Vacation pay...

JonFrum

Well, if retireing is regarded as a form of quitting, then this Contract language should apply:

ARTICLE 23. SEPARATION OF EMPLOYMENT
Upon discharge, the Employer shall pay all money due to the employee during the first (1st) payroll department working day. Upon quitting, the Employer shall pay all money due to the employee on the payday in the week following such quitting.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Jon, retiring and quitting are not the same and it is rare that any unpaid vacations are paid that quickly. Our most recent retiree told me that it took almost 6 weeks and he had to file a grievance. To me that is not the right way to treat an employee who has devoted 30+ years to the company.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Can't speak for this being for Union employees but the vacation earned is added to your last day worked and that is the actual retirement date.
If the driver had 6 weeks vacation to be paid, then the 6 weeks is as it should be.

JonFrum

Can't speak for this being for Union employees but the vacation earned is added to your last day worked and that is the actual retirement date.
If the driver had 6 weeks vacation to be paid, then the 6 weeks is as it should be.
If the vacations are scheduled vacations (and assuming the Original Poster is a Teamsters Union bargaining unit member) then this language applies . . .

ARTICLE 17. PAID FOR TIME
Wages for properly selected vacations, in all instances, will be paid to the employees no later than the workday prior to their vacation. If the employee does not receive his/her vacation check, the Employer will make all reasonable efforts to provide the check the following day including delivery by Saturday or Next Day Air.

dgr72vette

That's wrong ! My last day was Dec 1st and I am owed a pro-rated pay only vacation check. If I was considered on vacation and still on the books then why did I receive a bill and already pay for my benefits which was due Jan.1st ?

I think over 3 weeks should be enough time for them to figure out the amount, I did in about 10 minutes.

I retired on November 30, 2010 - still have not received my vacation pay. Supervisor has now filed two inquiries and they're going around in circles - almost like it is lost.....

bcsru

I retired in Nov 2009 and I have to yet get my vacation pay. I have called the local UPS and the Union, but no results yet