USPS to UPS??

FS3

OK, bear with me. I'm with USPS as a PMR (Postmaster Relief). Seems *somewhat similar to PTPCS. I run a small rural PO where they've transferred the postmaster or offered them early retire, and they back-fill the position with PMRs. It's management, non-union, but you're essentially treated like a temp., on call, abused, etc...but they sell you on the job that you're going to be an acting postmaster. LOL. Yeah, lotsa sunshine being blown on that one. You'll be doing EVERYTHING the postmaster would do, in addition to retail counter and mail box up functions too, but being paid much less than a postmaster. The upper management is glad it's you there doing the job and not them, and they don't want to hear from you at all...and the hourly union employees will hate you, because in some respects you are expected to do their job which perhaps cuts a union job and they tell you that you're not a real postmaster...The mail workers union has a grievance out against the use of PMRs as permanent replacements for postmasters, instead of offering those available work hrs. to union employees. So, there's a danger if the union wins their arbitration, a lot of us PMRs will get walking papers. USPS isn't going to bust their ass trying to find someplace for us to go get hrs. in a time when they're in bad shape and looking to cut. There really is NO room for upward movement as a PMR unless you land an open postmaster slot, which is going to be very rare occurrence. The only way to realistically move up is to re-class and start fresh as a clerk, carrier, or support employee sorting mail. Sounds a lot like what I'm hearing about PT sups with UPS. Go there-be abused-get stuck.

Anyway, so I went and asked around the local UPS looking for possible ways to use some of the skills I already have (I accept & distribute PO mail, sort and dispatch outgoing, retail counter, stamp & money order accountability, dispatch bank deposit, do daily finance, scanner, & other PO operations related reports & close the PO). It's a moderately stressful job, but easy enough now that I know it. I almost never hear from upper management unless something goes wrong and a scan was missed or late. I was told they had two PT sup positions. PTPCS and Local Sort. They also had a PT morning sort position (union) open that paid a few bucks less an hr. I was looking at the PTPCS. Sounds good on the surface. PT hours is great with me. The Local Sort sounds like a whole lot more stress and whip cracking, although to be honest, both of them sound like they could be a nightmare and I will be constantly ridden according to numbers on a morning report, and not enough hrs in the day to do what they want done. The impression I'm getting is that they chew up a lot of these PT sups and that it's pretty dog-eat-dog atmosphere between the hourly and the management. I'm not sure whether it would be wise to make the switch, but USPS is not anymore what it used to be either. The PTPCS is offering a better shift for me (5-10pm), ability to get more hours than USPS, and it's an increase over what I'm getting with USPS. I just don't know if I'd like it or last long in that atmosphere as a UPS PT sup. Sounds like they do a lot of shuffling people around and firing people that don't work out really fast. Where I'm at now, I am the boss and it's relatively laid back as far as not having someone breathing down my neck. My immediate sup is the big city postmaster, and I almost never hear from him (which is the way I like it)...but at any time I could be cut and replaced by a union position, or my PO could be closed on the next re-asses for down-sizing, so it's a risk even staying with USPS and this could be my only chance to take a life boat.

I've just read so much negative about taking the PT sup job. Is there anyone out there who really likes the PT sup job? Specifically PTPCS? What *exactly do they do? Trying to get that answer when I was there for the interview was like nailing jello to a wall.

btrlov

pt sups get at least 27.5 hrs starting at 15 plus an hour. but a govt job will probably pay more long term, and carriers make way more than pt sups, most CCAs make more than pt sups.pt sups have better benefits tho.

UPS pt sup is career abyss, there absolutely no guidance or direction to any other position, MAPP testing is BS as you wont move up anytime soon w/o a decent bachelors degree and constant pushing and prodding ur self to be promoted.

FS3

pt sups get at least 27.5 hrs starting at 15 plus an hour. but a govt job will probably pay more long term, and carriers make way more than pt sups, most CCAs make more than pt sups.pt sups have better benefits tho.

UPS pt sup is career abyss, there absolutely no guidance or direction to any other position, MAPP testing is BS as you wont move up anytime soon w/o a decent bachelors degree and constant pushing and prodding ur self to be promoted.

