Utah considers resuming firing squad executions

BrownArmy

Utah considers resuming firing squad executions...

Why not.

If we're going to do it, let's at least get away from 'cruel and unreasonable' punishment.

The whole 'lethal-injection' situation is embarrassing.

Line up seven shooters, only two have live rounds, the rest have blanks, everyone shoots for the heart.

To be fair though, a well-constructed hanging platform is probably the quickest method for execution...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The various "humane" methods of execution that we have invented over the years have nothing at all to do with being humane and everything to do with our guilt and squeamishness over the death penalty. We want the deaths we inflict to be clean and neat and tidy. Death is seldom that way and if our goal is truly to be as humane as possible then a firing squad is by far the best method to use.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I would think a guillotine would be a more guaranteed death facilitator than a firing squad. .

about the guillotine....

The authorities were leading a priest, a drunkard and an engineer to the guillotine. They asked the priest if he wanted to face up or down when he meets his fate.

The priest said that he would like to face up so that he will be looking toward heaven when he dies. So, they raise the blade of the guillotine, release it and it comes speeding down and suddenly stops just inches from his neck.

The authorities take this as divine intervention and release the priest.

Next the drunkard comes to the guillotine. He also decides to die face up hoping that he will be as fortunate as the priest. They raise the blade of the guillotine, release it and it comes speeding down and suddenly stops just inches from his neck.

So, the authorities release the drunkard as well.

Next is the engineer. He also decides to die facing up. They slowly raise the blade of the guillotine when suddenly the engineer shouts, "WAIT!!!… I think the problem is right there where the cable is binding!!!"

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Texas is facing the same problem that several states are having-the drug manufacturers in Europe who produce pentobarbital are bowing to pressure from certain groups and not selling to prison systems to carry out executions. I think a firing squad is an excellent choice, with possibly the electric chair as a backup. Ol' Sparky, as it was called, was retired in 1964. I say bring it back and fire it up. The hand wringers who say the death penalty is cruel are mistaken, in my opinion. In Texas, if you do the crime, you do the time. We have executions scheduled for March 18th and April 9,15,23, and the 28th. Shouldn't give these dirtbags 3 hots and a cot for the rest of their lives. Show the inmates the same compassion they showed their victims.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If the ORION team set things up in Utah.

upload_2015-3-11_7-12-52.jpeg

rod

Retired 22 years
about the guillotine....

The authorities were leading a priest, a drunkard and an engineer to the guillotine. They asked the priest if he wanted to face up or down when he meets his fate.

The priest said that he would like to face up so that he will be looking toward heaven when he dies. So, they raise the blade of the guillotine, release it and it comes speeding down and suddenly stops just inches from his neck.

The authorities take this as divine intervention and release the priest.

Next the drunkard comes to the guillotine. He also decides to die face up hoping that he will be as fortunate as the priest. They raise the blade of the guillotine, release it and it comes speeding down and suddenly stops just inches from his neck.

So, the authorities release the drunkard as well.

Next is the engineer. He also decides to die facing up. They slowly raise the blade of the guillotine when suddenly the engineer shouts, "WAIT!!!… I think the problem is right there where the cable is binding!!!"

There are three engineers on my wifes side of the family. A simple conversation that should take a few minutes always turns into a boring college lecture. I call it the "Sheldon syndrome (Big Bang". This joke is sooooooo true.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
They should broadcast it on live television. That might make some people think about being a thug.
I am personally opposed to the death penalty, but if our justification for using it is for its deterrent effect on crime then you are correct we need to make it public.

We also need to get over ourselves and quit being so guilty and squeamish. Use a firing squad, or else do it like the Chinese do with a bullet to the back of the head. The idea of loading one or more of the rifles with blanks in order to relieve guilt is a joke, since anyone with any real shooting experience can tell by the the recoil (or lack thereof) whether the round they just fired was live or a blank. The bottom line is that if we deem it morally acceptable for our society to kill people in the name of "justice" then we need to put on our big boy pants and do it properly or else not do it at all.

And as a completely separate issue, why is it that we as a nation are incapable of manufacturing a basic pharmaceutical compound such as Sodium Pentathol that has been around since the 1940's?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Can ANYONE tell me why in the hell we should want to make death painless for these thugs? They don't order the death penalty for stealing, or B/E or selling weed. These A-holes are rapists, child molesters, and serial killers.

Then they get hooked on hardcore drugs while in jail, making it hard to find a needle for the IV for the Lethal Injection drugs, and THAT'S cruel and unusual?!?!?!

Headshot's, quick, easy and right to the point. They don't deserve any respect or dignity. They deserve to be executed as quickly and cheaply as possible.

Leave it to the US government to take something so easy and make it so difficult and costly. Guillotine, cheap, easy, re-useable (Just keep sharpening the blade). Firing squad 7 bullets, guns and guys (ALL Re-useable). Electric chair, Re-useable AND free (Use some solar panels :D )

wkmac

I would think a guillotine would be a more guaranteed death facilitator than a firing squad. .

Just knew the Arabs were "a head" of the fashion curve. Funny how things always come back into fashion. Sounds like some of you might be tempted to start reading the Quran! ;)

The various "humane" methods of execution that we have invented over the years have nothing at all to do with being humane and everything to do with our guilt and squeamishness over the death penalty. We want the deaths we inflict to be clean and neat and tidy. Death is seldom that way and if our goal is truly to be as humane as possible then a firing squad is by far the best method to use.

Good points. We are trying to make death a painless process but the fact is, it is not nor is it easy. My question on the issue of the firing squad, for those who advocate it, would you want the State coming to you, handing you a rifle and then instructing you to go and kill someone and maybe more than one? Before your ego gets the better of you, investigate the psychological implications of being one of the shooters. This was a factor in ending firing squads in the first place however it is possible to do the same using a type robotic firing squad which solves this problem.

Years ago I watched a program on Angola Prison and even the prison officials were conflicted about their own rolls when it came to capital punishment so there is a human cost in doing this which ever way you go.

Death penalty appeals are not.

A death sentence to taxpayers is far more costly than a life sentence without parole because of said appeals process.