And if it wasn't government controlled ( said controlled, because it's not run by the government), a letter would be well over $1.00 by now, and maybe they would get UPS union wages, and a top notch wages for sups, managers, ceo's.
Pay dividends to shareholders, instead of keeping the price of a stamp low.

Postal employee make pretty good money and have good benifts.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
The Post Office's problems are that their business model is from the 1800's. The reason private companies continue to make profit in a market that so many say you can't, is because the ability to easily evolve. With that said they will never be able to be sustainable if they are not given the flexibility of a privatized company.

Ironically though this thread is sort of contrary to the one about our new service that allows more direct use of postal service. Interesting to see how this will effect the deployment of our new service.

nocturnalbuck

we had a pcm this morning saying that our basic post office service will be called surepost. apparently this change will allow us to win some new business bids. all smalls delivered to the post office will be in bags needing only to scan the bag. that's all they told us other than it'll be starting in march.

we had a pcm this morning saying that our basic post office service will be called surepost. apparently this change will allow us to win some new business bids. all smalls delivered to the post office will be in bags needing only to scan the bag. that's all they told us other than it'll be starting in march.

I bet it's going to work great!!!

bbsam

Staff member
The Post Office's problems are that their business model is from the 1800's. The reason private companies continue to make profit in a market that so many say you can't, is because the ability to easily evolve. With that said they will never be able to be sustainable if they are not given the flexibility of a privatized company.

Ironically though this thread is sort of contrary to the one about our new service that allows more direct use of postal service. Interesting to see how this will effect the deployment of our new service.
Surepost same as Fedex's Smartpost. Who's replicating who?

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
YES. tHAT SERVICE SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN ALLOWED. eVERY 40 STOPS IS A TEAMSTER JOB. nOW ALL OUR WORK IS GOING TO THE POST OFFICE. i DELIVER TO THE SAME HOUSE AFTER I LEAVE A PACKAGE WITH TH USPS

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

YES. tHAT SERVICE SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN ALLOWED. eVERY 40 STOPS IS A TEAMSTER JOB. nOW ALL OUR WORK IS GOING TO THE POST OFFICE. i DELIVER TO THE SAME HOUSE AFTER I LEAVE A PACKAGE WITH TH USPS

Yawn.

This is volume THAT WE NEVER HAD. (I can use caps too). SurePost will bring in even more volume THAT WE NEVER HAD. This will create a much more lean oeration, focusing on the much more profitable business to business market. We will not lose residentials entirely but there will be a significant decline in the number of residential stops.

Our price point is out of hand and SurePost is a way to secure volume and ensure our continued operation.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I keep hearing our price point is out of hand. Who are the fools giving us 14 million packages a day? It will be interesting to see how many packages end up in these bags for the post office that don't belong there. Oh thats right, our technology prevents misloads. After a few weeks the driver will be required to open up the bag and check the contents, even though he's getting credit for one pkg. Should be entertaining.

evilleace

Yawn.

This is volume THAT WE NEVER HAD. (I can use caps too). SurePost will bring in even more volume THAT WE NEVER HAD. This will create a much more lean oeration, focusing on the much more profitable business to business market. We will not lose residentials entirely but there will be a significant decline in the number of residential stops.

I keep hearing this is volume that we never had but in fact a good portion of it we did have as ground volume that was converted to basic. My main problem with surepost is that the urban residential stops will now go to the post office there is no real reason for that in my opinion other than to cut routes and elimiminate jobs. If eliminating jobs was not the intent then why not leave it zip code based?

beentheredonethat

I keep hearing this is volume that we never had but in fact a good portion of it we did have as ground volume that was converted to basic. My main problem with surepost is that the urban residential stops will now go to the post office there is no real reason for that in my opinion other than to cut routes and elimiminate jobs. If eliminating jobs was not the intent then why not leave it zip code based?
If you think about it, virtually all volume FDX has was once ours too. Customers are demanding lower rates on shipping pkgs. We are less profitable on residential due to higher miles per stop and lower pieces per stop as compared to business stops. Some customers who shipped UPS have FDX come in and offer much lower rates for SmartPost. The company tells the UPS sales rep about the diversion. The sales person offers BASIC svc as a way to compete on price. The customer accepts the new svc and lower rates. From the outside, it looks like UPS just has them change to BASIC for no reason. Usually the only people who know are the shipping mgr, the CFO etc of the company and the sales force. Keep in mind the AE makes more commission on higher revenue pkgs. They wouldn't change a customer to a lower svc and lose money in their own pocket at the same time. Unless, it's to keep the customer with UPS instead of losing them entirely. If FDX gets the volume it's 100% nonunion til it gets to the USPS. With UPS the volume is processed by teamsters.