Vacation entitlement

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
Ok, really asking for a friend. The screenshot is from Atlantic area supplement regarding vacation accrual. Had a coworker out on workman's comp from March 2021 till February 2022. At this time he is in a knockdown dragout with his on car, labor manager, and now even the ba about his current eligibility for vacation. His bank says 9 hours, the reason for this is lack of work for accrual in the last year. How do you read this? This is article 55 section 3 from the Atlantic area supplement.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220604-094523.png
    Screenshot_20220604-094523.png
    694.3 KB · Views: 66

tadpole

The way I read it is:
Since he was out on comp, it doesn't count as an interruption in work service due to illness or lack of business. So he should get the vacation he's entitled to.

But if it wasn't work related (illness or off the job injury), then he would still get a portion of his earned vacation. Say if he missed 50% of the year, he would get 50% of his vacation.

thecamel

That's what I read also. Seems pretty easy to understand. Yet there are now six grievances and counting on this issue because management won't budge. They're seeming to even try and sell some bull squat story to our ba in their defense. Unfortunately our ba is new and seemingly young enough that there are ???'s in his mind regarding the situation. Thanks for your response.

Up In Smoke

The way I read it is:
Since he was out on comp, it doesn't count as an interruption in work service due to illness or lack of business. So he should get the vacation he's entitled to.

But if it wasn't work related (illness or off the job injury), then he would still get a portion of his earned vacation. Say if he missed 50% of the year, he would get 50% of his vacation.
Spot on. Workers comp covers the first 52 weeks of benefits. Health, pension and vacation accrual.

ManInBrown

The vacation accrual when you are out is strange. I missed 6 months out on disability years ago from a minor injury outside of work. Didn’t lose any vacation. Following year when my bank was refreshed I got everything. Was also approved for FLMA when I got back to work but I never used it. I was told by another driver that if you use individual FLMA days they can deduct each day missed from your vacation bank. Then I was told by Stewie that they can deduct the days from vacation, but they don’t always do it. I wasn’t taking any chances. I’d be fuming if I was docked vacation days. Makes no sense, why would you be docked vacation days? I’m not asking to be paid for days missed using FLMA. Why would they make you burn thru vacation days for using FLMA?

Last edited:

born2Bwild

Check with your BA, the company will fill your bank with vacation hours according to your seniority once in a contract lifetime. You must ask for it

thecamel

So funny end to this story....or maybe not so funny. BA received a pay history for the past year and a half on this driver the beginning of this past week. Turns out he was coded an 18 for payroll. Crazy what a difference this makes. Crazier the hypothesis from his on car as to how this may have happened.

DOK

So funny end to this story....or maybe not so funny. BA received a pay history for the past year and a half on this driver the beginning of this past week. Turns out he was coded an 18 for payroll. Crazy what a difference this makes. Crazier the hypothesis from his on car as to how this may have happened.
What does it mean being coded an 18?

thecamel

In our center code 18 is disability off job. Wasn't sure if it was universal or not. Code 17 is workman's comp. Hence no vacation accrual, no pension accrual. No alot of things.