The center manager said $14.10 I think, but I'm sure it varies. I know USPS carriers and other union bargaining employees are going to eventually make more than a PT sup @ UPS, but I'm not in one of those positions, or I wouldn't even be thinking about leaving. As a PMR, I'm PT non-union management too, and I'd have to walk out and walk back in the front door to get one of those union jobs, kinda like how it sounds a UPS PT sup would have to do if he wanted to drive. It's the same situation, but it's going to be MUCH harder to walk back in the front door of USPS. It's not like they have hella turn over when it comes to carriers and window clerks for that very reason. Ever see many post office jobs in the papers or job fairs? Nope. Those jobs are snatched up as quick as they are posted. You get something like that, you keep it.

Basically at this center, the PTPCS pos came open because the PT sup actually got promoted to FT sup. So, I guess it's not all that impossible. My only real consideration and I guess difference between the PMR job and the PTPCS job, is that at least I wouldn't have a guillotine hanging over me about the whole position being eliminated by a pending union grievance in arbitration. I guess it comes down to...do I wait for an opening and try to go back in the front door of USPS? But the Postmaster in this area isn't going to hire me on as a clerk or carrier if I quit one of his POs on him. LOL He'll never let me transfer out of it and go career hourly now that he has someone in the $h!t position is the problem. He calls the shots on who gets hired and fired in this whole region and so I'm a lame duck at USPS too unless I move out of his area of operations. I'm screwed either way. LMAO If I wasn't 42 yo I'd take the damn hourly package handler job.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
The PTPCS is offering a better shift for me (5-10pm), ability to get more hours than USPS, and it's an increase over what I'm getting with USPS. I just don't know if I'd like it or last long in that atmosphere as a UPS PT sup.
This is misleading. The sort might last from 5-10. But as the sup you will be there from 4-11. And you're not hourly.

FS3

Thanks for this info. I was intending to ask when they made me an offer if I was going to be paid for time over the 27.5, and if this position paid time and a half if for whatever reason I went over 40. That's going to be critical for me. I won't take a salaried mid management position, no way, no how. Been there, done that. NEVER again. I'm also going to clarify the shift with them. I don't want to get into something where I was told I had a certain shift, but I actually end up being asked to be there an hour early and stay two hours late or something. I took the MAPP test or whatever it is and passed, and they're doing background now, so I gotta make my mind up quick. Thanks!

hnc

How long is the wait for medical benefits as a pt sup? And let us know the answers to your other questions! :)

Sent using BrownCafe App

RolloTony Brown Town

Pt sups are hourly employees who have a cap at 27.5 hours. If you work more hours, you get paid what hours you worked. If you work less than 27.5, you get paid for 27.5 hours. Anyone who works for free or isn't compensated beyond 27.5 is a sucker.

My personal recommendation is to take the preload job. Learn the ins and outs, and about how the union interacts with mgmt and their brothers. Jumping into pt management without working as a union employee first is a mistake. Not only do you become the guy who doesn't know because he was never there. You also essentially rob yourself of most any opportunity to be a service provider (the best position ups has to offer besides feeder driver). Take the preload job first, do well and if you like it and are good at it and after you see the bs ups management deals with you still want to be a supervisor, do it then. Trust me they're always looking for new pt supervisors.

Sent using BrownCafe App

btrlov

How long is the wait for medical benefits as a pt sup? And let us know the answers to your other questions! :)

Sent using BrownCafe App
u get medical dental pharmacy the 1st day on the job for around 20 bucks a paycheck for urself

elo

Trying to figure out where they hid the body.
I am a PTPCS and I like it. I work 4-9:30 give or take, I left at 9:40 tonight. I answer the phone, communicate with the drivers, help some with the local sort if they need me, print lots and lots of reports, monitor different things throughout the night, check time cards, once our customer counter closes I assist customers if they need to pick up. I also handle any customer complaints that come through from the 1800 number to the best of my ability. I apologize a lot! I see a lot of things our local sort sup does not. I feel like PCS is where I need to be right now, but am considering a preload sup position in the near future. I have learned that each PCS shift is different. AM is crazy because you're trying to get drivers out the door, mid-day is pretty slow, and PM picks up as the local sort is going on. There are nights I want to pull my hair out in the first 20 minutes and then others that couldn't go any smoother. My benefits started my first day. I did only pick up dental since my husband's medical was better.

