Vacation payoff

evilleace

I agree with not letting vacations be sold during this time it would save the compant money and there would be more work when the economy comes back and there is work for everyone then people can start selling vacations again don't know why you would want to.

(Grumpy Old Feeder Driver)

some1else

Banned
I agree with not letting vacations be sold during this time it would save the company money

actually thats probably backwards. if a driver "sells" a week of vacation it will save a cover driver to cover that week. the pay evens out whether its the reg driver working or not they have to pay the vacation week + pay someone to run the route for a week. the difference being they must pay a second set of benefits if its the cover driver.

not supporting it for that reason; but i work under a contract and it says i can work my vacation so if i chose to do so its my business. this year being different i decided i would let a junior employee get the work; but it just put off the inevitable by 2 weeks :(

actually thats probably backwards. if a driver "sells" a week of vacation it will save a cover driver to cover that week. the pay evens out whether its the reg driver working or not they have to pay the vacation week + pay someone to run the route for a week. the difference being they must pay a second set of benefits if its the cover driver.

not supporting it for that reason; but i work under a contract and it says i can work my vacation so if i chose to do so its my business. this year being different i decided i would let a junior employee get the work; but it just put off the inevitable by 2 weeks :(
Good for you, that's 2 pay checks he would not have had otherwise.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Here you must take your vacation. Now guys have worked in the past if needed. But with layoffs i have had to argue with several drivers over the last few weeks over this.

My pet peeve was when a driver with seniority would take a prime week of vacation closing that week for bidding and then work through it.

Its not fair to the junior guys that could have really used that week for a family vacation etc.

SuperSup

Here you must take your vacation. Now guys have worked in the past if needed. But with layoffs i have had to argue with several drivers over the last few weeks over this.

My pet peeve was when a driver with seniority would take a prime week of vacation closing that week for bidding and then work through it.

Its not fair to the junior guys that could have really used that week for a family vacation etc.

But it save on benefits, which helps our company, which in turn is good for all of us. Look at the Big Picture, not the union poster.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Super why don't you do what you do best! Go fudge some numbers! Its not better for the company! The employees are the company! I keep forgetting that you are from the new era of management! We are scum in your eyes!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Super why don't you do what you do best! Go fudge some numbers! Its not better for the company! The employees are the company! I keep forgetting that you are from the new era of management! We are scum in your eyes!

I asked him and he's never convinced me he is a supervisor.
I think he's a troll.

SuperSup

I agree with you; the employees are the company. And I am an employee of the company that is above you (in more ways than just pay and knowledge). You say "We are scum in your eyes" and I absolutely disagree with that. My driver group is awesome, they appreciate their jobs and do very well. They don't bite the hand that feeds them, and those that don't appreciate the job leave very quickly, because of their coworkers, not me. Had you said "I am scum in your eyes" I would have said Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner.

helenofcalifornia

I think it would be a safe bet that you don't talk to your drivers like you talk in here. In fact I would go to Vegas and bet my paycheck that you don't talk like this to "your" drivers. They would chew you up and spit you out in a split second.

upser_J

Wait until you are older, then those vacation weeks will be needed. It will take more than two days to recoup from a regular work week.

thats fine, if you need to take the weeks off, take them. But at the same time, for all non-drivers and especially part timers, with the recession and all, having the option to essentially get paid double for a week would be wonderful to some. They union forced the issue about management letting us work our vacations in CHEMMA. I definitely understand the point of view that it is unfair to lower seniority employees that can't get the good weeks off because all the higher seniority guys have them and then some of them come in and work after all. My suggestion would be to say if you take a vacation between june 1st and the week after labor day, you have to take it, otherwise any other time during the year, you can work it if you want.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
But it save on benefits, which helps our company, which in turn is good for all of us. Look at the Big Picture, not the union poster.

Time for education, how many of the drivers Actually take the layoff?????? Sooooo if they work inside they get paid and now get the pension paid and insurance paid. Ok you say well they layoff the most junior pt employee....... Well, as you know that they can't keep that straight and probably don't give the most junior employee off all week (they find a senior employee to take the day off) which would pay his bennies and pension.

Soooooooo moral of the story is just because a Ft employee is laid off doesn't mean that the company saves on pension and benefits....

Also I received my pay increase this year how about you????
Nope no drop in my 401k match either??????

That is where the real savings was for this company, (although I wish they would have given some of the supervisors the raise because they really do a good job). My on-road does care...and will be up front if it is going to be a bad day....

wannabeups

That is just being selfish.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I agree with you; the employees are the company. And I am an employee of the company that is above you (in more ways than just pay and knowledge). You say "We are scum in your eyes" and I absolutely disagree with that. My driver group is awesome, they appreciate their jobs and do very well. They don't bite the hand that feeds them, and those that don't appreciate the job leave very quickly, because of their coworkers, not me. Had you said "I am scum in your eyes" I would have said Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner.
Your not above me in any ways! Actually if you like you can below me!

Your probably a sup from upstate and you live in a ups fantasy world. But your attitude here in Chicago would eventually get straightened out!

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I am not saying that I want the option to go away. All I was saying was when times are tough and runs are being cut, (30 runs outta our barn since Jan.), if guys would actually take the vacation time they have coming it would create more work for ALL the drivers and maybe there would be fewer layoffs. I understand though, 25 years and still living paycheck to paycheck. Maybe that's why.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I agree, consideration is approriate during these times. I was just feeling self-conscious to some of the comments made that seemed to be against the practice entirely.