Vacation bidding

Has anyone ever heard of "vacation swapping"? A senior driver schedules a prime vacation week and then "gives" it to a junior driver so that they can have a week that they normally would not have enough seniority to get. The union was contacted about this and nothing has been done. In the 25 years I've been at UPS the vacation schedule always went by seniority. Last year I didn't get a week that I wanted because a much junior driver (28 below me) took the week. Is this happening anywhere else??

tourists24

It does happen here in my area.... We bid in November for the following year.... sometimes things come up and having a different week would help. If we find someone to switch weeks with us then the company doesnt have a problem with it. You still get paid for the week that you bid.

UPSGUY72

Has anyone ever heard of "vacation swapping"? A senior driver schedules a prime vacation week and then "gives" it to a junior driver so that they can have a week that they normally would not have enough seniority too get. The union was contacted about this and nothing has been done. In the 25 years I've been at UPS the vacation schedule always went by seniority. Last year I didn't get a week that I wanted because a much junior driver (28 below me) took the week. Is this happening anywhere else??

I take it the junior guy got that week because he talked a driver with more seniority then you to switch with him. Your SOL you don't have a right to that week.

Even if it those two drivers weren't aloud to switch there weeks you still wouldn't have gotten that week off so what exactly are you complaining about. Are you complain that nobody would switch with you ???

My wife told me this to offer a driver $100 to switch weeks so I don't have to take the kids out of school to go on vacation.

I'm in the top ten of seniority, I can have about any week I want. My point is, why have seniority when bidding doesn't go according to rank and file. I presume you are low on the list.

UPSGUY72

I'm in the top ten of seniority, I can have about any week I want. My point is, why have seniority when bidding doesn't go according to rank and file. I presume you are low on the list.

Bidding did go according to rank. After a senior to you driver pick a week he traded if with another person that has less seniority after you pick your weeks. As I said before you still wouldn't have gotten that week.

So again what are you complaining about ??? Your upset that the other two driver trade there weeks somehow thinking that you are entitled to that week. Your not get over it and move on. Maybe next year you'll be able to pick that week.

cascadehops

Bidding did go according to rank. After a senior to you driver pick a week he traded if with another person that has less seniority after you pick your weeks. As I said before you still wouldn't have gotten that week.

So again what are you complaining about ??? Your upset that the other two driver trade there weeks somehow thinking that you are entitled to that week. Your not get over it and move on. Maybe next year you'll be able to pick that week.

oh snap.lol. get over it badtothebrown.

rod

Retired 22 years
Once everyone had picked their vacations (by seniority) we were allowed to switch with someone provided you weren't on managements "bad boy" list at the time. If you arranged it early enough they even switched vacation pay for you. I traded alot of summer weeks with the younger guys if they had a good reason. Summer weeks and fall hunting season were always prime weeks that got traded alot.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What about the drivers between the senior driver and the OP? What if one of them wanted that week? We rarely if ever do vacation swaps here but if we do every driver between the two drivers in question must be asked if they want that week before the swap is approved. That is only fair as the week in question may have been closed out before any of them had the chance to bid on it. Senior drivers choosing premium weeks knowing full well that they will be trading them is not the way vacations should be selected.

I am on vacation next week. I had a junior driver (casual) approach me 3 weeks ago asking me if I would be willing to trade this week for one of his vacation weeks as he wanted to bring his kids to Disneyland. He offered $100 to sweeten the pot. I asked my on-car how this would work and he said we would have to go to every driver between us in seniority and ask them if they wanted the week. There are at least 20 drivers between us and I knew someone would want the week so I told the casual that I would keep the week.

Last edited:

UPSGUY72

What about the drivers between the senior driver and the OP? What if one of them wanted that week? We rarely if ever do vacation swaps here but if we do every driver between the two drivers in question must be asked if they want that week before the swap is approved. That is only fair as the week in question may have been closed out before any of them had the chance to bid on it. Senior drivers choosing premium weeks knowing full well that they will be trading them is not the way vacations should be selected.

I am on vacation next week. I had a junior driver (casual) approach me 3 weeks ago asking me if I would be willing to trade this week for one of his vacation weeks as he wanted to bring his kids to Disneyland. He offered $100 to sweeten the pot. I asked my on-car how this would work and he said we would have to go to every driver between us in seniority and ask them if they wanted the week. There are at least 20 drivers between us and I knew someone would want the week so I told the casual that I would keep the week.[/QUOTE]

Your OC is a maroon.

In my building of 134 + drivers if you want to switch vacation weeks you can you don't have to ask any other drivers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In my building of 134 + drivers if you want to switch vacation weeks you can you don't have to ask any other drivers.

If I was a driver in your center and if my seniority fell between the swapping drivers I would most certainly grieve any swaps that occured without asking each of the drivers if they wanted the week in question.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We have this happen on occasion and it's generally not a big deal. In fact, when I went on the cruise I had to ask one of the drivers to give me a couple of days that she had picked. She was fine with it. We didn't have to go through the seniority thing. As long as it is agreeable between drivers, no big deal.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have this happen on occasion and it's generally not a big deal. In fact, when I went on the cruise I had to ask one of the drivers to give me a couple of days that she had picked. She was fine with it. We didn't have to go through the seniority thing. As long as it is agreeable between drivers, no big deal.

Sorry, but it is a big deal.

Suppose you and I are in the same center. I am #9 on the seniority list and you are #29. If you asked me to swap a vacation week we would have to ask drivers #10-28 if any of them wanted the week. If no one wanted it we could do the swap; if someone did want it the swap would not be allowed.

It could have been that one of the drivers #10-28 wanted to choose that week but the week had been closed before the bidding got to them.

You and I in the same center--wouldn't that be a trip.:happy2:

kingOFchester

I would LOVE to get a week off over the summer so I could go away with my entire family (6). As it is now with school schedules we are unable to do this. But I agree, it would not be right to allow a swap unless all employees with seniority between the 2 drivers signs off on it. Again, it would certainly help me if a swap could take place.

Unfortunately, and at times fortunately, almost everything boils down to seniority.

UPSGUY72

dilligaf:940801 said:

Exactly it isn't a big deal.

hembone

We used to have a driver that was #2 on the senority list in our center and our supervisor would tell him to put in for every Friday off as a personal holiday (this was a long time ago when no days off were given unless you were scheduled off) and then let him work to deny a lesser senority employee the day off.

hembone

I can see a day or two but not bidding a vacation.

tourists24

Sorry, but it is a big deal.

Suppose you and I are in the same center. I am #9 on the seniority list and you are #29. If you asked me to swap a vacation week we would have to ask drivers #10-28 if any of them wanted the week. If no one wanted it we could do the swap; if someone did want it the swap would not be allowed.

It could have been that one of the drivers #10-28 wanted to choose that week but the week had been closed before the bidding got to them.

You and I in the same center--wouldn't that be a trip.:happy2:
there is no scenario set up in the contract saying you have to go down a seniority list to do a favor to switch a vacation. The company could allow it if they wish. If someone else has a problem with it then Id say the deal is off. But there is nothing that says you cant switch