FS3

I am a PTPCS and I like it. I work 4-9:30 give or take, I left at 9:40 tonight. I answer the phone, communicate with the drivers, help some with the local sort if they need me, print lots and lots of reports, monitor different things throughout the night, check time cards, once our customer counter closes I assist customers if they need to pick up. I also handle any customer complaints that come through from the 1800 number to the best of my ability. I apologize a lot! I see a lot of things our local sort sup does not. I feel like PCS is where I need to be right now, but am considering a preload sup position in the near future. I have learned that each PCS shift is different. AM is crazy because you're trying to get drivers out the door, mid-day is pretty slow, and PM picks up as the local sort is going on. There are nights I want to pull my hair out in the first 20 minutes and then others that couldn't go any smoother. My benefits started my first day. I did only pick up dental since my husband's medical was better.

Thanks for that. So, ballpark, how often do you go over 27.5 a week and how much would you say is your average hrs a week? I'm going to be on a similar schedule (5-10pm, give or take). My background came back and I just got my offer this morning. I kinda think that based on what I heard, though the local sort sup position has more potential for upward mobility learning the system, I'm not sure if it's the right first step to make. The PCS sounds good for what I need now and to break into learning the place. I've already been told they will move people around into other positions at this center, so I could go to the local sort later and learn that. Right now, I'm not looking that far down the road and worrying about driving, going union, etc. I just need some modicum of reasonably expected hours and pay. I do have my own side from home business that makes some money in summer, and I have a couple of recurring summer camp teaching gigs, so I have other things going on. I'm not entirely dependent on whether UPS becomes a career. I asked the HR rep this morning though, and she told me I would be paid for hours over 27.5, they would just be paid straight hourly and not as time and a half. Well, that's what I expected anyway. That's fine with me. I won't work for free, nope. If I was told I could work 32hrs and only be paid for 27.5 then that would be a deal breaker for me.

elo

I go over 27.5 at least one week a month. We all work 1 Saturday a month for about 2 hours. According to my center manager you have to be on an operation for fulltime consideration. Our center may be shifting us around soon, so I may have some preload experience soon. I will be honest about pay, it's fair but not exceptional. During peak I was doing pretty well pay wise, but there were some nights I was leaving as the dispatchers were coming in. So be prepared November to January to stay late & everyone to be less than thrilled to be there. Weeks with holidays in them you'll only get paid for 27.5. I ran into that the week of Thanksgiving. I had worked 24 hours Monday-Wednesday then was off Thursday & Friday. Instead of being paid for 11 hours those 2 days I was just paid for 3.5 hours. I was LIVID when I got my check.

I also should add that you have to learn the driver's personalities & how to talk to them. It's key to getting anything done. Good luck!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Weeks with holidays in them you'll only get paid for 27.5. I ran into that the week of Thanksgiving. I had worked 24 hours Monday-Wednesday then was off Thursday & Friday. Instead of being paid for 11 hours those 2 days I was just paid for 3.5 hours. I was LIVID when I got my check.

Next year you should only be slightly pissed off.

FS3

I go over 27.5 at least one week a month. We all work 1 Saturday a month for about 2 hours. According to my center manager you have to be on an operation for fulltime consideration. Our center may be shifting us around soon, so I may have some preload experience soon. I will be honest about pay, it's fair but not exceptional. During peak I was doing pretty well pay wise, but there were some nights I was leaving as the dispatchers were coming in. So be prepared November to January to stay late & everyone to be less than thrilled to be there. Weeks with holidays in them you'll only get paid for 27.5. I ran into that the week of Thanksgiving. I had worked 24 hours Monday-Wednesday then was off Thursday & Friday. Instead of being paid for 11 hours those 2 days I was just paid for 3.5 hours. I was LIVID when I got my check.

OK, so really given my situation, I'm not all that worried about not getting enough hours. 30-ish is fine with me and suits me. I just like to know what to expect. I don't want to make commitments for other things, thinking I'm going to be off around a certain time and never being able to count on when I'm out of there. In other words, I'm more so worried about having a grabasstic schedule and not being able to stay within it, than I am not getting enough hours for me. So when you say some nights you were there until dispatchers came in, how long over your shift are we talking here? I was told my shift would be 5-10pm so outside of a few hiccups here and there, I will pretty much expect to get out of there closer to 10 than midnight. I don't mind telling you that I'm former military, this isn't my first supervisor position, I've been in business for myself and I don't put up with bull:censored2:, even from employers. I can and will walk if we come to what I would call a deal breaker, and let me tell you, being paid one hour less than I put on that clock will be a deal breaker for me if they expected me to stay and work it. I regard that as stealing from me, just as they would. If they expect me to work it, I expect them to pay it, or they will watch me clock out on the dot every friggin night.

The pay I was told today is actually $2 more than what I was getting at USPS filling in for postmasters, if you can believe that. I'm not understanding what you mean about how you were paid during the week of Thanksgiving though. You worked 24 and were paid for 27.5 still, but you expected 11 hrs to be paid to you for a Thur and Friday you didn't work at all? I'm not understanding. Is it because you thought the remainder of your 27.5 which would be 3.5hrs should have been paid to you as holiday pay, even though you weren't on the clock those days? If so, I gotta ask you honestly, we you union before? I'm not even started my first day yet and I wouldn't expect such a thing as to be paid at a holiday rate for hours when I didn't even clock in that day. Hell I'm glad they paid me just for a full day of work I didn't even do at USPS when it came to a holiday. I got my regular clock hrs., but we didn't get dang holiday time unless we actually WORKED the holiday. USPS pays 3.5x on Christmas Day, but you don't get that unless you actually work it. I'm sure UPS isn't going to shell out holiday rate for guys not on the clock that day either, and to me that's logical. Am I wrong here??

Mapp

Choo Choo
You worked 24 and were paid for 27.5 still, but you expected 11 hrs to be paid to you for a Thur and Friday you didn't work at all? I'm not understanding. Is it because you thought the remainder of your 27.5 which would be 3.5hrs should have been paid to you as holiday pay, even though you weren't on the clock those days? If so, I gotta ask you honestly, we you union before? I'm not even started my first day yet and I wouldn't expect such a thing as to be paid at a holiday rate for hours when I didn't even clock in that day. Hell I'm glad they paid me just for a full day of work I didn't even do at USPS when it came to a holiday. I got my regular clock hrs., but we didn't get dang holiday time unless we actually WORKED the holiday. USPS pays 3.5x on Christmas Day, but you don't get that unless you actually work it. I'm sure UPS isn't going to shell out holiday rate for guys not on the clock that day either, and to me that's logical. Am I wrong here??

Essentially he did not get paid for the UPS holidays. He is supposed to be paid 5.5 for each holiday. Since they worked him 24, he basically didn't get the paid holidays. He received only 3.5 hours of holiday pay instead of 11. Management abused his hours.

OMS isn't a bad gig, far better than other part-time sup positions, save for maybe security or other staff functions.

As for leaving the USPS. UPS *management* isn't worth it, go part time hourly and start air driving. Pick up a second job if needed. I left UPS from part time management and there are much greener pastures out there, I'm union now and make more, pay less for health care and I have a pension. The job is less stressful and easy. UPS oldtimers say UPS went downhill since they went public, but its even more pronounced in the past 7 years.

elo

So when you say some nights you were there until dispatchers came in, how long over your shift are we talking here? I was told my shift would be 5-10pm so outside of a few hiccups here and there, I will pretty much expect to get out of there closer to 10 than midnight.

It was only twice if I remember correctly. He was coming in early, but it was midnight. We were having some issues in center though that were causing routes to run later.

I'm not understanding what you mean about how you were paid during the week of Thanksgiving though. You worked 24 and were paid for 27.5 still, but you expected 11 hrs to be paid to you for a Thur and Friday you didn't work at all? I'm not understanding. Is it because you thought the remainder of your 27.5 which would be 3.5hrs should have been paid to you as holiday pay, even though you weren't on the clock those days? If so, I gotta ask you honestly, we you union before? I'm not even started my first day yet and I wouldn't expect such a thing as to be paid at a holiday rate for hours when I didn't even clock in that day. Hell I'm glad they paid me just for a full day of work I didn't even do at USPS when it came to a holiday. I got my regular clock hrs., but we didn't get dang holiday time unless we actually WORKED the holiday. USPS pays 3.5x on Christmas Day, but you don't get that unless you actually work it. I'm sure UPS isn't going to shell out holiday rate for guys not on the clock that day either, and to me that's logical. Am I wrong here??

I wasn't union with UPS, I was once upon a time a union member though. Management had made it clear that I was not to leave before every driver was in, so I was instructed to stay late. We are guaranteed 27.5 hours a week. The week I had to attend a funeral out of town I was paid for 27.5 hrs even though I was only there 11 hours that week. The week of Thanksgiving I worked 8 hours Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, 24 hours. UPS does not run in my area on Thanksgiving or Black Friday, but they are paid holidays with straight time. Myself and a few other sups were expecting to be paid for the hours that we worked, so 24 actual working hours and 11 hours for the other 2 days. We were all blindsided by a standard 27.5 hour check. It was especially frustrating since all of my other checks during peak were 34 hrs or more. It was all straight time, no time and a half, or double time.

FS3

Essentially he did not get paid for the UPS holidays. He is supposed to be paid 5.5 for each holiday. Since they worked him 24, he basically didn't get the paid holidays. He received only 3.5 hours of holiday pay instead of 11. Management abused his hours.

OMS isn't a bad gig, far better than other part-time sup positions, save for maybe security or other staff functions.

As for leaving the USPS. UPS *management* isn't worth it, go part time hourly and start air driving. Pick up a second job if needed. I left UPS from part time management and there are much greener pastures out there, I'm union now and make more, pay less for health care and I have a pension. The job is less stressful and easy. UPS oldtimers say UPS went downhill since they went public, but its even more pronounced in the past 7 years.

I'm not intending to make PT PCS supervisor a career, but at this center the former PTPCS is now moving to Local Sort sup, and the former local sort sup is now a full time sup. Not that I want to go that way, but, it's not like they have a driver position open here, and certainly not an air driver position. I'm going on my third day now, and while it's taking some getting used to the differences in terminology, this is actually looking like a cake walk compared to running even a small PO. Even though the environment is more hurried than at the PO, the actual amount of responsibilities a PTPCS has seems a lot less than those I had being a postmaster relief. I'm not complaining though either. LOL

FS3

It was only twice if I remember correctly. He was coming in early, but it was midnight. We were having some issues in center though that were causing routes to run later.

I wasn't union with UPS, I was once upon a time a union member though. Management had made it clear that I was not to leave before every driver was in, so I was instructed to stay late. We are guaranteed 27.5 hours a week. The week I had to attend a funeral out of town I was paid for 27.5 hrs even though I was only there 11 hours that week. The week of Thanksgiving I worked 8 hours Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, 24 hours. UPS does not run in my area on Thanksgiving or Black Friday, but they are paid holidays with straight time. Myself and a few other sups were expecting to be paid for the hours that we worked, so 24 actual working hours and 11 hours for the other 2 days. We were all blindsided by a standard 27.5 hour check. It was especially frustrating since all of my other checks during peak were 34 hrs or more. It was all straight time, no time and a half, or double time.

OK, so this is something I need to know. I'm entitled to the 27.5 guarantee, but even if the center is closed, they still have to pay me the 5.5hrs for that holiday? They can't cut me loose early in the week, pay the 27.5 to get out of paying the holiday pay? Is this written down somewhere that I can reference it? Because if I'm supposed to get it and they try to friend me out of it, then we're definitely going to come to a conflict about that.